Fire Ricky

BeaverEater48

1 minute ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Bump so we don't need to start a new thread.

I still want to fire him.. But this game isn't a reason why. He did most everything correct imo..

1.  no one could have predicted Crochet getting hurt.

2.  Taking Bummer out after 1 inning imo was a bad move.

3. Ever throwing Rodon was a bad move.

Other than 2/3 (and 2 is small), the pitchers just couldn't find the zone.  Not much he could do there

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I still want to fire him.. But this game isn't a reason why. He did most everything correct imo..

1.  no one could have predicted Crochet getting hurt.

2.  Taking Bummer out after 1 inning imo was a bad move.

3. Ever throwing Rodon was a bad move.

Other than 2/3 (and 2 is small), the pitchers just couldn't find the zone.  Not much he could do there

He's also put all of his pitchers into positions that they're not used to. Relievers are like goalies, creatures of habit. Any given day they know "I'm the 7th inning guy", "I'm the 8th", "I come in for this type of situation", etc.

Today Ricky decided to blow it all up and try something totally new, didn't give Dunning an opportunity succeed, and now everyone on the bench is looking around like they have no idea who is up next.

• Like 3

Ricky did some mistakes but this game he really managed great. 

He pulled dunning when he got in trouble and then went with his best guys stretching them maybe a batter too long but not terrible either.

This game there were two problems and neither is on ricky:

1. The sox don't have a third starter

2. The usually good relievers didn't find the zone

Nothing he could do here. Sure it sucks rodon had to pitch but he brought in rodon with 2 out and bases empty, a perfect situation that doesn't get any easier.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I can't imagine why anybody would think this wasn't poorly managed by RR. 

If you're going into your pen in the first inning, your strategy is bad. Period. 

You can't expect a pen to stretch that far into a game. 

I get there was a lot of things that Ricky couldn't control, like the injuries (seriously, the f*ck did we do to anger the baseball gods?) and Abreu suddenly stranding his teammates at sea over and over again, but he did his bullpen zero favors with his "throw sh*t at the wall and see what sticks" arm strategy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes I think managers should just pull a Costanza and do the opposite thing of what they come up with. So many managers make the wrong call in crucial decision-making situations. Everything I'm saying here is with hindsight on my side so it's just anger talking probably.

Once the decision was made to start Denning, you stick with him and hope he has a gem for 4-6 innings. Then play the bullpen game. Taking him out that early is a defensive move, on your heels move. Olson eventually came up against Marshall, it just took longer after RR decimated the bullpen instead of the first inning.

RR I think it's safe to say is a mediocre manager. You get what you pay for. Sox can either a.) let him stay since players like him. b.) get rid of him and hire another cheap replacement from our minor league system. c.) fire a famous guy and see what happens. I'd suspect cause of the injuries today and fact the team only had two starters available for the postseason saves RR. He'll be back.