Fire Ricky

BeaverEater48

Ricky is a nice person but that doesn’t translate to being a successful manager that takes a team to the top. It would be in the team’s best interest to explore other options if they want to win some championships. However, if they really like Ricky they can offer him some options for another role within the organization like the Cubs did.

Edited by maloney.adam

1 hour ago, daggins said:

Before last night I would have said any talk of firing Renteria was hyperbolic.

Putting Rodon in a position to fail like that, coming off an injury that cost him most of the season, is inexcusable.

I'm sure i'm just repeating what's already been said, but it's so frustrating to see winnable games thrown away like that. Test Rodon, sure, but not in THAT spot.

Even beyond Rodon, if ever there was a night to trial your true shut down end of game lineup last night was it. If Foster gives it up, Foster gives it up. He's earned it. But it should have been Foster->Bummer->Colome, with Heuer and Foster being interchangeable based on usage.

Cordero was thrown out there because Cordero started warming up before the previous inning ended. That's not good enough.

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

I didn't say fire Menechino - I said fire sacred cows if you are going to fire Renteria. (I know, it was a complex sentence).  My statement was accurate:  poor hitting has put pressure  on bullpen decisions.  **Edit - the other thing is that 3 participants in the pen have barely pitched all season, putting further pressure on the decisions.  

Across the season, both the pitching and hitting have been fine.

Yes, I know, yall are right - high draft picks are best used to find the next Alexei and relief pitchers.    Yall got me.

iT's A cOmPlEx SeNtEnCe StRuCtUrE. For christ's sake.

Talk about the offense weighing it down + say there need to be firings (including sacred cows, not limited to sacred cows) can only implicate Menechino. If you're implying anyone other than Menechino, your sentence structure is fucking stupid.

This is you.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand baseball. The strategy is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical draft most of the knowledge will go over a typical Soxtalk poster's head. There's also the Anti-Hero Worship outlook, which is deftly woven into truly elite organizations - the philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. True fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these strategies, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who enjoy baseball truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Take Me Out to the Ball Game's existential stanza "buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks," which itself is a cryptic reference to the death of the American Dream. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as my genius wit unfolds itself on their SoxTalk . What fools.. how I pity them. 😂

And yes, by the way, i DO have a "No Hero Worship" tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid 😎

You're the Rick and Morty copypasta, just baseball.

• Haha 2

Back on topic, yes Ricky needs to be fired after this season.  The only thing that can save them is a torrid run in the playoffs.  

He destroyed the moral of the team though with his decisions.  I hope for the best on the playoffs, but I don’t have confidence that they will do great.  The look on the players faces doesn’t look like they have confidence right now.  I bet there was some raised eyebrows in the clubhouse.  Can they trust Ricky to put players in the best position to succeed?  I think many of the players love rocky as a person, but I have to believe they are questioning his judgement right now.  Probably some texts debating the bullpen moved between players last night.  

This is no way to be marching into the playoffs, looking feeble and limping.  Ruiz and Gonzales should not even be on the roster over Detwiler.  I don’t know if Hahn and Kenny are just bending over to Ricky’s roster desires about his favorites or what.  I could see giving Rodon a chance to see what he can do out of the bullpen, but he was set up to fail, plain and simple.  

And yes Ozzie would be better than Ricky, but just about anyone else would.  Ozzie not only quit but he sabotaged the team his last year.  That drama was Day Of Our Lives / The Young and the Useless all wrapped up in one.  Ozzie is better and would choose him easily over the Rickster, but we could do better, the Sox are a desired destination now.  

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Fans confidence. Don't impose how you feel onto the players.

Depsite your profound ability at psychoanalysis....

I was talking about the players... and losing the way they have been quite often kills confidence - in most sports.

Sure they can come back from it... but If you think they look confident right now - especially at the plate, then you should probably quit your psychoanalysis gig.,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Ricky's use of the bullpen has scratched heads ever since he was managing the Cubs. So that is not going to change. They are 1 game out of first despite a horrible road trip. A couple of nice games to close it out would be fun.

