9-23 Game Thread: Sox @ Cleveland (5:10 PM)

SoxBlanco

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Worried about being healthy?  Here’s what Ricky did tonight:

• Had Giolito throw 119 pitches in his last start before the playoffs
  • Had Heuer pitch again after throwing two innings yesterday
  • Had Crotchet pitch on back to back days the same day he said he probably wouldn’t pitch him on consecutive days
  • Had Colome warming up a day after experiencing back spasms

I haven’t even ripped Ricky for anything tonight, but how can you say with a straight face that his goal was keeping people healthy?

1. He has said he'd get starter pitch counts to that level before playoffs
2. didn't like using Heuer at all, bullpen is short, but playoffs have no days off so want to see it
3. If he's on post-season roster, he needs to pitch back to back days
4. Colome said he had an inning (agree HE SHOULD NOT PITCH)

I agree on 2 and 4, but no idea who you use without Heuer. 

They should be using Cishek, Ruiz and Gio if it means keeping those guys fresh for a postseason run. 4th seed 1st seed doesnt matter.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

This offense has fallen apart though. I get what you’re saying about the roller coaster aspect of the season, but they will be done a week from today if some of these hitters don’t turn it around.

I agree, they're up against the clock. That much is obvious. They're also more likely to play like their season record in 4 days than they are to play like they have the last 3 days. 

They looked good vs the Twins. They have lost a few CLOSE games to good teams. That shit happens.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I agree, they're up against the clock. That much is obvious. They're also more likely to play like their season record in 4 days than they are to play like they have the last 3 days. 

They looked good vs the Twins. They have lost a few CLOSE games to good teams. That shit happens.

I thought the offense looked bad vs the Twins.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Maybe going home and facing the Cubs will break us out of the slump just in time?

Them going out and scoring seventy five runs in a weekend does the exact same thing to their chances as these last couple have

31 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yet if you were to conduct a poll RIGHT now, 90+% would still expect Renteria and Cooper to both be back next season, along with McEwing...god knows what's going on with Robert/Moncada, but it's hard for me to blame Menechino with the offensive numbers the team has put together this year, especially considering the Hahn FA acquisitions other than Keuchel and McCann has been BOTTOM 3 in all of MLB since he started as a GM with the now infamous Jeff Keppinger acquisition.

The whole organization is inbred and bizarre. Not sure if Renteria had any say in the hand-me-down staff he was handed (Weekend @ Cooper's, Clueless Joe, Capra and Boston.

Ricky's replacement candidates:

• Kenny Williams would angle for his son Kenny Williams Jr. to take over. VS.
  • Ozzie and Jerry would be angling for Ozney

Look what the Bulls did this off-season, once Michael had enough of being the laughing stock of the league. He hired competent professionals to conduct a professional job search, OF QUALIFIED AND COMPETENT PROFESSIONAL CANDIDATES OUTSIDE OF THE ORGANIZATION. They hired one of the best executives in the sport. Said executive has full control of the organization. He looked at the current head coach, found him to be inadequate, and replaced him a respected coach. This is what professional organizations do. 

If Jerry still had final call over the Bulls, John Paxton would be their President, Gar Forman their General Manager and Jim Boylen their head coach. FACT! The only reason Michael made the change is he was so embarrassed by the laughing stock the team had become, the fan chants of Fire Gar Pax, The All Star game with no Bull's presence. Bull's Gar Pax Jim Boylen. The Sox have been run the same way, for 35 years since Reinsdorf purged the competent management Bill Veeck hired (Roland Hemond) and replaced him with ass-clown Hawk Harrelson. Hasn't changed since.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, mqr said:

I’ve watched enough baseball to know teams go through funks and not lose my shit at every one.  They have a couple days do figure it out. 

It was bound to happen. With no off days they gotta be mentally tired. I think they lost some edge when they clinched. Its a young team. Live and learn it will be a good lesson going forward

6 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Ricky is not getting fired so the entire point is moot. 

but this may literally be the most nonsensical thing put on this board. 

