Ron Gardenhire retires effective immediately

South Side Hit Men

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/news/ron-gardenhire-retires-as-tigers-manager

DETROIT – Ron Gardenhire on Saturday announced his retirement, effective immediately, after three seasons as the Tigers manager and a 16-year Major League managerial career. Gardenhire, 62, finishes his managerial career with 1,200 wins, which ranks 46th in MLB history. Gardenhire told general manager Al Avila in a meeting on Saturday afternoon that "he wasn't feeling well from a health perspective" and intended to retire, Avila said. Bench coach Lloyd McClendon, who has managed the Pirates and Mariners for parts of seven seasons, will manage the Tigers for the rest of the year.

"The way I've been feeling since I had that bout of food poisoning in Minnesota and the stomach problems and the stress involved with this job, I told Al I'll step down right now," Gardenhire said during a news conference before Saturday's game against the Indians. "This is tough. It's a tough day for me. I didn't expect it, to be honest, when I walked in today. But I know the way I've been feeling. I don't want to feel like I'm running out on everybody, but I know I have to take care of my health."

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/news/ron-gardenhire-retires-as-tigers-manager

DETROIT – Ron Gardenhire on Saturday announced his retirement, effective immediately, after three seasons as the Tigers manager and a 16-year Major League managerial career. Gardenhire, 62, finishes his managerial career with 1,200 wins, which ranks 46th in MLB history. Gardenhire told general manager Al Avila in a meeting on Saturday afternoon that "he wasn't feeling well from a health perspective" and intended to retire, Avila said. Bench coach Lloyd McClendon, who has managed the Pirates and Mariners for parts of seven seasons, will manage the Tigers for the rest of the year.

"The way I've been feeling since I had that bout of food poisoning in Minnesota and the stomach problems and the stress involved with this job, I told Al I'll step down right now," Gardenhire said during a news conference before Saturday's game against the Indians. "This is tough. It's a tough day for me. I didn't expect it, to be honest, when I walked in today. But I know the way I've been feeling. I don't want to feel like I'm running out on everybody, but I know I have to take care of my health."

It's terrible that he is having health issues.  Good luck to him in retirement.

19 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's terrible that he is having health issues.  Good luck to him in retirement.

Yes, hopefully they are short term in nature. Ron was a good MLB manager, and his teams seemed to always be prepared, especially against the White Sox.

Assuming he doesn't reconsider his retirement decision, his final managerial record is:

Overall Record

• Minnesota Twins 1,068 - 1,039 .507 (Six First Place AL Central Finishes & AL 2010 Manager of the Year)
  • Detroit Tigers 132 - 241 .354 (Highest finish third place 2018)

Ron Gardenhire's Record against the Chicago White Sox

• Jerry Manuel 21-17 .552 (2002-2003)
  • Ozzie Guillen 80-67 .544 (2004-2011)
  • Robin Ventura 25-31 .446 (2012-2014)
  • Rick Renteria 19-28 .404 (2018-2020)
  • Overall 145-143 .503
Edited by South Side Hit Men

18 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This seems odd.

If it was anybody else I would be thinking maybe "health issues" is the 2020 version of "pursue other interests" or "personal issues" when they want you out but you get to save face. On second thought, maybe he was pushed out. 

His .354 winning percentage makes Gardenhire the least successful manager in Tigers history

18 hours ago, Texsox said:

If it was anybody else I would be thinking maybe "health issues" is the 2020 version of "pursue other interests" or "personal issues" when they want you out but you get to save face. On second thought, maybe he was pushed out. 

Tigers were actually having a shockingly good season, so I dont' think that was the case - now it could have been one of those situations where he new next year he wasn't going to be back either way and thus why not start sooner vs. later. Hopefully whatever is ailing him isn't serious and is more short-term vs. long-term.  

He was a very good manager for a long time.  

15 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Tigers were actually having a shockingly good season, so I dont' think that was the case - now it could have been one of those situations where he new next year he wasn't going to be back either way and thus why not start sooner vs. later. Hopefully whatever is ailing him isn't serious and is more short-term vs. long-term.  

He was a very good manager for a long time.  

I agree. The tigers actually overperformed this year, don't think the tigers blame him for their record when they go full tank mode.

Maybe they wouldn't have brought him back anyway but I think with his health situation and the added risk of corona he was not willing to take the risk anymore (or his family didn't want him to).