So many here treat baseball like football

Look at Ray Ray Run

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's not.

The seasons have peaks and valleys. The Sox won 20 of 25 games; that's remarkable, that's called a peak. No team plays .800 baseball all year. 

The Sox now are in a bit of a valley, just as they started the season. GUess what? They're win percentage is still .607. That's a 98 win team; you guys can go ahead and bump the preseason win projections, but I'm 99% sure not many predicted a 98 win team. The valleys for good teams hurt MORE because the games are closer. Our valleys last year were 8-0 blowouts.

So many here wear the emotions of a baseball game likes it's an NFL SUnday. It's nonsense. Seasons run in runs; hitting can be contagious, bullpens run together frequently, SP tend to get hot together. It's human nature. It's how all large sample games work; it's a collection of many small samples which have a lot of noise.

The White Sox aren't hitting. They're still a good hitting team. 

You should be excited that the way the Sox are losing is a way that won't be possible in the playoffs; because those pitchers won't be used.

Baseball is a long season. It's fun to get excited but so many people lose the grander picture. 

Right now the Sox are worried about staying healthy first, and staying in the top 4 seeds second. Honestly they probably don't care as much about a division this year as others due to the top 4 seed rule. You can get angry that you think these games are all must wins, but it's just not being treated that way.

6 months ago we were all just begging for baseball. COVID had overcome. I made a guarantee to myself then that if we got baseball, I would enjoy it. I have been miserable watching this team for the past few years; this year, they're fun, exciting, competitive and on pace to be a NINETY EIGHT WIN team. Have they been consistent? No, but almost NO TEAM is. 

I've read that people aren't excited for the playoffs, and they're in football mode and that this team stinks now. What in the fuck? They've outperformed every expectation put in front of them, and we're going to see post-season baseball for the first time in 12 years while suffering in the midst of a financial crisis and a pandemic and people want to complain because they didn't win TWO games?

People are taking this for granted, and it's that which is frustrating to a fan and a human in this world we live in. You don't like what you're watching, then watch something else... but calling this a trash product when these guys are putting a top notch product on the field is pure nonsense.

Go Sox!

ANd Luis Robert is going to shut a lot of dumb asses up come October. Rant over.

Fantastic post and fantastic thread. You get it. I get it. But for the people who don't get it, you probably aren't going to convince them otherwise. You are just wasting your time replying to a lot of the responses in this thread. 

Cleveland just lost 7 in a row, and now they feel on top of the world.  If we win 2 or 3 of the games against the Cubs, we'll forget about this mess and head into the playoffs feeling much better.

And very intelligent thing you said about how we lost these last two games. In the playoffs, we won't be using Ruiz or GG in those spots because we will have better options available. 

• Like 3

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

eh let them sulk.  At this point some sulking might be the best thing.  They clearly are a young team with serious issues about coming to the park with an even keel.  Maybe some cathartic tears are what's needed.

Hopefully they remember this and come back next year fighting when there’s an actual full length season, if they don’t pull it off this year. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Football is of the lowest common denominator, by the lowest common denominator, for the lowest common denominator. Most people these days have the attention span shorter than a gif.

Baseball time has shrunk in this owner's contracted season, but it still has the peaks and valleys. They are just magnified due to the shrunk schedule.  If Sox talk was the GM, they would go through more managers in a season than WalMart does across the nation.

Thousands of posts "they don't care", "yell at the players", "nobody is trying". To many, verbal abuse "works" with their spouse, kids and pets, and football, so it should work with baseball. I mean who doesn't love going to work and getting yelled at or ridiculed by your boss. If you don't, than you should get fired, you're not tough enough, you're not good enough. The White Sox need to get Football tough. Bears Weather Tough. Ruff Ruff Ruff.

lol... this made no sense.

Football the lowest common denominator - football makes baseball look like 1st grade math when it comes to complexity in strategy.  

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's not.

The seasons have peaks and valleys. The Sox won 20 of 25 games; that's remarkable, that's called a peak. No team plays .800 baseball all year. 

The Sox now are in a bit of a valley, just as they started the season. GUess what? They're win percentage is still .607. That's a 98 win team; you guys can go ahead and bump the preseason win projections, but I'm 99% sure not many predicted a 98 win team. The valleys for good teams hurt MORE because the games are closer. Our valleys last year were 8-0 blowouts.

So many here wear the emotions of a baseball game likes it's an NFL SUnday. It's nonsense. Seasons run in runs; hitting can be contagious, bullpens run together frequently, SP tend to get hot together. It's human nature. It's how all large sample games work; it's a collection of many small samples which have a lot of noise.

The White Sox aren't hitting. They're still a good hitting team. 

