I agree with the Big Hurt about Robert

jaws7575

Robert in the two hole is not crazy. Not just for "protection", just to adjust his mind set in the box.  Maybe just test it out these last few games to see how they pitch him with Joseviour next. They need to something to ebb this slump. Luis is going to be needed very much so in the playoffs. It also might benefit Yoan to slide back to the 5 or 6 hole, maybe take some pressure off of him as we all know what he's fighting through. Just spitballing . That's why I'm not in the dugout making the lineup.   That said, we all are hoping someone, or Luis himself, finds a way to shake this off & return to the player he was in August. 

20 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Fernando Tatis Jr is hitting under .200 with a .650 ops in 75 September at bats.   Players slump apparently.  

Weird how that Tatis thread just stopped getting updates, and that all other threads also stopped getting updates on Tatis regardless of the relevance to the discussion.   Can't put my finger on it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Guy is just struggling. He has swung and missed through a lot of hittable fastballs.

Can't hit the fastball if slider is playing with your mind.  I saw him K on a slider that bounced in the exact middle of the LH batter's box.  Get him to a shrink.  Wouldn't hurt to see Engel in CF for a few days.  He'd have made that catch.  I know of a good shrink in Schaumburg, near the training facility.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

saw a replay of that lindor double...

yikes that should have been caught.. he jumped and the ball was like lower than him.

It’s frustrating I know. However, those types of mistakes are expected from a rookie in his first season so I wouldn’t give up on him yet. He will hopefully learn from it and grow!

Edited by maloney.adam

16 hours ago, tray said:

I am concerned that he isn't hitting the ball as hard and   therefore is not providing the home run threat that he did  in July and August.

https://www.si.com/mlb/whitesox/features/a-dive-into-luis-roberts-september-slump

Great article, thanks for posting.

Robert will have a great career, just hope he can bounce back a bit for the playoffs.

• Like 1

Just some random thoughts on Robert, Engel and Mazara:

1. Robert can range to his left or right with the best and fastest in baseball.  However, he has not played balls hit to the Center field wall very well. I think he will learn to do that, but for now, that is an issue for him.

2. Adam Engel almost looks like Mike Trout when he goes up against the CF wall, times his leap, and tries to rob a home run. That was one of his things last year and we have not seen it this year with Robert in Center.

3. Engel makes more contact at the plate than Mazara. He also hits a few home runs and is a faster, better base runner.

4. So maybe Roberts is the best fit for RF, at least  right now.  That opens up Center for  Adam Engel, his best defensive position. And it puts Mazara on the bench, his best position for the last few games and the playoffs.

I know, this sounds like an out of the box short term solution for the rest of the season, but sometimes those can be useful.

Edited by tray
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Weird how that He Who Shall Not Be Named thread just stopped getting updates, and that all other threads also stopped getting updates on He Aho Shall Not Be Named regardless of the relevance to the discussion.   Can't put my finger on it

Fixed.

9 hours ago, tray said:

Just some random thoughts on Robert, Engel and Mazara:

1. Robert can range to his left or right with the best and fastest in baseball.  However, he has not played balls hit to the Center field wall very well. I think he will learn to do that, but for now, that is an issue for him.

2. Adam Engel almost looks like Mike Trout when he goes up against the CF wall, times his leap, and tries to rob a home run. That was one of his things last year and we have not seen it this year with Robert in Center.

3. Engel makes more contact at the plate than Mazara. He also hits a few home runs and is a faster, better base runner.

4. So maybe Roberts is the best fit for RF, at least  right now.  That opens up Center for  Adam Engel, his best defensive position. And it puts Mazara on the bench, his best position for the last few games and the playoffs.

I know, this sounds like an out of the box short term solution for the rest of the season, but sometimes those can be useful.

i agree... put robert in right field for awhile... put engel in center.

On 9/21/2020 at 10:51 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

This should be the everyday lineup:

• SS Anderson 
  • 3B Moncada
  • C/1B/DH Grandal (Catches Keuchel/Cease starts)
  • 1B/DH Abreu
  • LF Jimenez
  • CF Roberts
  • C/DH McCann
  • RF Mazara / Engel / Dyson
  • 2B Biggie Smalls

Grandal should be 5th and Abreu and Eloy 3rd-4th

1 hour ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Grandal should be 5th and Abreu and Eloy 3rd-4th

That negates his main attribute, walking to allow the primary run producers to drive him in. 

Putting Grandal 2nd and Moncada 5th (or behind Roberts if still ill/slumping) also works.

Hope Grandal returns for the final series.

Edited by South Side Hit Men