I don't think they would even consider firing him, as this is how he has run a bullpen his entire managerial career. It is no surprise. The front office obviously thinks his positves, which he certainly has, outweighs the negatives. But running a bullpen is critical. 

It's not just the bullpen though.. he also pitched to Ramirez in every situation he could kill you all series... and he killed us every time.

It's his boneheaded line-ups and other in game decisions.

It's not just the bullpen

Edited by harkness99
  • Like 2

I don't think it affects the players confidence, every team has a 5 game losing streak over 162 games, it is just at a bad time.

The rondon decision was bad but also consider that the sox had very few off days recently and coming up and the pen has been taxed a lot. I would have liked to see crochet there but he might not been available. Ricky didn't always manage the pen great but he also had to use it a lot because the back end starters are so bad

Edited by Dominikk85

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Fans confidence. Don't impose how you feel onto the players.

Did you see Abreu’s face the other night after they lost again from a walk off? He looked like someone took his ice cream cone. 😂🤦‍♂

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

Depsite your profound ability at psychoanalysis....

I was talking about the players... and losing the way they have been quite often kills confidence - in most sports.

Sure they can come back from it... but If you think they look confident right now - especially at the plate, then you should probably quit your psychoanalysis gig.,

You were the one psychoanalyzing the players. You're not in that clubhouse.

You see them during games ,a few seconds of dugout shots post game . Of course they look sad.Who likes losing. The only confidence I can see destroyed is ours.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

20 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Did you see Abreu’s face the other night after they lost again from a walk off? He looked like someone took his ice cream cone. 😂🤦‍♂

Sadness because you lost 4 in a row to a division rival is not destoyed confidence. Im sure they all still believe in the teams ability to win just as they did when the season didnt start so well.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sadness because you lost 4 in a row to a division rival is not destoyed confidence. Im sure they all still believe in the teams ability to win just as they did when the season didnt start so well.

Yea. You’re right. It’s been just as crushing a week as I can recall.

4 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

For all those saying “who else is there” regarding who can replace rickey, the answer is literally ANYONE.  Pick a random poster on here and theyd do a better job.

My top candidates would be Ozzie, AJ pierzynski, and joey cora.

Stop with ex-white sox players.  Stop the nostalgia picks.  Robin Ventura was one of my favorite players to put on a white sox uniform.  He was a bad manager.  Good/Great players does not equal good managers.  No Ozzie, we have been through this before.  Find a qualified candidate that can take this team to the next level.   

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You see them during games ,a few seconds of dugout shots post game . Of course they look sad.Who likes losing. The only confidence I can see destroyed is ours.

I saw their best player get kicked out of a game in the 9th inning when he was going to come to bat to extend a lead and in doing so cost his team the DH spot which while not costing them anything, it could have.  Grandal and the bad hand had to bat for him.

I also saw a pitcher have to explain why he was placed in a difficult position after not having pitched in over 6 weeks because the manager is looking to try out some new things. 

I saw a team that has been busting their ass and the last three days were put in position to fail...McCann has been struggling and Engel ahs been playing well yet there was McCann hitting for Engel...if you are going by your gut, hit Robert for Engel.....maybe Robert had played, I am trying to block out the last three games.

We see the stupidity you think the players don't and are not impacted? 

10 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Yea. You’re right. It’s been just as crushing a week as I can recall.

The highs are higher making the lows feel lower. It definitely sucked. I was watching the game and I was questioning the Rodon move and all I could come up with was well he has to be tested in the last 4 games. Not a heck of a lot of time if you can only pitch every other day especially when Bummer also was in the same situation.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The highs are higher making the lows feel lower. It definitely sucked. I was watching the game and I was questioning the Rodon move and all I could come up with was well he has to be tested in the last 4 games. Not a heck of a lot of time if you can only pitch every other day especially when Bummer also was in the same situation.

