So many here treat baseball like football

Look at Ray Ray Run

It's not.

The seasons have peaks and valleys. The Sox won 20 of 25 games; that's remarkable, that's called a peak. No team plays .800 baseball all year. 

The Sox now are in a bit of a valley, just as they started the season. GUess what? They're win percentage is still .607. That's a 98 win team; you guys can go ahead and bump the preseason win projections, but I'm 99% sure not many predicted a 98 win team. The valleys for good teams hurt MORE because the games are closer. Our valleys last year were 8-0 blowouts.

So many here wear the emotions of a baseball game likes it's an NFL SUnday. It's nonsense. Seasons run in runs; hitting can be contagious, bullpens run together frequently, SP tend to get hot together. It's human nature. It's how all large sample games work; it's a collection of many small samples which have a lot of noise.

The White Sox aren't hitting. They're still a good hitting team. 

You should be excited that the way the Sox are losing is a way that won't be possible in the playoffs; because those pitchers won't be used.

Baseball is a long season. It's fun to get excited but so many people lose the grander picture. 

Right now the Sox are worried about staying healthy first, and staying in the top 4 seeds second. Honestly they probably don't care as much about a division this year as others due to the top 4 seed rule. You can get angry that you think these games are all must wins, but it's just not being treated that way.

6 months ago we were all just begging for baseball. COVID had overcome. I made a guarantee to myself then that if we got baseball, I would enjoy it. I have been miserable watching this team for the past few years; this year, they're fun, exciting, competitive and on pace to be a NINETY EIGHT WIN team. Have they been consistent? No, but almost NO TEAM is. 

I've read that people aren't excited for the playoffs, and they're in football mode and that this team stinks now. What in the fuck? They've outperformed every expectation put in front of them, and we're going to see post-season baseball for the first time in 12 years while suffering in the midst of a financial crisis and a pandemic and people want to complain because they didn't win TWO games?

People are taking this for granted, and it's that which is frustrating to a fan and a human in this world we live in. You don't like what you're watching, then watch something else... but calling this a trash product when these guys are putting a top notch product on the field is pure nonsense.

Go Sox!

ANd Luis Robert is going to shut a lot of dumb asses up come October. Rant over.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1

No. The division is on the line and the playoffs start Tuesday. No one wants to hear that peaks and valleys mess. Or that players have taken it easy after clinching. Our guys are who they are for the most part. They have a shot if Moncada and Robert can bounce back to reach the ALCS. But that may be asking for a lot. 

Edited by SonofaRoache
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

A “valley” less than a week before the postseason starts is no time for a Pollyanna pep talk. What’s happening is troubling. 

and that's a lot of the playoffs; timing and luck. Getting hot at the right time. The Sox aren't hot now, but the could get hot on Saturday, or Monday. That's baseball.

Complaining and calling this a shit product and being critical of everyone on the team and in the organization is just complete nonsense.

For a group of fans that have experienced such little success over 40 years to be so arrogant and off putting about the success they achieve is hilarious to me. It's like a terrible golfer who throws a fit on every hole after every bad shot and putt and then never even celebrates the very rare good shot. His expectations are at a level that is just nonsensical. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

No. The division is on the line and the playoffs start Tuesday. No one wants to hear that peaks and valleys mess. Or that players have taken it easy after clinching. Our guys are who they are for the most part. They have a shot if Monconda and Robert can bounce back to reach the ALCS. But that may be asking for a lot. 

Waiting for all those fans that predicted a .600 + win %, since they're so disgusted by the product they're seeing.

People acting like they don't have a shot again struggle to understand the streaky nature of the game.

• Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Waiting for all those fans that predicted a .600 + win %, since they're so disgusted by the product they're seeing.

People acting like they don't have a shot again struggle to understand the streaky nature of the game.

True, but the saying goes those who are hot heading into the playoffs are at an advantage. And who cares about the winning percentage prediction before the season? The data has changed and so do expectations accordingly. Also, I believe a majority of fans here thought we'd win between 33 and 36 games, which is the likely scenario. 

