9.21.20 GT | White Sox @ Cleveland | 5:10PM CT

Tnetennba

Chicago White Sox (34-19, 17-9 on the road) at Cleveland (29-24, 12-11 at home) for a 4 game set in a possible preview of a potential Wild Card matchup.

Dane Dunning (2-0, 2.33 ERA, 28K, WHIP of 0.93) vs Aaron Civale (3-5, 3.80 ERA, 59K, WHIP of 1.20)

Sox are 2-4 vs Cleveland on the season and 1-1 vs tonight's starter Aaron Civale.  Sox dropped the 1st matchup 4-3 on July 28th.  Civale went 6.2 giving up 2ER but K'd 9.  Sox won 2-0 on Aug 7th, Civale went 7 giving up only a single earned run while K'ing 5.

Sox come in sputtering a bit after dropping 2 of 3 in ugly fashion in Cincinnati.  Sox are 2-3 in their last 5 after a 6 game win streak.

Edited by SouthWallace

Expect to see McCann behind the plate with Dunning pitching, he has caught all but one of his starts (Collins caught his first start). Hope Tim gets the day off if he has any soreness with the cramp he experienced yesterday. I expect the lineup below, if Tim is a go, he slots first and Madrigal 9th.

2B Madrigal 1B Grandal DH Abreu LF Jimenez 3B Moncada McCann CF Robert RF Mazara SS Sanchez

In the last week  Moncada 1 for 21 with 11 k.  Robert 1-23 with 9k.   Obviously, we need them to turn it around.  Not sure if rest isn't in order.  Yoan had to come in on his "last" rest day when Tim went out (with Yolmer going from third to short).

14 minutes ago, Dallas Kong said:

If we struggle this series, it’s probably OK. Oakland could pass us and line us up to play Houston, which I think is favorable.

Curious how most Sox fans feel about this.  Tribe fans are conflicted; don't know whether the Rays or Sox would be the better match-up...haven't really been considering the A's. (Tribe doesn't have much of an incentive to move up; who wants to play the Yankees?)  But never figured Sox fan might want Houston instead of Cleveland.  Tribe lineup is SO bad and the Sox is so good, it's difficult to imagine Cleveland hitting enough even with all their pitching.  That would argue  CLE fan should hope they get the Rays, but Indians never play well in Tampa, and the Rays are loaded on the mound and are well-managed.  It is a quandary!

It's hard to see why Chicago should fear Cleveland unless the Tribe pitches out of its mind.  

19 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

When slumping like above, laying a bunt or slapping it against the shift may make sense just to help you mentally.

Yoan has tried bunting into the shift multiple times, typically to a Soxtalk meltdown.  He just hasn't been able to get one down as of yet.

17 minutes ago, Avory said:

Curious how most Sox fans feel about this.  Tribe fans are conflicted; don't know whether the Rays or Sox would be the better match-up...haven't really been considering the A's. (Tribe doesn't have much of an incentive to move up; who wants to play the Yankees?)  But never figured Sox fan might want Houston instead of Cleveland.  Tribe lineup is SO bad and the Sox is so good, it's difficult to imagine Cleveland hitting enough even with all their pitching.  That would argue  CLE fan should hope they get the Rays, but Indians never play well in Tampa, and the Rays are loaded on the mound and are well-managed.  It is a quandary!

It's hard to see why Chicago should fear Cleveland unless the Tribe pitches out of its mind.  

I don’t really want to stay right where we are and face Bieber (or Civale or Carrasco). If we rise up and get to face Toronto, I’m OK with that. Their ace is a lefty and they have garbage beyond that. If we sink and face Houston, their hitting is suddenly suspect (I wonder why) and they have a lefty, Greinke, and some decent 23 y/o, which I’m fine with. And as the standings sit now, I’m pretty confident it will be one of those three.