So many here treat baseball like football

Look at Ray Ray Run

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Fair point. Im not a fan of the personal insults either.

Life has been such a pain in the ass this year. I regret being a nervous wreck in 05 and not enjoying it enough; always thinking we were gonna blow it. With everything going on in the world this year I was gonna enjoy baseball no matter what. The sox being great is just tve icing on top. I promised myself that angst wouldn't consume me as a fan and I'd enjoy this instead. Its been a great experience. Last night I just turned the TV off. No big deal.

Baseball has indeed been a mighty reprieve and God bless your approach to this season. Every game is a gift... some I just want to return to the store.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Kind of like calling posters on Soxtalk “dumb as fuck” while still continuing to frequent the site?

Calling 4-5 posters dumb as fuck amongst hundreds is a lot different than calling 28 players and many more coaches chokers, weak minded, and garbage on a nightly basis & continuing to share those beliefs amongst hundreds

You see that, correct?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Calling 4-5 posters dumb as fuck amongst hundreds is a lot different than calling 28 players and many more coaches chokers, weak minded, and garbage on a nightly basis & continuing to share those beliefs amongst hundreds

You see that, correct?

No comment other than this: Hopefully the team wins tonight and the tone of conversation can begin to shift.

Edited by hi8is

4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

You see that, correct?

This is really where my issues arise. Tired of reading that nonsense every night. This year amplifies it and makes it worse to me; this treatment of athletes as if they were solely existing to entertain me.

People hold athletes to a higher standard than they hold themselves. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is really where my issues arise. Tired of reading that nonsense every night. This year amplifies it and makes it worse to me; this treatment of athletes as if they were solely existing to entertain me.

People hold athletes to a higher standard than they hold themselves. 

Their job does solely exist to entertain us though.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

every team in baseball is inconsistent. Holy cow roche. Im not optimistic for telling fans who say this teams stinks that they're wrong. Im not optimistic for telling those who call the offense chokers and bad they theyre wrong. The facts support my side. 

Im actually living in reality. Theres nothing realistic or honest about pretending the team isn't good and being overly negative. Even less so when those who are doing it projected this team to be a .500 team. Lol

Youre praising how good the yankees are but supporting the doom and gloom sox picture. The yankees have been worse all year..smh

I'll give you the over the top reactions. But in general, there has been issues with our offense against solid pitching all season. Our starters have been a mixed bag all season and have walked too many and pitched too short in games. . This doesn't mean we suck or anything, just that improvements need to be made.

True, teams go through ups and downs, but the issue this week is that it seems we called it in after that Minnesota series. The front office on down to the players have gotten complacent when there is more work to do. Winning your division is an important feat, as is playing solid baseball going into the playoffs. I believe we should have went all out to sweep the Reds and win the first one or two against Cleveland. Then you can rest and set up the rotation. I suppose for me it is not necessarily the result, but how the team viewed these last 10 games, as if they aren't important. Banners matter, and you could see the pain in Abreu's face last night. You can't fake pain and frustration. 

6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'll give you the over the top reactions. But in general, there has been issues with our offense against solid pitching all season. Our starters have been a mixed bag all season and have walked too many and pitched too short in games. . This doesn't mean we suck or anything, just that improvements need to be made.

True, teams go through ups and downs, but the issue this week is that it seems we called it in after that Minnesota series. The front office on down to the players have gotten complacent when there is more work to do. Winning your division is an important feat, as is playing solid baseball going into the playoffs. I believe we should have went all out to sweep the Reds and win the first one or two against Cleveland. Then you can rest and set up the rotation. I suppose for me it is not necessarily the result, but how the team viewed these last 10 games, as if they aren't important. Banners matter, and you could see the pain in Abreu's face last night. You can't fake pain and frustration. 

Roache, no one hits good pitching when it's going good. That's just how the game works. 

As for the pain; when you lose on a walk off, you're going to be bummed. It doesn't matter what level you're playing at. That said, I can say the majority of these guys woke up today and don't give a damn because that's the only way you're going to succeed in this game.

If you treat baseball like other sports and get down and out after a loss, you're in trouble. It's so easy to have an 0-16 or 0-20 weekend at the dish with just a tiny bit of bad luck. You just can't let the game get you down like that otherwise you'll never succeed. 