You should be excited that the way the Sox are losing is a way that won't be possible in the playoffs; because those pitchers won't be used.

Baseball is a long season. It's fun to get excited but so many people lose the grander picture. 

Right now the Sox are worried about staying healthy first, and staying in the top 4 seeds second. Honestly they probably don't care as much about a division this year as others due to the top 4 seed rule. You can get angry that you think these games are all must wins, but it's just not being treated that way.

6 months ago we were all just begging for baseball. COVID had overcome. I made a guarantee to myself then that if we got baseball, I would enjoy it. I have been miserable watching this team for the past few years; this year, they're fun, exciting, competitive and on pace to be a NINETY EIGHT WIN team. Have they been consistent? No, but almost NO TEAM is. 

I've read that people aren't excited for the playoffs, and they're in football mode and that this team stinks now. What in the fuck? They've outperformed every expectation put in front of them, and we're going to see post-season baseball for the first time in 12 years while suffering in the midst of a financial crisis and a pandemic and people want to complain because they didn't win TWO games?

People are taking this for granted, and it's that which is frustrating to a fan and a human in this world we live in. You don't like what you're watching, then watch something else... but calling this a trash product when these guys are putting a top notch product on the field is pure nonsense.

Go Sox!

ANd Luis Robert is going to shut a lot of dumb asses up come October. Rant over.

Ray i don't mind you.  That said you are not a rational fan ,there is over the top negative fans on here.  You are on the completely opposite end . There isn't a bigger homer on this board than you.

• Like 4

I’m on the side of not worrying too much. Our boys need some rest and health heading into the real games. A division is a cool achievement that teams are proud of when they’ve got nothing to show for their post-season run. It sounds like a lot of Ricky’s decisions have been about resting minor injuries in the bullpen, and that’s the main reason we’ve lost the last few games. The offense has been lukewarm but not disgustingly bad considering the number of games they’ve played in a row.

Panic Level After First Five Games: 8/10 (We were all way too invested in every game)

Panic Level After Last Six Games: 3/10

I don't want to say I'm glad this slump is happening. But I felt it coming for a while, and they kept winning through it. As others have said, they had some slumps in 2005, including late in the season when it was pretty close to the playoffs. Maybe it's good that this happened now, instead of a week from now.

I still like out chances in the playoffs. Getting this team right is way more important than the seeding. If the Sox end up going to NYY in the first round, then so be it. 

• Like 1

The team is obviously better than they are playing right now, but they're probably not as good as they played during the stretch into this slump.  They're somewhere in between.  Still a good team deserving to go to the playoffs but with a few holes and a lot of youth that will go through slumps.  Oh, and a manager that isn't very good.  The last two losses were on the coaching staff.

Needs for 2021 include a right fielder, one more quality SP, and a new coaching staff.

I think next year we will see EE, Mazara, McCann, Cishek, and Gio Gonzalez gone. That should hopefully allow us to go out and sign a few free agents that will give us a better chance to compete for the division and the World Series next year. This team is good but missing a few pieces. 

Edited by maloney.adam

This is a bad time for a valley. There's no doubt. This is extremely frustrating and being a few days away from the playoffs magnifies things. 

At the same time, calling the lineup garbage and chokers, saying they'll be killed, assuming they're weak minded, etc is not only assumptive but dumb as fuck.. and if you sit there and say all of that yet still watch, you're dumber than I thought and that's saying something. You know who you are. 

9 hours ago, Sox80 said:

Ray i don't mind you.  That said you are not a rational fan ,there is over the top negative fans on here.  You are on the completely opposite end . There isn't a bigger homer on this board than you.

This is actually the funniest part to me; in my circle of friends/family in real life, I am considered a pessimist. I don't paint rosey pictures of the team; I have pre-season analysis for each of the past 5 years to back that up. This year though? Yeah Sox80, I've been pretty optimistic because they've played like a GREAT baseball team. 

To say I'm a homer because I am excited and positive about this year is complete nonsense and actually the entire issue with the negativity that has consumed this place. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

This is a bad time for a valley. There's no doubt. This is extremely frustrating and being a few days away from the playoffs magnifies things. 

At the same time, calling the lineup garbage and chokers, saying they'll be killed, assuming they're weak minded, etc is not only assumptive but dumb as fuck.. and if you sit there and say all of that yet still watch, you're dumber than I thought and that's saying something. You know who you are. 

Kind of like calling posters on Soxtalk “dumb as fuck” while still continuing to frequent the site?

10 hours ago, gusguyman said:

Ahhhhh yes. No White Sox loss is complete until Ray tells me how to be a fan. Now I can sleep. 

