Fire Ricky

BeaverEater48

27 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I actually think Rodon could be a good reliever down the line. He got up to 97 MPH tonight. With his slider, that might work for an inning at a time. The problem is throwing him into the fire the way they did. Anyone that knows anything about baseball knew that was going to end terribly.

This really is the silver lining tonight. Rodon's velocity is super encouraging. It's too bad he threw like 2 off-speed pitches all night.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, fathom said:

You could tell  that the Sox saw Rodon as some amazing “acquisition” that was returning down the stretch.  You have two dominant lefties in the pen now, and he’s not one.

Kenny and Hahn messaging their egos, hoping for something else to brag about.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Why do you keep mentioning GarPax? They’re gone, thankfully.

The White Sox equivalent remains here, though without the overall winning record or at least some legitimate playoff success. Jerry hasn't stepped down here yet, until it happens they will never leave. If Jerry still had last call on the Bulls, Gar Pax would still be there, the coach might be as well.

50 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I think the Sox made a mistake firing Ozzie Guillen in the first place. He brought the organization a World Series Championship and a few Division Championships and would stick up for his players in tough situations. I think they should consider bringing him back.

Again, Kenny's ego.

“He’s an idiot. He’s selfish. That’s why we don’t miss him,”

- Kenny Williams (-0.2 WAR), commenting on one of if not the best player in franchise history, Frank Thomas (68.3 WAR).

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Kenny and Hahn messaging their egos, hoping for something else to brag about.

The White Sox equivalent remains here, though without the overall winning record or at least some legitimate playoff success. Jerry hasn't stepped down here yet, until it happens they will never leave. If Jerry still had last call on the Bulls, Gar Pax would still be there, the coach might be as well.

Then just call them by their own names. Saying that the White Sox need to fire GarPax is just annoying. At the worst you could say "Fire KenHahn just like the Bulls fired Garpax" and I could live with that.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I think the Sox made a mistake firing Ozzie Guillen in the first place. He brought the organization a World Series Championship and a few Division Championships and would stick up for his players in tough situations. I think they should consider bringing him back.

The White Sox did not fire Ozzie Guillen. He quit. He literally quit. Mid-season while under contract he refused to continue coaching the White Sox. 

Seriously if you want to understand this, refuse to go into your job the next time you work unless you get a new contract from them. 

• Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The White Sox did not fire Ozzie Guillen. He quit. He literally quit. Mid-season while under contract he refused to continue coaching the White Sox. 

Seriously if you want to understand this, refuse to go into your job the next time you work unless you get a new contract from them. 

You know I remember now. He did quit on his own. Thanks for refreshing my memory. 

6 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Who would you bring in than? 

You have literally all of baseball who would be interested in coaching this team. Tons of young talent. Under contract for years. Veteran leadership. Ownership who doesn't care if you curse at your own fanbase for no reason and won't fire you unless you shoot someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue in New York. I don't even know who the hot coaching candidates would be in baseball but my god this would be the prime job. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

You have literally all of baseball who would be interested in coaching this team. Tons of young talent. Under contract for years. Veteran leadership. Ownership who doesn't care if you curse at your own fanbase for no reason and won't fire you unless you shoot someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue in New York. I don't even know who the hot coaching candidates would be in baseball but my god this would be the prime job. 

This 

Bob Geren

Mike Scioscia

Justin Jirschele

Ron Gardenhire

Carlos Beltran

Alex Cora (connection through brother)

Alomar, Jr.

AJ Hinch (former Sox draft pick, unlikely)

Joe Espada

Mark Loretta

Sam Fuld

Bruce Bochy???

Buck Showalter (Farmio would have been pissed)

Hensley Meulens

Ron Washington

Jeff Banister

Ned Yost  (just because I think that we need to institute that aggressive style of play on the basepaths and defense/bullpen-first closing out mentality, not a great strategic manager by any sense)

Nick Madrigal's former OSU head coach...just because nobody could be worse, at the moment, definitely a proven winner

Jim Thome???

someone connected to the Cuban national team/Jose Contreras/El Duque, spitballin'...?

