Fire Ricky

BeaverEater48

The Big Hurt is teeing off on Rickey. Said he burned his bullpen too soon. Showed the team he had no confidence in them getting the bullpen up after one hit. Said guys were used in roles they weren’t used to and lack of normalcy did the team in. I did wonder why Rickey was standing and leaning over in the dugout. It would be one thing if that is what he always did, but that pose just made everything more abnormal.

That said, the Sox had their chances and didn’t make it happen. Frankly, they were going to have a huge problem moving forward if they were only going to use 2 starters normally, especially with no off days once the series begins. I will miss White Sox baseball. Hopefully they can play a full schedule next year. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dan of Steel said:

I can't imagine why anybody would think this wasn't poorly managed by RR. 

If you're going into your pen in the first inning, your strategy is bad. Period. 

You can't expect a pen to stretch that far into a game. 

I get there was a lot of things that Ricky couldn't control, like the injuries (seriously, the f*ck did we do to anger the baseball gods?) and Abreu suddenly stranding his teammates at sea over and over again, but he did his bullpen zero favors with his "throw sh*t at the wall and see what sticks" arm strategy. 

The sox just don't have a 3rd starter and it was always clear this is going to be a pen game. Obviously you hope dunning gives you two or 3 but he always was going to be gone after the first trouble.

It was some risk but it could have worked if some of the relievers got their job done.

There was really no other way to manage that today.

Had he left dunning on and he gave up 3 anyone here would have complained too 

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Ozzie and Frank were saying if you are going to use Rodon, use him to start an inning.. They said even Rodons wife knows he is not a releiver.

Rodon basically did start the inning, he came in with bases empty after the homer.

This was the perfect spot for rodon if there is such a thing for him.

12 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

The sox just don't have a 3rd starter and it was always clear this is going to be a pen game. Obviously you hope dunning gives you two or 3 but he always was going to be gone after the first trouble.

It was some risk but it could have worked if some of the relievers got their job done.

Pulling Dunning early was the best decision he made all day, everything else was horrendous.  The whole team laid a huge egg.  Tim Anderson, Robert, Mazara all had decent games, the rest of the team was a shit sandwich.  Moncada is so bad now, its pretty depressing as he is probably my favorite player

Edited by joesaiditstrue

4 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Pulling Dunning early was the best decision he made all day, everything else was horrendous.  The whole team laid a huge.  Tim Anderson, Robert, Mazara all had decent games, the rest of the team was a shit sandwich.  Moncada is so bad now, its pretty depressing as he is probably my favorite player

Moncada also had some bad luck with line outs the last days. Obviously his power is currently compromised (a healthy and fit moncada would have hit a few of those high liners out of the park) due to his physical problems but there was some bad luck involved too. 

• Like 1

I don’t blame Ricky for today. What I do blame him for is the debacle last week which killed any goodwill for the fan base and ruined a lot of the Sox momentum.  If they win a game or two in Cleveland, they could have done a trial run of a bullpen day instead of forcing the underachiever group of Cease and Lopez get bombed.  

How do people not blame Ricky for today? Sox have a high powered offense, and the A's weren't throwing any world beaters out there. Dunning didn't even give up a run, FFS. You let him finish that inning unless he's in danger of giving up 3-4. It showed ZERO confidence in his team, and they were out of sorts all day afterwards. Hell, one could make an argument he contributed to whatever happened to Crochet, as he is a fucking starting pitcher... He had almost no time to warmup.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t blame Ricky for today. What I do blame him for is the debacle last week which killed any goodwill for the fan base and ruined a lot of the Sox momentum.  If they win a game or two in Cleveland, they could have done a trial run of a bullpen day instead of forcing the underachiever group of Cease and Lopez get bombed.  

Ricky got to try the underachiever group all season and still went with one of them in the game today 🙂

42 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Ozzie and Frank were saying if you are going to use Rodon, use him to start an inning.. They said even Rodons wife knows he is not a releiver.

Yet Hahn placed him on the playoff roster as, wait for it, a reliever. Do these two ass clowns have it in them to criticize the man who can pull the plug on their dumbass broadcasting shit-show? Of course not. See Steve Stone for yet another "It's Ricky's call", when it is Rick's call, but Steve Stone doesn't have the balls to call it out.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

#1 RR shouldn't have shown his hand by pitching Cease the day before, Dunning was the only choice we had left and the A's knew it

#2 Having another rookie warming up after your rookie starting pitcher gave up a hit

#3 Going with 2 rookies in a game 3 clinching game.  

#4 They could have ruined Crochets career by using him the way they did the last week and the last 2 days.  Let's hope it's not TJ.

That set the tone for the entire game.  The manager showed no confidence in his rookie pitcher or his entire team of sluggers by warming up Crochet after a hit.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yet Hahn placed him on the playoff roster as, wait for it, a reliever. Do these two ass clowns have it in them to criticize the man who can pull the plug on their dumbass broadcasting shit-show? Of course not. See Steve Stone for yet another "It's Ricky's call", when it is Rick's call, but Steve Stone doesn't have the balls to call it out.

I think naming the guy you're throwing under the bus is just not going to happen and probably shouldn't. We all know who they're talking about. No reason to go there. To be honest, this is probably the most I've seen ambassadors of an organization bash someone in that organization.

Watching Frank and Ozzie and to even a small extent Chuck just tee off on the Sox manager like this is surreal, that's just how bad he's been.

But no, no reason to say his name. Not necessary.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

They actually made it easier on Rodon than starting an inning! No one on base, he only had to get 1 out instead of facing 3 batters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder what Detwiler was thinking. Guy had a great year as a solid lefty out of the bullpen only to be kicked to the curb for a always hurt, completely ineffective lefty who isnt even a reliever and has pitched barely at all the last month.

Lets be honest, the only reason Rodon was on the playoff roster is because he was a top 10 pick. He did nothing to earn it this year and we didnt have the balls to leave him off the roster, and it hurt us. Detwiler could have given you 3 innings potentially.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

How do people not blame Ricky for today? Sox have a high powered offense, and the A's weren't throwing any world beaters out there. Dunning didn't even give up a run, FFS. You let him finish that inning unless he's in danger of giving up 3-4. It showed ZERO confidence in his team, and they were out of sorts all day afterwards. Hell, one could make an argument he contributed to whatever happened to Crochet, as he is a fucking starting pitcher... He had almost no time to warmup.

I think the decision was made yesterday that this game was fully on the bullpen and the second Dunning got 2 runners on or gave up a run he was out. It’s not my favorite way to throw a game, but they did it several times this year so it wasn’t new. If you have faith in the bullpen, once you pick that strategy you follow it.

I don’t like that strategy because it means that 5 or 6 guys all have to have good outings for it to work, but that’s how they were playing it.

• Like 1

I've been super critical of RR and a member of the Fire Ricky bandwagon all season, yet today of all days I feel like he doesn't deserve 90% of the criticism he is getting and the loss really wasn't his fault.

What sort of bizarro world have I entered and how do I get back?

Still fire him for how he managed the rest of the season though.

Just now, gusguyman said:

I've been super critical of RR and a member of the Fire Ricky bandwagon all season, yet today of all days I feel like he doesn't deserve 90% of the criticism he is getting and the loss really wasn't his fault.

What sort of bizarro world have I entered and how do I get back?

Still fire him for how he managed the rest of the season though.

Same here