2 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

As a Michigan fan cheering for a team all season long that is really entertaining and good only to go into the state of Ohio to have your soul ripped out at the end of the season seems exactly like football to me.

Don't worry Milton is Vince Young 2.0 not even Harbs can fuck this one up.  I hope.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The White Sox took 3 of 4 from Minnesota one week ago. People have just lost their minds.

I'm sure the Sox players are concerned about their play since they were talking to each about it. And that has nothing to do with the fact we had a 6 game lead on Cleveland a few days ago and it may be 1 tomorrow. Or that we had a 3.5 game lead on Minnesota a few days and that may be gone shortly. It is penant race time so the play needs to pick up. Even if we lose, it is important for them to get some good vibes back. 

8 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

August 21st 2 out of 3 from the Cubs and September 14th 3 out of 4 from the Twins.  Show me the other series wins this season against good teams.   Show your work.  Show me our story of success this year against good teams.  

So your answer to an already small sample of games - 60 - is to break them down into even smaller samples and dissect them and discredit the team that way. Interesting way to watch a team play a game. 

If you removed the White Sox from the conversation, here are the records of the following teams: (I removed the Cubs and the Twins because since they're good teams that the Sox didn't lose to so they don't count in your eyes because they don't fit the criteria, even though they're 50% of the Sox winning opponents lol)

KC: 21-24
DET: 21-22
Cards: 25-24
Indians: 25-22
Reds: 27-27

So tell me again, how are the Cards, Indians and Reds superior to the "losing teams" the Sox have beaten? Since the Sox wins vs those teams don't count, then the winning teams wins vs the Sox don't count. So what are we left with? A bunch of .500ish teams. 

So please explain to me again how the Sox just can't beat any teams that are as good as the .500 cards and Reds.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So your answer to an already small sample of games - 60 - is to break them down into even smaller samples and dissect them and discredit the team that way. Interesting way to watch a team play a game. 

If you removed the White Sox from the conversation, here are the records of the following teams: (I removed the Cubs and the Twins because since they're good teams that the Sox didn't lose to so they don't count in your eyes because they don't fit the criteria, even though they're 50% of the Sox winning opponents lol)

So tell me again, how are the Cards, Indians and Reds superior to the "losing teams" the Sox have beaten? Since the Sox wins vs those teams don't count, then the winning teams wins vs the Sox don't count. So what are we left with? A bunch of .500ish teams. 

So please explain to me again how the Sox just can't be any teams that are as good as the .500 cards and Reds.

The Cardinals are consistently competitive. One other team has had a nice 5 or 6 year run. One is on the rise with very good starting pitching. The Royals, Tigers, and Pirates are slouches right now and have been for a few years. 

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So please explain to me again how the Sox just can't beat any teams that are as good as the .500 cards and Reds.

Well I look forward to our matchup next week with the Tigers and Royals.  

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

39 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's not.

The seasons have peaks and valleys. The Sox won 20 of 25 games; that's remarkable, that's called a peak. No team plays .800 baseball all year. 

The Sox now are in a bit of a valley, just as they started the season. GUess what? They're win percentage is still .607. That's a 98 win team; you guys can go ahead and bump the preseason win projections, but I'm 99% sure not many predicted a 98 win team. The valleys for good teams hurt MORE because the games are closer. Our valleys last year were 8-0 blowouts.

So many here wear the emotions of a baseball game likes it's an NFL SUnday. It's nonsense. Seasons run in runs; hitting can be contagious, bullpens run together frequently, SP tend to get hot together. It's human nature. It's how all large sample games work; it's a collection of many small samples which have a lot of noise.

You should be excited that the way the Sox are losing is a way that won't be possible in the playoffs; because those pitchers won't be used.

Baseball is a long season. It's fun to get excited but so many people lose the grander picture. 

Right now the Sox are worried about staying healthy first, and staying in the top 4 seeds second. Honestly they probably don't care as much about a division this year as others due to the top 4 seed rule. You can get angry that you think these games are all must wins, but it's just not being treated that way.