The fans take most losses a lot harder than players.

I think you know I appreciate your thoughts, or I wouldn't continue responding to you all the time, but I just think you're allowing the down period of the game to impact your opinions too much; just as people allow the upswings to impact their opinions too much as well.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Roache, no one hits good pitching when it's going good. That's just how the game works. 

As for the pain; when you lose on a walk off, you're going to be bummed. It doesn't matter what level you're playing at. That said, I can say the majority of these guys woke up today and don't give a damn because that's the only way you're going to succeed in this game.

If you treat baseball like other sports and get down and out after a loss, you're in trouble. It's so easy to have an 0-16 or 0-20 weekend at the dish with just a tiny bit of bad luck. You just can't let the game get you down like that otherwise you'll never succeed. 

The fans take most losses a lot harder than players.

I think you know I appreciate your thoughts, or I wouldn't continue responding to you all the time, but I just think you're allowing the down period of the game to impact your opinions too much; just as people allow the upswings to impact their opinions too much as well.

It's not just good pitchers though. Guys are getting bad pitches and making weak contact or no contact. Guys are in slumps that are almost impossible to have as good players. EE is better than he's played all year, as is Mazara. Luis was 6 for 66 and now has started to look shaky on D. Moncada looks old. These have been all hear problems and for Luis about 3 weeks. We don't have time to wait it out, so the problems are magnified. This season is like a football and basketball season in that regard. We are in crunch time and need positive results. The team leader has said the team has relaxed, which is the issue I have with things. The play shouldn't be bad because we relaxed at the end of a close division race with playoffs around the corner. I can't tip my cap to that. 

39 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Very nice, great brewery, La Fin du Monde one of my favorite beers.

Had an anchor this morning, my second beer likely a Revolution pour later today.

Nice, I am beyond tired of IPAs and Pale Ales.  I've been trying a lot of quads and Terrible is one of my old favorites.  I've been drinking micro brews for like 18 years now and while I still appreciate a good IPA as an everyday beer they just aren't that great.  Don't even get me started on the hazy IPA trend, which thankfully seems to be retreating.  If I wanted to drink orange juice that gets me buzzed I'd make a shitty screwdriver.

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Nice, I am beyond tired of IPAs and Pale Ales.  I've been trying a lot of quads and Terrible is one of my old favorites.  I've been drinking micro brews for like 18 years now and while I still appreciate a good IPA as an everyday beer they just aren't that great.  Don't even get me started on the hazy IPA trend, which thankfully seems to be retreating.  If I wanted to drink orange juice that gets me buzzed I'd make a shitty screwdriver.

Agreed, though I like WCIPAs (Pliny the Elder, Beachwood's Amalgamator and many others). I rarely seek NEIPAs unless they are balanced (M-43 is one example). I drink across most styles, but really need to bring home more Triples and Quads, among my personal favorites.

Relatively new to craft by your standards. Tried Bourbon County a decade or so ago, but really didn't start drinking beer / craft beer until 2015. Was a whiskey/bourbon drinker for decades before hand, but now rarely touch it beyond an occasional share / clearing old bottles.

Cheers and Go Sox!

10 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is actually the funniest part to me; in my circle of friends/family in real life, I am considered a pessimist. I don't paint rosey pictures of the team; I have pre-season analysis for each of the past 5 years to back that up. This year though? Yeah Sox80, I've been pretty optimistic because they've played like a GREAT baseball team. 

To say I'm a homer because I am excited and positive about this year is complete nonsense and actually the entire issue with the negativity that has consumed this place. 

There is nothing wrong with being excited.  I'm excited with this team as well.  And yes i agree with you the negativity on this board at times is over the top. 

• Like 1

This is either going to look like genius or be the one that gets refreshed when there's seemingly no light at the end of the tunnel. 

The funny thing is a majority of the offseason was spent bemoaning Abreu when he has simply been the best player along with Anderson...yet the tone is like the last two weeks of 2012.  At least that collapse was eminently predictable.  And 4-11 (2012 finish) would be simply amazing compared to 1-7.

Edited by caulfield12

Will they replace any of the following players with upgrades next year?

