9-23 Game Thread: Sox @ Cleveland (5:10 PM)

SoxBlanco

1 minute ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Didn't we have like a 97% chance of winning the division a week ago or was that just making it to the playoffs? 

But that didn’t take into account the caliber of starting pitching the Sox would have to face. This slump isn’t shocking, to be honest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

So have I.  Thing is, the manager ain't changing.  The player will bust out of their slumps I have no doubt, if not in this year's playoffs than going forward.  But think is other teams are trying to win too and have pro players -- and they have managers not actively hurting their cause. This is just highlighting a massive problem and that is the manager.

The manager isn’t swinging the bat. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

sox worried about being healthy, not falling out of top 4 seeding. 

Someone called these the highest leverage innings of the year lol. Its very clear the sox don't feel that way. They'd rather have their bullpen guys healthy in a week. 

Have at it eberyone.

The offense is the concern. They got 5 days to find their timing l.

Then why did they say they wanted to win the division last week? Mighty convenient to switch to we don't care after you start choking. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

sox worried about being healthy, not falling out of top 4 seeding. 

Someone called these the highest leverage innings of the year lol. Its very clear the sox don't feel that way. They'd rather have their bullpen guys healthy in a week. 

Have at it eberyone.

The offense is the concern. They got 5 days to find their timing l.

Worried about being healthy?  Here’s what Ricky did tonight:

• Had Giolito throw 119 pitches in his last start before the playoffs
  • Had Heuer pitch again after throwing two innings yesterday
  • Had Crotchet pitch on back to back days the same day he said he probably wouldn’t pitch him on consecutive days
  • Had Colome warming up a day after experiencing back spasms

I haven’t even ripped Ricky for anything tonight, but how can you say with a straight face that his goal was keeping people healthy?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

If they can go 2-2 to finish the season, there's hope still.

1-3 or 0-4, that's all she wrote...

Sure, momentum is defined by that day's starting pitcher, and we still have Giolito and Keuchel on our side, to hopefully win at least one of the first two games, individually, but is there anyone who actually trusts Cease/Dunning/Lopez in a possible 3rd game?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

• Had Crotchet pitch on back to back days the same day he said he probably wouldn’t pitch him on consecutive days

I haven’t even ripped Ricky for anything tonight, but how can you say with a straight face that his goal was keeping people healthy?

Boom 

• Like 5

Report to the station for murder.

• Haha 3

Just now, caulfield12 said:

If they can go 2-2 to finish the season, there's hope still.

1-3 or 0-4, that's all she wrote...

Sure, momentum is defined by that day's starting pitcher, and we still have Giolito and Keuchel on our side, to hopefully win at least one of the first two games, individually, but is there anyone who actually trusts Cease/Dunning/Lopez in a possible 3rd game?

Sign me up for even getting to a 3rd game, easy decision

1 minute ago, fathom said:

But that didn’t take into account the caliber of starting pitching the Sox would have to face. This slump isn’t shocking, to be honest.

Some of us said this last week. But others were blinded by clinching, thus unable to have realistic conversation. If you paid attention to this season, it was obvious we were gonna struggle these first 8 of our final 10. And if you wanted to qin the division, you'd see our play and coaching was a problem for this week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Look how quickly the Indians pulled Bieber...if anything, the Indians SHOULD have cared less about that final result tonight than the White Sox, but they played like the much more relaxed team with nothing to lose.   We're obviously pressing at this point.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

EE and leadership this year....not seeing it.

McCann has been a much more important leader IMO.

You can't be a leader of anything hitting .170 and as a DH with an OPS well into the 600's.

What would be the difference between Jay/Alonso DHing vs. EE this year?   Except for about $5-7 million wasted...and Vaughn blocked.

Hard to be a team leader when your batting average couldn't even buy you a pair of Jack in the Box tacos.

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Some of us said this last week. But others were blinded by clinching, thus unable to have realistic conversation. If you paid attention to this season, it was obvious we were gonna struggle these first 8 of our final 10. And if you wanted to qin the division, you'd see our play and coaching was a problem for this week. 

I was roasted for saying the team was lucky AF to take 3/4 from Minny.  People are wild man.  Confirmation bias is a helluva thing.  This team was struggling against  Minny and got lucky with sequencing and some BABIP.  Now that luck is gone and they are getting slaughtered.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

One of the best posts you'll see.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And you just KNOW that if we get swept out by the Yanks, the excuse was going to be "We ran into the hot team, it happens in baseball, nothing you can do" when it was completely in our control this week.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I know I said it annoyingly too much, but it was obvious the Sox needed their lefty hitters to get hot in order to help against these tough righties. It hasn’t happened

• Thanks 1

Just now, fathom said:

I know I said it annoyingly too much, but it was obvious the Sox needed their lefty hitters to get hot in order to help against these tough righties. It hasn’t happened

Do the yankees have left handed starters? if they do then we should play them...

though I don't think they do...

Just now, fathom said:

I mean you're my boy so I'm always agreeing but we knew that back in early August.  This team feasts on shitty lefties that bad teams throw out. 

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Look this season is not over, the team can get hot again.  But we are seeing the holes.  If this gets renteria shit canned it will be worth it imo.

Sorry, but if you think JR is going to fire his manager after making the postseason given the financial situation teams are facing, you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.

• Like 2

Indians ALWAYS seem to be better managed and their front office is Top 5 in the game for their limited resources.

They've lost Kluber, Bauer and Clevinger now...for various reasons, and still managing to go into the playoffs as a VERY dangerous team despite so many offensive deficiencies across that roster.

It's amazing when you look at how limited their budgets have been...and look at their record of success ever since Francona was brought into the fold.

Yet we're always completely BLIND to the benefits of having that upper-tier manager and spending the money...we'd rather just give it away in FA to Manny's Friends and Family and this year to more mostly garbage after Keuchel.

• Love 1