9-23 Game Thread: Sox @ Cleveland (5:10 PM)

SoxBlanco

I've never started a game thread before. Ever. I'm starting this one early to make sure it's mine. This is as close to a playoff game as we can get. Giolito vs Bieber...it could actually be a game 1 playoff matchup. After the struggles of late and the brutal loss in extras, this would be a huge game to win. 

Let's. F***ing. Go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I was thinking last night "man, I'd hate to be in that clubhouse right now." Timmy was fired up after his last AB (spiked his bat) and then obviously reacting to Angel's terrible calls. Team looks angry. Hopefully they can channel that into the right kind of anger - on the field, not at themselves. 

This is the time for guys like Keuchel and Abreu to be leaders in that clubhouse and get people in the right headspace to compete. Let's show it tonight, boys.

• Like 1

I don’t think the team has looked lifeless.  Last night’s game should have been a W after the nice extra inning hitting—the ending was like a weird perfect storm.  The first loss to the reds was a rookie who had never been above a-ball getting (predictably) lit up.  A little adversity will be good for these guys.  Just keep playing hard.

• Like 1

Roberts struggles are really worrisome, not because they aren't expected, but because we are heading into the actual games that matter (playoffs).

Renteria's management of the bullpen and negligence in making switches in the line up (Mazara / Edwin / moving Yoan down or switching things up) is problematic. 

Yoan completely shitting the bed.

But other than that, things seem pretty good to me. I'm really worried about Yoan/Roberts.... but I don't think this past week of games is an indictation of what this team will do in the playoffs -- I think it's a bad stretch that they will work out of as a team. Roberts tho seems to have hit his rookie wall and Yoan isn't the same player from last year, combine that with the black holes of Edwin/Mazara and this elite offense starts to look pretty mediocre. 

Tonight's game will be a lot of fun.

• Like 1

If he is going to be considered the ace, Giolito needs to bring it tonight. Shut the Indians down. If they have to win 2-1, 3-2, fine. It's time to play like a post-season team. I don't care who is on the mound for the other guys.  They're going to face tough pitching in the playoffs. I had hoped the Cubs series would be meaningless. That isn't the case now. I know that all teams have slumps, but a first place team should not get swept in a four-game series.  It is time for Giolito to put an end this shit. This has been an exciting season. Don't end it like the 1969 Cubs.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

If he is going to be considered the ace, Giolito needs to bring it tonight. Shut the Indians down. If they have to win 2-1, 3-2, fine. It's time to play like a post-season team. I don't care who is on the mound for the other guys.  They're going to face tough pitching in the playoffs. I had hoped the Cubs series would be meaningless. That isn't the case now. I know that all teams have slumps, but a first place team should not get swept in a four-game series.  It is time for Giolito to put an end this shit. This has been an exciting season. Don't end it like the 1969 Cubs.

Agreed 100% -- can't be afraid of good pitching. Gio has to pitch like a #1 if we are going to view him as our Ace for the future. 

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Keuchel needs to call them all out again.. I wish Abreu was more vocal

I said after the Minnesota series that these last 10 games would tell us a lot about our Sox. The pitching we were facing was gonna be real tough. So far we are 1 and 4 and get Cy Young tonight. DK speaking up won't help because it is not an effort issue. Many of our guys are young and still finding their way. We have EE and Mazara who have been bad all year. This roster is still flawed but with a few additions, it can become a complete team that is slump proof. That starts with great pitching. We have to be able to rely on 3 starters, if not 4 going 6 or 7 innings most nights if we want to hoist that trophy. This takes a lot of pressure off of your offense and bullpen. We also need a good RF to balance our attack and to bring in a good utility man to occasionally replace slumping players and to give guys adequate rest. Lastly, we need RR to step his game up. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I said after the Minnesota series that these last 10 games would tell us a lot about our Sox. The pitching we were facing was gonna be real tough. So far we are 1 and 4 and get Cy Young tonight. DK speaking up won't help because it is not an effort issue. Many of our guys are young and still finding their way. We have EE and Mazara who have been bad all year. This roster is still flawed but with a few additions, it can become a complete team that is slump proof. That starts with great pitching. We have to be able to rely on 3 starters, if not 4 going 6 or 7 innings most nights if we want to hoist that trophy. This takes a lot of pressure off of your offense and bullpen. We also need a good RF to balance our attack and to bring in a good utility man to occasionally replace slumping players and to give guys adequate rest. Lastly, we need RR to step his game up. 

I wholeheartedly agree with all of us. As it sits now, the Sox are still probably a year away from being a legit World Series contender. There have been a lot of good things to come out of this season but this is still a very young team. Hopefully the right pieces will be added this offseason to make this team more well rounded.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Lets just keep putting a black hole in the middle of the lineup and pretend that its gonna work this time...

To be fair, Edwin played well yesterday.

Also, I’m assuming Grandal might still not be 100%, even though he got that desperado AB late last night.

Edited by Dallas Kong