Nomar Mazara, Yolmer Sanchez, Edwin Encarnacion, Carlos Rodon, Gio Gonzalez, Jimmy Cordero.

Will James McCann be let go (I would hope not, but I doubt they retain him)? What role will Dylan Cease have?

It seems like Renteria trots out a bullpen that has gotten weaker as the year has gone on. And he obviously trots out the wrong dudes at the wrong time. They need to import another impact starting pitcher and get some more bullpen pieces. What right fielder would be better that is available? Will Moncada be back to normal after recovering from COVID-19? He looks lethargic.

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Will they replace any of the following players with upgrades next year?

Nomar Mazara, Yolmer Sanchez, Edwin Encarnacion, Carlos Rodon, Gio Gonzalez, Jimmy Cordero.

Will James McCann be let go (I would hope not, but I doubt they retain him)? What role will Dylan Cease have?

It seems like Renteria trots out a bullpen that has gotten weaker as the year has gone on. And he obviously trots out the wrong dudes at the wrong time. They need to import another impact starting pitcher and get some more bullpen pieces. What right fielder would be better that is available? Will Moncada be back to normal after recovering from COVID-19? He looks lethargic.

The long term rule is, if you’re playing the middle part of the free agent market, you find the occasional success and a majority of busts. We saw this over and over again this decade. If you aren’t willing to spend with the top guys...some of your signings will work, but most of them won’t, so your team will be about as good as it was beforehand. 

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The long term rule is, if you’re playing the middle part of the free agent market, you find the occasional success and a majority of busts. We saw this over and over again this decade. If you aren’t willing to spend with the top guys...some of your signings will work, but most of them won’t, so your team will be about as good as it was beforehand. 

Except Keuchel, who was clearly at the front of second tier but who has saved Hahn's hide for now.   OTOH...Bumgarner, yikes.   Of course, we've witnessed the other side of that in Cruz vs. Encarnacion. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So is there any sense that things would change with more additions this offseason or will COVID economics make that impossible? What has the board been saying about that lately?

34 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Except Keuchel, who was clearly at the front of second tier but who has saved Hahn's hide for now.   OTOH...Bumgarner, yikes.   Of course, we've witnessed the other side of that in Cruz vs. Encarnacion. 

Balta: says the phrase “occasional success”

Caulfield: cites the one success out of several signings this year by name as though it’s an exception.

Dude, what do you think that phrase meant?!

32 minutes ago, The Beast said:

So is there any sense that things would change with more additions this offseason or will COVID economics make that impossible? What has the board been saying about that lately?

The numbers on the middle part of the FA market were TERRIBLE in 2015-2018. In 2018, out of about 20 guys who got salaries between $10 and $20 million a year, there were 2 guys you’d have resigned to the same deal a year later, everyone else underperformed their contract. The numbers improved marginally in 2019 after the whole FA market collapsed, but here in 2020 we are right back to the 50% bust, 25% success, 25% iffy rate we saw in 2015 and 2016.

Next offseason has a chance of being a nightmare for even good free agents because of the revenue losses, so on that who knows? But the rule to me is the same aside from that. If you have a 95 win team before you hit the Middle part of the FA market, you spend $50 million next year and you are a 97 or 98 win team. You are a 72 win team on talent, you spend that money and you win 74 games. You might fill one hole, but you spend money and find yourself with 3 holes still remaining.

This is not a .500 team if there was a full season.  There's a lot of youth on this team.  They only have two legit starters.   I still think the management is a major weakness. The organization attitude towards management is a major weakness.  This team over achieved in a 60 game season. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Balta: says the phrase “occasional success”

Caulfield: cites the one success out of several signings this year by name as though it’s an exception.

Dude, what do you think that phrase meant?!

For Hahn, it really has only been McCann and Keuchel.   Not occasional. Seldom.   Unless you change the definition to qualify guys like Cabrera and Robertson as successes. 

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

For Hahn, it really has only been McCann and Keuchel.   Not occasional. Seldom.   Unless you change the definition to qualify guys like Cabrera and Robertson as successes. 

That’s the literal point! To the letter! We signed 4 guys in 2015 in that range and 3 busted! We did the same thing this year and have busts! They aren’t all busts but a lot are! You are repeating my words back at me!