BeaverEater48

Fire Ricky

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

I'm not the biggest Ozzie fan, but he's far better than Renteria.

And it's not even close. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, fathom said:

You could tell  that the Sox saw Rodon as some amazing “acquisition” that was returning down the stretch.  You have two dominant lefties in the pen now, and he’s not one.

I actually think Rodon could be a good reliever down the line. He got up to 97 MPH tonight. With his slider, that might work for an inning at a time. The problem is throwing him into the fire the way they did. Anyone that knows anything about baseball knew that was going to end terribly.

Edited by YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES!
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, Tony said:

Thought about it a little more. This tweet really stands out, for a few reasons.

1. It's the main point I've been critical on Rick for all season. He doesn't have a desire to win the ballgame in front of him. Everything is about down the line. What's this mean for the future. There is a time and place for that.....but in the middle of your worst stretch with 3 games left in the season with the division on the line is NOT THE TIME. The quote itself is really pretty amazing. "Eh, we're up 4-1, bases are loaded, this team needs a win more than anything right now, we can really help control our own fate with a win......let me bring in Carlos Rodon, see if he can do something I've never asked him to do after being out of action for the last 45 days. WHAT COULD GO WRONG?" 

2. Which leads into the obvious next point. Rick has simply never been in this situation. He's never been asked to manage a winning team. His stretch with the Cubs came with ZERO expectations, and the same goes for the White Sox up until 2020. When the Cubs seemed ready to take the next step in their rebuild.....Theo moved on from Rick. He has shown us time and time again he doesn't have a feel for how to strategically manage the game in front of him. 

Unless the Sox make the World Series or some incredible post season run next week......I simply don't know how you can bring him back with confidence, thinking "This is the guy that is going to bring us a World Series. We got him, this is our man."

I think y'all are missing maybe the most important part:

"Renteria had a short outing in mind for Rodon, being this is the sort of situation he will face in the playoffs."

Why? Why would this be a situation he would face in the playoffs? You have a ton of bullpen arms, unless shit goes sideways you are never going to be in a situation where there are men on base and Rodon is your only option.

It is completely in your control to make sure he only comes in for clean innings. In fact, you could guarantee it by making him an opener! Why in the world would you take a SP who is notoriously slow to discover his fastball control and decide he is suddenly there for high-leverage and stopper situations when he is just now being converted to a RP???

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Why in the world would you take a SP who is notoriously slow to discover his fastball control and decide he is suddenly there for high-leverage and stopper situations when he is just now being converted to a RP???

It’s obvious he was trying to lose the game so he could become take the focus off on the field performances of the players. Ozzie used to do it all the time.

This text is orange.

He's a nice guy. Love the Spanish speaking ability. That's important for this team. But after these last four games you literally are justified to fire him tomorrow. I've never seen that before in baseball. Boylen is an example in the NBA and reinsdorf allowed his ass to be fired, so who knows at this point. When Benetti turns on you...you are some kind of suck.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I actually think Rodon could be a good reliever down the line. He got up to 97 MPH tonight. With his slider, that might work for an inning at a time. The problem is throwing him into the fire the way they did. Anyone that knows anything about baseball knew that was going to end terribly.

This really is the silver lining tonight. Rodon's velocity is super encouraging. It's too bad he threw like 2 off-speed pitches all night.

• Like 1

Ozzie Guillen would make this clubhouse electric again and at the same time be a manager that the players like playing for and he speaks Spanish so we wouldn’t lose that connection with the players. He’s a good fit for this team.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, fathom said:

You could tell  that the Sox saw Rodon as some amazing “acquisition” that was returning down the stretch.  You have two dominant lefties in the pen now, and he’s not one.

Kenny and Hahn messaging their egos, hoping for something else to brag about.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Why do you keep mentioning GarPax? They’re gone, thankfully.

The White Sox equivalent remains here, though without the overall winning record or at least some legitimate playoff success. Jerry hasn't stepped down here yet, until it happens they will never leave. If Jerry still had last call on the Bulls, Gar Pax would still be there, the coach might be as well.

50 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I think the Sox made a mistake firing Ozzie Guillen in the first place. He brought the organization a World Series Championship and a few Division Championships and would stick up for his players in tough situations. I think they should consider bringing him back.

Again, Kenny's ego.