Edited by mqr
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, mqr said:

Ricky is not getting fired so the entire point is moot. 

but this may literally be the most nonsensical think put on this board. 

Really. Jerry has handed out jobs to Ozzie's and Kenny's kids, once you are a friend of Jerry, you are a friend for life, and jobs are for life (Jerry's or yours).

If a poll was slapped up here, both win win over RR for 2021 manager.

There would be dumber hires than Ozney or KW Jr, here's Jerry Reinsdorf's first major move with the White Sox.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I couldn't be happier with my decision to not give a shit about the results of this "season" because you people sound absolutely miserable.  

That will always by definition be the case for the fan bases of 29 out of 30 teams, yes?

Yes, expectations being raised exponentially by last week's results and then falling off a cliff (and out of first so suddenly) certainly has something to do with it.   Half of it's about Renteria, the other half over Moncada/Robert's "ongoing" (into 2020) concerns.  That and the usual skepticism about adding significant free agents, RF, for example.

We do at least have Vaughn/Kopech/Crochet to look forward to, in order to keep the excitement level dialed up a notch.

• Like 1

I don’t think the players should hang there heads from this. They made it a close division race this year and made it to the playoffs. That’s something that is an accomplishment from where they were and the season is not even over yet. There are 4 games yet to be played. Young teams go through phases like this and eventually get over the hump. I think the fan base is overreacting to this honestly. I would rather have them lose the division and just worry about the seeding. Also, so the rest of the division doesn’t gun for them next year and it’s fresh in there minds to come out fighting when there’s an actual full length season and quite honestly a real season with fans in the stands. This has been a weird year because they are only playing less than half the games that would normally be played. 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Honestly, they looked like shit against the Twins too.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Someone needs to have Robert do the crying white girl dance on tik tok for shits and giggles in the lockeroom to break up his slump. 

I think he needs to take a lesson from Jose Canseco and get a real “slumpbuster”.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I apologize for this loss. I put the game on my shoulders by starting my first ever game thread. I thought I could get things turned around, and I f***ed it up. Completely on me. Now somebody pick me up tomorrow, please. 

Oh shush.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The whole organization is inbred and bizarre. Not sure if Renteria had any say in the hand-me-down staff he was handed (Weekend @ Cooper's, Clueless Joe, Capra and Boston.

Look what the Bulls did this off-season, once Michael had enough of being the laughing stock of the league. He hired competent professionals to conduct a professional job search, OF QUALIFIED AND COMPETENT PROFESSIONAL CANDIDATES OUTSIDE OF THE ORGANIZATION. They hired one of the best executives in the sport. Said executive has full control of the organization. He looked at the current head coach, found him to be inadequate, and replaced him a respected coach. This is what professional organizations do. 

If Jerry still had final call over the Bulls, John Paxton would be their President, Gar Forman their General Manager and Jim Boylen their head coach. FACT! The only reason Michael made the change is he was so embarrassed by the laughing stock the team had become, the fan chants of Fire Gar Pax, The All Star game with no Bull's presence. Bull's Gar Pax Jim Boylen. The Sox have been run the same way, for 35 years since Reinsdorf purged the competent management Bill Veeck hired (Roland Hemond) and replaced him with ass-clown Hawk Harrelson. Hasn't changed since.

Can the son take over the Sox too?

Perhaps the son doesn't want to be bothered. They're going to get rid of the Sox sooner or later.

What paper wealth they do have clearly comes from the basketball side - especially after Balmer grossly overpaid for the Clippers.

The Reinsdorfs will never get rid of their cash cow Bulls or the Sistine Chapel of the NBA.

9.2 million to 3.2 billion ?

And inherited Michael Jordan too boot ? 

You'll never see that again in sports.

Man, did they luck out.

Promised post-Jordan era championships. 20 years later Bulls fans are still waiting despite being the most supportive fans in the NBA. Up until last year they were consistently in the top 3 in attendance.  Yet, they get rewarded with teams consistently in the bottom third in payroll. 

That whining about having only 50 cents garbage wouldn't play well on the West Side.

Edited by GradMc