Trevor Bauer Thread (Mazara Free Zone)

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

He's already coming off of his idea to never seek more than a one year deal. He will be fine in a 5 man rotation. Let him pitch every 4th when the season is on the line and it matters, and tell him if Giolito or Keuchel or whoever is throwing well, and they were pitching on day 4, he will go on day 5. The guy is strange, a bit of a loose cannon, but can pitch. I doubt JR goes for him, but you never know.

All depends on if he sticks to these 2 ideas or not. One year deal and 5 man rotation, sign him ASAP.

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

If one does, that might be the team that gets him.

On a 1 year deal - I don't get why a team would worry about him pitching more. If it works out, awesome and if it doesn't, worse case you are giving some extra rest to your arms that are signed LT and/or are going to be around a lot longer.  Is there a reason why Bauer wants to pitch more - does he have a view that the more you throw the stronger and more resilient the arm is?  

46 minutes ago, ptatc said:

All depends on if he sticks to these 2 ideas or not. One year deal and 5 man rotation, sign him ASAP.

Bauer: I want two years and to pitch a day earlier.

Sox: Here is one year and 25 million. 

Sox: Here is one year and 30 million. 

Sox: Here is one year and 35 million. 

"Per Morosi, Trevor Bauer has signed with the White Sox."

Edited by SonofaRoache

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

On a 1 year deal - I don't get why a team would worry about him pitching more. If it works out, awesome and if it doesn't, worse case you are giving some extra rest to your arms that are signed LT and/or are going to be around a lot longer.  Is there a reason why Bauer wants to pitch more - does he have a view that the more you throw the stronger and more resilient the arm is?  

not sure. He just said in an interview that one of the criteria he will look at when signing next year is that he wants to pitch every 4th day.

43 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

We'll see won't we. He impresses me as a guy who holds his ideas more than a couple of million dollars. Many teams will offer him a boatload of money.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

I agree, and it's not like the Sox have a bunch of veteran arms that are demanding they pitch every 5th day as well. 

At best, you enter 2021 with Giolito and Keuchel locked into the rotation, no questions asked. Dunning obviously looks like he fits into that category, but he's still coming back from TJ and we still are only working off a very small sample size of ML work from Dunning. Cease and Lopez has shown absolutely zero command in 2020. They both need to take large steps before being counted on as legit starting options for a team with World Series aspirations. Stiever and Kopech both need to spend a large portion of 2021 in AAA, in my opinion. 

Can a mix of those guys make a 5 man rotation? Probably, but it's not great. Having a stable, reliable arm like Bauer would go a long way in improving those odds. Now all the sudden you only need to fill two slots and have Dunning-Cease-Lopez-Stiever-Kopech to mix and match with. 

I bet if you ask those pitchers they will not like the idea of pitching on short rest some times and extra rest other to accommodate his pitching every 4 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

5 minutes later Haymen confirms Bauer signs with the Padres for 2 years and 72 million.

Fixed.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Tony said:

My response would be....tough. You figure it out. 

They need starting pitching. He is very good at it. You don’t like Bauer....find me a realistic alternative, and we’ll talk. 

I guess I wouldn't risk injury to the pitchers who have been on 5 day rotation for their MLB career. There us just too much injury risk but to each his own. Telling your team tough deal with it is not a recipe for success.

If he backs off that demand and signs a 1 year deal I'm all for it.

Edited by ptatc

42 minutes ago, Tony said:

My response would be....tough. You figure it out. 

They need starting pitching. He is very good at it. You don’t like Bauer....find me a realistic alternative, and we’ll talk. 

For a team whose owner is complaining about losing $100m this year? Sign Quintana, bring Kopech, Crochet, Stiever, Lopez up as necessary. Gio, Keuchel, Dunning, Q, and best performing of those 4. We have depth, use it?

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

For a team whose owner is complaining about losing $100m this year? Sign Quintana, bring Kopech, Crochet, Stiever, Lopez up as necessary. Gio, Keuchel, Dunning, Q, and best performing of those 4. We have depth, use it?

This should work too. Q can easily slide to the pen if needed. The Gonzalez role this year. If they go this way I hope the acquire a new RF.

3 hours ago, Tony said:

I think the Q thing makes sense as well, but then something else needs to get upgraded, as you mentioned. 

As of right now their closer is a free agent this offseason. There is talent in that bullpen but they absolutely need a veteran presence out there whether it is Colome or not. If funds are limited, in this league, where there might be 4 elimination games in the playoffs from now on...gimme bullpen help first.

9 hours ago, oneofthemikes said:

He's at the top of my wishlist for this offseason. Analytically-minded pitcher, plays with a ton of swagger, TOR type of stuff.

Yea he would be an amazing add not just for the rotation, but for the other guys (Giolito, Dunning, etc.) breaking down film and the analytics. Not sure how he would vibe with Cooper's old school mentality but this is a guy that helps an organization similar to what Danny Farquhar did (cept like 100 times better).

6 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Yea he would be an amazing add not just for the rotation, but for the other guys (Giolito, Dunning, etc.) breaking down film and the analytics. Not sure how he would vibe with Cooper's old school mentality but this is a guy that helps an organization similar to what Danny Farquhar did (cept like 100 times better).

Then Coop needs to ride off into the sunset. If he can't get on board with the current analytics of baseball, he's a dinosaur and needs to be replaced.

I soured on Coop back in January when he was on the White Sox Talk podcast with Chuck. They were talking about analytics and some of the tools at the Sox disposal and Rapsodo came up. Chuck interjected and said "...you mentioned Rapsodo. For those people who don't know, can you explain it?" and Coop responded, "No, let them go figure that out...that's not worth my time". Some people may just shrug that off, but it sounded to me like he doesn't fully understand how to implement it. 

Edited by oneofthemikes
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Don't forget the numerous tweets from Nightengale saying the Sox are not in contact with Bauer.