Now we at least have a somewhat realistic list of names to discuss (from).

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Fuck Ozzie and Rick.

There is a zero percent chance that ricky gets fired after this year, even if they lose all the remaining games they still had a 92 win pace season and ricky has a good chance to win manager of the year. Yeah he also had a good team but it still beat the preseason projections by about 6 or 7 games.

There simply is no precedent for a team projected for 85 wins winning 92+ games firing their manager. This is a talented team but by no means they were considered a juggernaut like the Dodgers or astros and they do have some big holes too (back of rotation, bullpen depth). There is a reason why projection systems had the sox around mid 80s wins.

However I think next season he could be on a somewhat short leash, not after a bad month but if he is let's say 6 games under .500 at the all star break next year he could get fired.

Edited by Dominikk85

2 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

There is a zero percent chance that ricky gets fired after this year, even if they lose all the remaining games they still had a 92 win pace season and ricky has a good chance to win manager of the year. Yeah he also had a good team but it still beat the preseason projections by about 6 or 7 games.

There simply is no precedent for a team projected for 85 wins winning 92+ games firing their manager. This is a talented team but by no means they were considered a juggernaut like the Dodgers or astros and they do have some big holes too (back of rotation, bullpen depth). There is a reason why projection systems had the sox around mid 80s wins.

However I think next season he could be on a somewhat short leash, not after a bad month but if he is let's say 6 games under .500 at the all star break next year he could get fired.

I would agree that he's more likely to come back than get canned. But to say zero percent chance is not accurate. The world isn't just black or white. For all we know, KW, Reinsdorf or Hahn could be sitting there watching the games getting pissed off just like all us fans are at all his headscratching decisions.

Ricky's experimenting with Rodon might very well cause the Sox to play the Yankees in the first round, instead of hosting the Blue Jays or Astros.

And most of all, Reinsdorf has invested a lot in this rebuild. If they don't feel like he's the guy to lead it, this winter is the time to make the move. You can't assume the window is going to be open wider 2 or 3 years down the line. Other rebuild teams have come to later realize that their initial spurts of success were their best chances.

• Like 1

There are plenty of options out there for a new manager, but we can't ignore the fact that a new pitching coach is probably needed.  The team needs someone who can help the slew of young guys develop, and the use of analytics is becoming more prominent.  Cooper is an old school guy who has basically said he doesn't believe in it.

I would imagine/hope that a new manager would be able to being in his own staff.  This team needs someone else at the helm.  The last three days alone has convinced me of that.

I can't remember who said it on Twitter, but someone remarked that the Cubs had Renteria as their manager while they were coming out of a rebuild.  And what did they do with him?  Time for the Sox, coming out of a rebuild, to find someone who can manage a championship caliber team.

• Like 1

Salary: $4.2 million
Team: Cleveland Indians (2020)
Record: 1,667–1,409
Accolades: 2× World Series champion (2004, 2007), 2× AL Manager of the Year (2013, 2016)

Terry Francona has proven to be one of the greatest masterminds in the history of baseball. He's got a bit of the Midas' touch when it comes to developing winning cultures wherever he's gone.

That's why the Cleveland Indians don't mind paying him $4.2 million a year in hopes he can replicate the success he had at Fenway Park. He's going to be highly coveted once his contract runs out.

Should also be noted Yost at $3.7 million, Scioscia at $6 million and Maddon at $6 million, Bruce Bochy at $6 million.

https://us.bolavip.com/mlb/highest-mlb-manager-salaries-ever-20200723-0003.html

Girardi and Maddon might both be higher than that right now, fwiw.   Francona deal runs through 2022, right around the time Indians would lose Lindor and Jose Ramirez.

Finally, should Sox fans now add up all the money we’ve wasted on free agency over that time, as well as Hahn/KW combined salaries and Don Cooper?  Can’t we just once have a “top five” manager in our lifetimes?  Why do we always get sloppy seconds, or thirds, in the case of Robin Ventura?

Edited by caulfield12

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Hell yeh this would be a hot team to manage.Hopefully we will be talking about new canadates to take the job after this season is over.Please Fire Ricky!!!!