I told you how to be a fan? Interesting; I guess even reading someone elses opinion that isn't your own is hard for you. That said, I expect nothing less from a guy who spews irrational and overly negative nonsense time and time again.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

i clearly annoy and bother you, yet you're in this thread, responding... so I think you get where he's coming from. 

We might not agree but I’m not calling you any derogatory terms or trying to impose different beliefs on you.

Your optimism is envious. That’s a great thing to have as a fan and I usually find myself on that side of the coin.

So actually, while we might not share the same views right now - in some ways, I admire you.

Thats clearly a different sentiment than... “dumber than” “dumb as fuck.”

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is actually the funniest part to me; in my circle of friends/family in real life, I am considered a pessimist. I don't paint rosey pictures of the team; I have pre-season analysis for each of the past 5 years to back that up. This year though? Yeah Sox80, I've been pretty optimistic because they've played like a GREAT baseball team. 

To say I'm a homer because I am excited and positive about this year is complete nonsense and actually the entire issue with the negativity that has consumed this place. 

Your optimism is fine, nothing wrong with it. The problem is long posts from you acting like people shouldn't be realistic about this team. This team has a great record, but there has been signs that the offense is inconsistent, the pitching is inconsistent, and so is the manager. The reason people bring up us beating up on the Tigers, Royals, and Pirates is because it is true.

We will not see those guys in the playoffs, thus posters are analyzing how things will look against the quality teams we face. Odds are we will face Cleveland, Minny, or the Yankees. We are 7 and 12 against the Twins and Indians. We have lost 5 of 6 series against those two teams. And the Yankees are healthy and playing better. This season is an overall success but limping to the playoffs at 2 and 8 in the last ten won't be it. Punting the division isn't it either. They have a chance to right the ship starting tonight and need to do so. 

Edited by SonofaRoache
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, hi8is said:

We might not agree but I’m not calling you any derogatory terms or trying to impose different beliefs on you.

Your optimism is envious. That’s a great thing to have as a fan and I usually find myself on that side of the coin.

So actually, while we might not share the same views right now - in some ways, I admire you.

Thats clearly a different sentiment than... “dumber than” “dumb as fuck.”

Fair point. Im not a fan of the personal insults either.

Life has been such a pain in the ass this year. I regret being a nervous wreck in 05 and not enjoying it enough; always thinking we were gonna blow it. With everything going on in the world this year I was gonna enjoy baseball no matter what. The sox being great is just tve icing on top. I promised myself that angst wouldn't consume me as a fan and I'd enjoy this instead. Its been a great experience. Last night I just turned the TV off. No big deal.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Your optimism is fine, nothing wrong with it. The problem is long posts from you acting like people shouldn't be realistic about this team. This team has a great record, but there has been signs that the offense is inconsistent, the pitching is inconsistent, and so is the manager. The reason people bring up us beating up on the Tigers, Royals, and Pirates is because it is true.

We will not see those guys in the playoffs, thus posters are analyzing how things will look against the quality teams we face. Odds are we will face Cleveland, Minny, or the Yankees. We are 7 and 12 against the Twins and Indians. We have lost 5 of 6 series against those two teams. And the Yankees are healthy and playing better. This season is an overall success but limping to the playoffs at 2 and 8 in the last ten won't be it. Punting the division isn't it either. They have a chance to right the ship starting tonight and need to do so. 

every team in baseball is inconsistent. Holy cow roche. Im not optimistic for telling fans who say this teams stinks that they're wrong. Im not optimistic for telling those who call the offense chokers and bad they theyre wrong. The facts support my side. 

Im actually living in reality. Theres nothing realistic or honest about pretending the team isn't good and being overly negative. Even less so when those who are doing it projected this team to be a .500 team. Lol

Youre praising how good the yankees are but supporting the doom and gloom sox picture. The yankees have been worse all year..smh

05 Sox slumped in September

20 Sox slumped in September

Other teams hate our catching situation.

We have a stoic first baseman as a leader.

Our SS makes highlights, gets hits, doesn't walk too much.

LF can't really play defense.

CF brings highlights.

3B has power and defense.

DH has pop, everyone associates him with an animal.

Rookie comes up throwing absolute bullets.

Clearly, we're winning the World Series and Mazara wins WS MVP.

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

05 Sox slumped in September

20 Sox slumped in September

Other teams hate our catching situation.

We have a stoic first baseman as a leader.

Our SS makes highlights, gets hits, doesn't walk too much.

LF can't really play defense.

CF brings highlights.

3B has power and defense.

DH has pop, everyone associates him with an animal.

Rookie comes up throwing absolute bullets.

Clearly, we're winning the World Series and Mazara wins WS MVP.

The similarities are there. 

Sox fans wanted to quit on the team in September of 05 too.

Does that mean yo walks it off tonight to take division lead and never look back?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1