Crochet

AJ'S Cousin

Just now, ptatc said:

So it has to be young for it to count? Helping veterans improve is not a sign of a good pitching coach?

Okay give me a veteran that he helped for an extended period of time.  It also seems like most young guys go backwards with him (Rodon, Giolito, Cease, Lopez)

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

26 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Who is the last young person he has helped or improved for an extended period of time? 

Have you looked at our bullpen lately?  Marshall and Cordero were taken off the scrap heap, and turned into serviceable to very good relievers.  Foster and Heuer are killing it out there.

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Okay give me a veteran that he helped for an extended period of time.  It also seems like most young guys go backwards with him (Rodon, Giolito, Cease, Lopez)

None of pitchers have gone back because of  him. Lopez pitched pretty well in 2018 but not in 2019. Did he help Lopez in 2018 but not 2019? Rodon has been injury plagued due to that lack of follow through he's had since college.

Giolito has praised Cooperfor his work with the mental preparation for the game. I know youre going to use the "he had to go to the high school pitching coach to change his mechanics" Washington changed his mechanics not the Sox. How is Cooper supposed to know what feels comfortable between the two if he never saw the original one.

Cease is a product of the new analytics of pitching. Work on spin and tracking and throw high fastballs because that's when spin of the 4 seamer is at it's best. I'm  sure they are still working on that as Cease is still learning as well. Cease has never been a pitcher with good control. The hitters in the minors just swung at his stuff. MLB hitters don't go that.

Veterans currently on the staff, I would say Marshall and Cordero are doing pretty well after being picked off the scrap heap. Most of the current young guys on the staff are doing pretty well too. However, I'm sure you think that Cooper has no influence on their development in the minors and nothing to do with Foster, Heuer or Crochet right now. They only talk to Zaleski and the other minor league instructors now.

The Sox pitching staff has been doing pretty well this year overall. most of these pitchers have learned through the Sox system or have done well once they got to the Sox. I can't think of a single pitcher who has only regressed since they came to the MLB level with the Sox.

22 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Didnt know the brewers drafted him 3 years ago

I don't remember them mentioning it either. I thought the story was that he was shorter and skinnier and no other big school would give him a scholarship.

On 9/21/2020 at 9:12 AM, AJ'S Cousin said:

Starter or reliever??    

Starter.  With this stuff, he has a chance to be a TOR guy and they need to see if he can do it.  Starters have far, far more value than relievers.

Yes, I  thought he was a dubious pick, and if they leave him as a reliever, I will, unfortunately, have been correct.  

Starter.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2020 at 8:51 AM, ptatc said:

So it has to be young for it to count? Helping veterans improve is not a sign of a good pitching coach?

Q got 2 strikes and started pecking at corners when he was here.  With the Cubs the wicked slider turned into a putaway pitch. So there's at least one pitching coach better than Cooper.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Starter.  With this stuff, he has a chance to be a TOR guy and they need to see if he can do it.  Starters have far, far more value than relievers.

Yes, I  thought he was a dubious pick, and if they leave him as a reliever, I will, unfortunately, have been correct.  

Starter.

If he is an elite reliever like Chapman, Miller, and Kimbrel in their prime then it would still be worth it. 

I'd like to see the Sox do something along the lines of the Rays next year. Bring back Rodon one more time (yikes, i know), have Crotchet, Kopech and him all work as openers. Maybe something like 1-4 innings per appearance. Lopez too. Your rotation should remain with Gio and Keuchel as starters. Dunning can be one, but he may be better off piggy backing off on of the aforementioned guys while he builds his innings up. Cease? Wild Card. But I just think, why limit roles for these guys? The last three spots can be held down by a group of 4-6 *possible* long term starters (rodon, kopech, dunning, cease, crotchet, lopez). (lopez is probably out) But in this scenario you can get all those guys 100+ innings and start leaning on ones that break away from the pact for more. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Someone please explain to me how Cooper isn’t a good PC. 

Lopez and Cease have taken significant steps backwards under Cooper's tutelage. The same goes for Giolito. He literally went back to work with his high school pitcher coach to fix his issues instead of Coop.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Lopez and Cease have taken significant steps backwards under Cooper's tutelage. The same goes for Giolito. He literally went back to work with his high school pitcher coach to fix his issues instead of Coop.

For Lopez and Cease didn't he do away with (practically) each of their Curveballs?  Which was each of their best pitches... 

• Like 1