“He’s an idiot. He’s selfish. That’s why we don’t miss him,”

- Kenny Williams (-0.2 WAR), commenting on one of if not the best player in franchise history, Frank Thomas (68.3 WAR).

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

We should have signed this guy for the post season and tested him out with the bases loaded tonight...

Edited by hi8is

10 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Kenny and Hahn messaging their egos, hoping for something else to brag about.

The White Sox equivalent remains here, though without the overall winning record or at least some legitimate playoff success. Jerry hasn't stepped down here yet, until it happens they will never leave. If Jerry still had last call on the Bulls, Gar Pax would still be there, the coach might be as well.

Then just call them by their own names. Saying that the White Sox need to fire GarPax is just annoying. At the worst you could say "Fire KenHahn just like the Bulls fired Garpax" and I could live with that.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I think the Sox made a mistake firing Ozzie Guillen in the first place. He brought the organization a World Series Championship and a few Division Championships and would stick up for his players in tough situations. I think they should consider bringing him back.

The White Sox did not fire Ozzie Guillen. He quit. He literally quit. Mid-season while under contract he refused to continue coaching the White Sox. 

Seriously if you want to understand this, refuse to go into your job the next time you work unless you get a new contract from them. 

• Thanks 5

I like Ozzie and will always enjoy his tenure, but are people forgetting he walked out on the team at the end? And in this cancel culture he wouldn’t even last a full season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The White Sox did not fire Ozzie Guillen. He quit. He literally quit. Mid-season while under contract he refused to continue coaching the White Sox. 

Seriously if you want to understand this, refuse to go into your job the next time you work unless you get a new contract from them. 

You know I remember now. He did quit on his own. Thanks for refreshing my memory. 

5 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Rick Renteria absolutely must be fired

But Ozzie Guillen isnt the answer, can we aim a bit higher please

Who would you bring in than? 

I would have liked to seen how Omar Vizquel progressed as a coach, maybe first on the bench or third base. 

34 minutes ago, chw42 said:

This really is the silver lining tonight. Rodon's velocity is super encouraging. It's too bad he threw like 2 off-speed pitches all night.

Exactly. I would really like to see what Rodon could do in a clean inning. Hopefully he can pitch in one of the Cubs games.

6 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Who would you bring in than? 

You have literally all of baseball who would be interested in coaching this team. Tons of young talent. Under contract for years. Veteran leadership. Ownership who doesn't care if you curse at your own fanbase for no reason and won't fire you unless you shoot someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue in New York. I don't even know who the hot coaching candidates would be in baseball but my god this would be the prime job. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

You have literally all of baseball who would be interested in coaching this team. Tons of young talent. Under contract for years. Veteran leadership. Ownership who doesn't care if you curse at your own fanbase for no reason and won't fire you unless you shoot someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue in New York. I don't even know who the hot coaching candidates would be in baseball but my god this would be the prime job. 

This 

Bob Geren

Mike Scioscia

Justin Jirschele

Ron Gardenhire

Carlos Beltran

Alex Cora (connection through brother)

Alomar, Jr.

AJ Hinch (former Sox draft pick, unlikely)

Joe Espada

Mark Loretta

Sam Fuld

Bruce Bochy???

Buck Showalter (Farmio would have been pissed)

Hensley Meulens

Ron Washington

Jeff Banister

Ned Yost  (just because I think that we need to institute that aggressive style of play on the basepaths and defense/bullpen-first closing out mentality, not a great strategic manager by any sense)

Nick Madrigal's former OSU head coach...just because nobody could be worse, at the moment, definitely a proven winner

Jim Thome???

someone connected to the Cuban national team/Jose Contreras/El Duque, spitballin'...?

Now we at least have a somewhat realistic list of names to discuss (from).

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Fuck Ozzie and Rick.

There is a zero percent chance that ricky gets fired after this year, even if they lose all the remaining games they still had a 92 win pace season and ricky has a good chance to win manager of the year. Yeah he also had a good team but it still beat the preseason projections by about 6 or 7 games.

There simply is no precedent for a team projected for 85 wins winning 92+ games firing their manager. This is a talented team but by no means they were considered a juggernaut like the Dodgers or astros and they do have some big holes too (back of rotation, bullpen depth). There is a reason why projection systems had the sox around mid 80s wins.

However I think next season he could be on a somewhat short leash, not after a bad month but if he is let's say 6 games under .500 at the all star break next year he could get fired.

Edited by Dominikk85