Fire Ricky

BeaverEater48

Doesn't anyone else see the masterstroke in having the Sox tank this series against Cleveland?

We are now 2-8 against Cleveland. Even if we'd won 2 games, we would have been 4-6, with every game tight.

As it stands now, the Sox are either going to hold on to second place in the AL Central, and host the Yankees in round one, or fall all the way to the 7th seed, and have to play Oakland or the Twins. It's possible we could still face the Indians in round one, but it's not likely any longer. 

Given how the Indians have shut down our offense, would you rather play them? 

P.S. I'm not defending Ricky here. Just making the observation that the Sox may have a better chance in the first round against anyone but Cleveland (and the Rays). 

Edited by VAfan

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

This is the greatest post in the history of Soxtalk - I want this on your Soxtalk HOF placard!  It was just the perfect read for the time - loved every second of this Caufield! 

Do you still really believe we can now (the next 3-5 years) win a World Series, in spite of both Renteria and Cooper?   That we have the talent to overcome their shortcomings, all other things being equal?

1 hour ago, VAfan said:

Doesn't anyone else see the masterstroke in having the Sox tank this series against Cleveland?

We are now 2-8 against Cleveland. Even if we'd won 2 games, we would have been 4-6, with every game tight.

As it stands now, the Sox are either going to hold on to second place in the AL Central, and host the Yankees in round one, or fall all the way to the 7th seed, and have to play Oakland or the Twins. It's possible we could still face the Indians in round one, but it's not likely any longer. 

P.S. I'm not defending Ricky here. Just making the observation that the Sox may have a better chance in the first round against anyone but Cleveland (and the Rays). 

I think the Yankees and Rays would pound the Sox and they have a decent shot vs. any other team including the NL.

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't think they would even consider firing him, as this is how he has run a bullpen his entire managerial career. It is no surprise. The front office obviously thinks his positves, which he certainly has, outweighs the negatives. But running a bullpen is critical. 

We take for granted that he has big fans in the FO.  I'd say this.....Stoney, Frank, Ozzie, Garfein, hell, even Jason got in on the action last night in wondering what in the hell Ricky is doing.  Those guys are all plugged in to the organization and if they're comfortable being so outwardly critical of RR, that tells me that they don't fear repercussions.  The only reason they wouldn't fear repercussions would be if they know that there are important pieces in the organization who wholeheartedly agree with them.

I think there's a very realistic chance Ricky is fired within the next two weeks or, worst case, promoted to a different role in the organization dealing with player development.  I would expect Don Cooper to retire or face the same offer of a reassignment.  

Hahn does not strike me as the kind of guy who is going to let his good name be tarnished by poor managing/coaching without first making a very strong and convincing case to JR.  Hahn's entire reputation is riding on this rebuild.  He is Ricky's boss.  JR may have final say but let's remember Hahn has been in this organization far longer than Ricky Renteria.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VAfan said:

The Sox could still easily play Cleveland.  And win the division.  If Sox win and Twins lose, we could be controlling our destiny in the division as soon as tonight.  If getting swept decreased the chances of playing Cleveland in the playoffs, it did so only marginally.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

Stop with ex-white sox players.  Stop the nostalgia picks.  Robin Ventura was one of my favorite players to put on a white sox uniform.  He was a bad manager.  Good/Great players does not equal good managers.  No Ozzie, we have been through this before.  Find a qualified candidate that can take this team to the next level.   

Last time we “went through this before” with ozzie we won a world series.  What next level are you talking about?

• Love 1

This team may not win another game in 2020. Bringing in Rodon under those circumstances is indefensible.  

If that isn't enough for even Reinsdorf, then he needs to sell the Sox because ownership has been the White Sox biggest problem for the last 40 years.

We're gonna face the humiliation of watching the friggin Cubs clinch on our home field. 

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 1

Agree, need a REAL MANGER!!! Ricky is a fugazi manager for you Donni Brasco fans, you know what i mean. Reinsdorf spends 24 million on Donovan for the BULLS AND 24,000 for Renteria. We need Jerry to step up. Remember, he fired Doug Collins and brought in Phil Jackson. We need a REAL Manager. 

Just now, chw42 said:

Frank just brought up on the postgame show that something might be wrong in the clubhouse. 

If Ricky really has lost the clubhouse, then his one good trait as a manager just went out the door. 

Tim Anderson better not flip a bat this series otherwise it’s open season on him. Good thing he’s not popular in the clubhouse and no one in this org has made a big deal about those unwritten rules in the last 2 years.

1 hour ago, GradMc said:

There a few but having to retain  Reinsdorf sycophant Cooper as their pitching coach is where A-list managers would draw the line.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/10/07/williams-cowley-is-a-liar/

According to a major-league source, Cooper sidestepped Guillen — and the rest of the coaching staff — in June, going directly to Williams to beg for an extension. Cooper was breaking protocol because Williams had publicly stated two years before that the coaches’ fates were in Guillen’s hands. And why would Williams want to retain Cooper, who got an un-Sox-like four-year extension? The feeling among the coaches was that Cooper was all too eager to share with Williams what was being said about the GM and club on a daily basis.

Cowley also wrote that Guillen went to Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf in July to fight for extension for his staff, but was told Cooper was already working on his. That’s when he “checked out”. And, according to the report, when Cooper became the manager for the last two games of the season, Guillen wrote Cooper a text that said: “You finally got what you wanted.”

Edited by South Side Hit Men

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Tim Anderson better not flip a bat this series otherwise it’s open season on him. Good thing he’s not popular in the clubhouse and no one in this org has made a big deal about those unwritten rules in the last 2 years.

lol after all that has gone bad the last week... this fucking bat flip situation has gotten you hollering to the moon.

I don't get it.

1 minute ago, harkness99 said:

lol after all that has gone bad the last week... this fucking bat flip situation has gotten you hollering to the moon.

I don't get it.

The 2019 White Sox made a big deal of how throwing at a guy for having too much fun was stupid. They were right!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, harkness99 said:

yeah but who gives a shit... im not trying to be an asshole... but their are so much more important things to be upset or worried about...

I can pick the things I like about baseball. I love it when a guy I’m cheering for hits a big home run and is pumped up about it. Have some fun when you win. You don’t want a guy to show you up, beat him. 

15 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I can pick the things I like about baseball. I love it when a guy I’m cheering for hits a big home run and is pumped up about it. Have some fun when you win. You don’t want a guy to show you up, beat him. 

What I want to know is how high did that Baez bat flip go ? That replay where they showed the ball and the bat both flying in the air at the same time was amazing ! Did Stat Cast track the bat too ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

52 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Ricky won't be fired...not JR's style.  He very well could be promoted...my hope.

I believe the Sox front office had to have talked much about Ricky’s ridiculous job performance this week.  How could they not frankly. And whether he’s the long term man for the job I would believe is a part of the conversation, at least a little.  ( I would fucking hope). 

Jerry doesn’t like to spend money on managers to sit at home, but hopefully money bags won’t mind too since Ricky is signed cheap.  I’m sure they would choose another first time manager who won’t cost too much.  

Maybe I’m just trying to convince myself that we have a decently competent front office.  And who truly desire to win at all costs.