6 months ago we were all just begging for baseball. COVID had overcome. I made a guarantee to myself then that if we got baseball, I would enjoy it. I have been miserable watching this team for the past few years; this year, they're fun, exciting, competitive and on pace to be a NINETY EIGHT WIN team. Have they been consistent? No, but almost NO TEAM is. 

I've read that people aren't excited for the playoffs, and they're in football mode and that this team stinks now. What in the fuck? They've outperformed every expectation put in front of them, and we're going to see post-season baseball for the first time in 12 years while suffering in the midst of a financial crisis and a pandemic and people want to complain because they didn't win TWO games?

People are taking this for granted, and it's that which is frustrating to a fan and a human in this world we live in. You don't like what you're watching, then watch something else... but calling this a trash product when these guys are putting a top notch product on the field is pure nonsense.

Go Sox!

ANd Luis Robert is going to shut a lot of dumb asses up come October. Rant over.

Didn’t you once tell us it was very possible if not probable Luis Robert would have no valleys?

I do agree with most of what you wrote. Playing the Yankees in round one isn’t optimal but they can at least lose one, and is it that much different than playing Cleveland? You have to beat them all anyway. 

I am hoping this is like 2005, bad baseball followed by another hot streak. Besides, I didn’t think they would win 34 games.

• Like 1

My concern is that every Sox playoff team in my lifetime, except 2005 of course, had an offense that totally disappeared in the playoffs.  I know this is a different bunch of guys, but their current great Chicago power outage resembles those other teams.

My hope is Moncada looks more like the guy who smoked that triple tonight and Timmy goes on a tear starting tomorrow or against the Cubbies. When TA is on fire, the offense follows.  It seems that nothing is going to stop Jose this season.

It’s hard to beat teams over .500 when your two best players (Robert & Moncada) are contributing nothing offensively, your “leader” Tim Anderson has looked like his 2018 form in his last 4 games, Abreu and Eloy getting eaten by breaking balls, an automatic out in RF and DH. The Sox really aren’t a contender they just are bum beaters and very inconsistent against teams that you have to beat come playoff time. 

• Thanks 1

Football is of the lowest common denominator, by the lowest common denominator, for the lowest common denominator. Most people these days have the attention span shorter than a gif.

Baseball time has shrunk in this owner's contracted season, but it still has the peaks and valleys. They are just magnified due to the shrunk schedule.  If Sox talk was the GM, they would go through more managers in a season than WalMart does across the nation.

Thousands of posts "they don't care", "yell at the players", "nobody is trying". To many, verbal abuse "works" with their spouse, kids and pets, and football, so it should work with baseball. I mean who doesn't love going to work and getting yelled at or ridiculed by your boss. If you don't, than you should get fired, you're not tough enough, you're not good enough. The White Sox need to get Football tough. Bears Weather Tough. Ruff Ruff Ruff.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Football is of the lowest common denominator, by the lowest common denominator, for the lowest common denominator. Most people these days have the attention span shorter than a gif.

Baseball time has shrunk in this owner's contracted season, but it still has the peaks and valleys. They are just magnified due to the shrunk schedule.  If Sox talk was the GM, they would go through more managers in a season than WalMart does across the nation.

Thousands of posts "they don't care", "yell at the players", "nobody is trying". To many, verbal abuse "works" with their spouse, kids and pets, and football, so it should work with baseball. I mean who doesn't love going to work and getting yelled at or ridiculed by your boss. If you don't, than you should get fired, you're not tough enough, you're not good enough. The White Sox need to get Football tough. Bears Weather Tough. Ruff Ruff Ruff.

You need what I'm drinking.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's not.

Go Sox!

No.

8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

There is a picture floating around of sad and dejected Abreu. I didn't watch all of the game but hopefully these guys aren't sulking. 

eh let them sulk.  At this point some sulking might be the best thing.  They clearly are a young team with serious issues about coming to the park with an even keel.  Maybe some cathartic tears are what's needed.