Bummer and Rodon return, Detwiler and Not going to Cishek anymore DFAd

Kalapse

10 minutes ago, jamesdiego said:

Bizarre that Detweiler is given the boot.   Why on earth didn’t Ricky give him more opportunities this season?   Even when he was shutting teams down he barely pitched.  We would have at least had a better handle on how good he truly is.  A couple shaky starts recently doesn’t mean much.  

I could see the case for Fry over him.  And Ruiz might be gone soon regardless.  But I choose Russ over Gio 100%.  And I have a feeling Detweiler would have been better out of the pen in the postseason over Rodon.  

yeah, how will we ever no what kind of pitcher **checks notes** 34 year old 12 yr veteran Ross Detwiler is without a few more one inning relief appearances. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Nothing to do with “feelings”. this is the throw shit on the wall and hope something sticks that Sox fans have come to expect since 1980.

Remember that the "shit" here is a #3 overall pick who has had multiple stretches of dominance as a big league starter.  I'm as skeptical about Rodon's long term prospects as anybody, but there's ample reason to think he has the tools to be a valuable piece in the playoffs--certainly more reason than the likely roster alternatives.

6 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Nothing to do with “feelings”. this is the throw shit on the wall and hope something sticks that Sox fans have come to expect since 1980.

What are you even complaining about this time? Jaysus. Rodon is the 26th man on a 26 man roster and you're crying about him being on the team... because no team sticks with a highly regarded 1st round pick who has shown flashes of success sprinkled amongst a plethora of injuries over a few years. No team would ever put a lefty with an 80 grade pitch in their bullpen for a playoff run. SMH

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Carlos Rodon healthy is a MUCH better option than a healthy Detwiler or Cishek right now.  Even a mostly healthy Rodon is a better option than those guys.  Dragging 1980 into it for no good reason just shows it is about your feelings.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Considering how many more times they should have used Detwiler this season, there should have been ample opportunity to see if it could be more sustainable. But alas, for some reason he's the one guy RR won't give innings to even when he should be in.

I always wonder why they barely would trot him out yet we were using and abusing other guys.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Carlos Rodon healthy is a MUCH better option than a healthy Detwiler or Cishek right now.  Even a mostly healthy Rodon is a better option than those guys.  Dragging 1980 into it for no good reason just shows it is about your feelings.

And for the record...

5 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Remember that the "shit" here is a #3 overall pick who has had multiple stretches of dominance as a big league starter.  I'm as skeptical about Rodon's long term prospects as anybody, but there's ample reason to think he has the tools to be a valuable piece in the playoffs--certainly more reason than the likely roster alternatives.

And Carson Fulmer was the genius pick the prior year. Fulmer has had the better season this year, 0.2 WAR vs. Rodon’s -0.3.

Makes no sense to use him until next year, besides rehab. Of course if Rick Renteria uses him and he sucks, it will be the manager’s fault, because nothing is ever anyone else’s fault.  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/fulmeca01.shtml

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Honestly, I'm still not sure about that, but the good news is there's basically no chance I have to worry about seeing Rodon in a White Sox uniform next year so I'll just be happy about that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Honestly, I'm still not sure about that, but the good news is there's basically no chance I have to worry about seeing Rodon in a White Sox uniform next year so I'll just be happy about that.

This is my point. If a regular appearance outing or two, and he does well in a role he has done but three times five years ago, and playoff appearances are limited to a 7-1 or 1-7 score, then it doesn’t matter. 

However, if the FO/RR determine on the basis, an outing, the shortest sample size possible, Rodon is a meaningful bullpen option the following week, that is ridiculous.

Try to salvage yet another top draft pick next Spring. In the meantime, use a veteran pitching well (0.2 WAR, 3.20 ERA)  over -0.2 9+ ERA no meaningful bullpen experience. It reeks of a necessary desperation.

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If he is healthy....again big if but there is no risk......he is better than any other option and why not bring him back?   To me it would be foolish to write him off when they do not have to...maybe he is a bullpen piece for the rest of his career.  That is great asset to have from the left side.

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Detwiler is going the wrong way and has a history showing that wrong way is really him.  He's probably better than Ruiz. Cishek is probably better than Ruiz, but it's close enough for a who cares?

Detwiler is also a free agent after the year for whatever that’s worth.

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

This is my point. If a regular appearance outing or two, and he does well in a role he has done but three times five years ago, and playoff appearances are limited to a 7-1 or 1-7 score, then it doesn’t matter. 

However, if the FO/RR determine on the basis, an outing, the shortest sample size possible, Rodon is a meaningful bullpen option the following week, that is ridiculous.

Try to salvage yet another top draft pick next Spring. In the meantime, use a veteran pitching well (0.2 WAR, 3.20 ERA)  over -0.2 9+ ERA no meaningful bullpen experience. It reeks of a necessary desperation.

At some point common sense about the relative ability levels of Ross Detwiler and Carlos Rodon has to come into play.  No sane organization is going to banish the Carlos Rodon over a 9 era in two starts, and pretend that he is only going to be a 9 era pitcher going forward.  This isn't OOTP.  They need to look at how Rodon is throwing, how his stuff is progressing and then compare that to what you know you can expect from a mediocre journeyman in Ross Detwiler.  Trying to compare them using JUST their stats from this season is laughable.  If the team thinks they can get a vintage Rodon arm, or even something approaching it, you make the move to banish Detwiler every single time.  The Sox are also the only ones who know how Rodon has looked while throwing in Schamburg and his other side work. They know what his velocities looked like, his movement, his health, and his stuff.  Projecting his season stats into the ignorance of what he is actually doing is actual desperation.

30 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

And Carson Fulmer was the genius pick the prior year. Fulmer has had the better season this year, 0.2 WAR vs. Rodon’s -0.3.

Makes no sense to use him until next year, besides rehab. Of course if Rick Renteria uses him and he sucks, it will be the manager’s fault, because nothing is ever anyone else’s fault.  

And despite all of this, the Sox cut Fulmer, as have something like four other teams.  It is almost as if the teams are looking at something past this season's WAR to decide how much a guy can help them.

34 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Can you please stop with all the whining Longo?

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rodon can absolutely be a weapon out of the pen IF he's healthy.  Big IF, obviously.  Really don't understand the people bellyaching about it.

I feel a tad bad for Ross because he has pitched pretty well this year.  But outside of his initial 9 innings or whatever, he's been back to Ross Detwiler.  I am not losing any sleep over it, and would absolutely take my chances with a healthy Rodon over Ross in a playoff game.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

If he is healthy....again big if but there is no risk......he is better than any other option and why not bring him back?   To me it would be foolish to write him off when they do not have to...maybe he is a bullpen piece for the rest of his career.  That is great asset to have from the left side.

For next year, you're willing to pay him $5 mil or so in arbitration? If he stays healthy for like 3 weeks now, that's about all you can hope for from him. Let someone else pay him $1 million next year if he looks good the next couple weeks. 

3 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

One intriguing potential option is using Rodon as an opener.  Sox pen options are better than Cease, Dunning, or Lopez.  In a must win game, bullpen day could be pretty formidable.

If we need a fourth starter, go with Rodon as opener for Cease.  Give Dylan the shortest of leashes and then go to the pen.