Start the inning with him then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

I saw their best player get kicked out of a game in the 9th inning when he was going to come to bat to extend a lead and in doing so cost his team the DH spot which while not costing them anything, it could have.  Grandal and the bad hand had to bat for him.

I also saw a pitcher have to explain why he was placed in a difficult position after not having pitched in over 6 weeks because the manager is looking to try out some new things. 

I saw a team that has been busting their ass and the last three days were put in position to fail...McCann has been struggling and Engel ahs been playing well yet there was McCann hitting for Engel...if you are going by your gut, hit Robert for Engel.....maybe Robert had played, I am trying to block out the last three games.

We see the stupidity you think the players don't and are not impacted? 

I thought you thought the Sox are playing for next year. Didnt you tell me that ?

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I thought you thought the Sox are playing for next year. Didnt you tell me that ?

That is my belief as I watch this week.  I believe there is a spring training type handling to the pitching staff where there are slotted guys and that's who is going under the guise of not caring about these games and being fresh for the playoffs.  I also think taht is bullshit as it is a 60 games season and a bullpen is not taxed at this point.

That is the only rationale I can think of as to why some of these moves are being made as I pointed out.

Those moves I pointed to do not give any credence to my point of building for the future and as such I feel Renteria is about to lose this team.

Robert, Moncada, Cease, Dunning, Lopez...them struggling may be needed to learn and build.....If Edwin is a leader keeping him in there could be something to appease the psyche of the team.......now if Rodan is highly thought of as a teammate, is the situation that he was put in, putting him in a position to succeed good for anything? 

48 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So if your house gets burned down and I see you looking sad outside - I will not infer that you are upset.

Got it

I mean I get your point.. but it's a bit obtuse.

Edited by harkness99

9/25/20 (Chicago) - The Chicago White Sox have announced major changes to the organization. Jose Abreu has been named Player/Executive Vice President and General Manager. Jose will be responsible for recruiting additional Cubans to form a championship ball club. "I pledged Jose Abreu would be a White Sox for life, and this opportunity will provide it" said White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf.

Tim Anderson has been promoted to Player / Manager. Tim Anderson has been the leader of the club since being drafted in 2014, and deposing of clubhouse leader and former White Sox manager Drake LaRoche in 2016. Reinsdorf gave his blessing. "Tim has been the straw that has stirred the drink since being promoted to the big league club. This is our first professional managerial candidate in decades, and I believe he exemplifies the leadership and knowledge sorely lacking in our previous several managers.

In a move likely to cause great consternation across SoxTalk.com, James McCann has been named Player / Pitching Coach. In this role, James is expected to continue to catch Lucas Giolito and Dane Dunning, work to teach Yasmani Grandal how to catch, call and block pitches in the dirt. James McCann will also be responsible for developing game plans for opposing lineups, a concept new to this organization.

All changes are effective immediately. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Bob Geren

Mike Scioscia

Justin Jirschele

Ron Gardenhire

Carlos Beltran

Alex Cora (connection through brother)

Alomar, Jr.

AJ Hinch (former Sox draft pick, unlikely)

Joe Espada

Mark Loretta

Sam Fuld

Bruce Bochy???

Buck Showalter (Farmio would have been pissed)

Hensley Meulens

Ron Washington

Jeff Banister

Ned Yost  (just because I think that we need to institute that aggressive style of play on the basepaths and defense/bullpen-first closing out mentality, not a great strategic manager by any sense)

Nick Madrigal's former OSU head coach...just because nobody could be worse, at the moment, definitely a proven winner

Jim Thome???

someone connected to the Cuban national team/Jose Contreras/El Duque, spitballin'...?

Now we at least have a somewhat realistic list of names to discuss (from).

This is the greatest post in the history of Soxtalk - I want this on your Soxtalk HOF placard!  It was just the perfect read for the time - loved every second of this Caufield! 

• Like 1