Encarnacion / DH Spot

Chicago White Sox

What’s the plan here?  We can’t go to war in the playoffs with Encarnacion as our DH.  I 100% supported the signing and was all for giving him a chance down the stretch to find himself, but he’s more or less cooked (just look at his StatCast numbers below).  If Vaughn isn’t an option, then we really have to do the Grandal/McCann C/DH combo.  However, doing that requires us calling up Collins or Mercedes back and taking EE off the playoff roster.  Are those guys no longer eligible for the playoff roster?  Would the Sox actually be that cruel to a veteran like Encarnación?  If we’re serious about winning this fall, Edwin shouldn’t be part of the postseason equation.

2b871ce7-1ab0-4cb6-85b3-066b4636c131

• Like 1

I'm afraid we are stuck with him as DH.  At least he may run into one as he has.  I am honestly very concerned offensively about Moncada and Robert right now.  Physically Yoan just is not himself this year.  Long term, Robert will figure it out, but time is running out for him to do so this year.

Feel free to prove me wrong, boys.  I would be thrilled.

1 minute ago, Dominikk85 said:

I would play EE only against lefties and against righties play grandal first, jose DH and mccann catcher (or mccann 1b and grandal Catcher) because that way you still have an injury replacement in case of injury.

I agree with that. No way Collins comes up to DH. That would be a joke.

43 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

EE did sit on the bench a lot recently. I would play EE only against lefties and against righties play grandal first, jose DH and mccann catcher (or mccann 1b and grandal Catcher) because that way you still have an injury replacement in case of injury.

Here’s the problem though, both catchers are significantly better against LHP right now and need to be in the lineup:

• Grandal: 159 wRC+
  • McCann: 218 wRC+
  • Encarnacion: 101 wRC+

There really isn’t a role for the Parrot right now and I hope they don’t do the emotional thing and hand him a postseason role.

55 minutes ago, wegner said:

I'm afraid we are stuck with him as DH.  At least he may run into one as he has.  I am honestly very concerned offensively about Moncada and Robert right now.  Physically Yoan just is not himself this year.  Long term, Robert will figure it out, but time is running out for him to do so this year.

Feel free to prove me wrong, boys.  I would be thrilled.

I am more concerned about Yoan and Robert right now. You're right about both. Yoan has had physical issues and doesn't look like himself. Robert is a rookie who has run into a tough patch, and who knows when he'll break out of it. This season has been great, but I am concerned about this team's offense right now. I don't expect EE to help much. The division is not a lock.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Here’s the problem though, both catchers are significantly better against LHP right now and need to be in the lineup:

• Grandal: 159 wRC+
  • McCann: 218 wRC+
  • Encarnacion: 101 wRC+

There really isn’t a role for the Parrot right now and I hope they don’t do the emotional thing and hand him a postseason role.

It's even more important now than ever before withe the slumps of Robert and Moncada to get the extra bat like McCann into the lineup. Moncada and Robert will play no matter what and Engel could be in RF . Putting Encarnacion on the sidelines is just losing a RH bat and replacing him with another RH . We probably see Mazara the rest of the season in hopes he somehow, some way rediscovers what made him good against RH pitching. His disaster of a season and Moncada's also has really screwed up our lineup against RH's. That's the main concern so I'd rather see who is best against righties not lefties.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside