Which postseason opponent would you prefer?

Dominikk85

It will be either be the As, yankees or astros.

I think the best outcome would be second, the As won a lot of games but while their pen is lights out neither their lineup nor their rotation are fearful.

The yankees would be not good to face as they got most of their injured guys back.

Astros weren't great but I still think they have an extra gear.

2 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think the best outcome would be second, the As won a lot of games but while their pen is lights out neither their lineup nor their rotation are fearful.

The yankees would be not good to face as they got most of their injured guys back.

Pretty much.  Give me the As simply because baseball won’t allow them to advance.  Ricky can’t lose to fate right?  Right?  Right...?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Don’t we play horrible in Oakland generally speaking?  Not sure traveling out to California is the way to get this team firing on all cylinders.

Honestly, as long as we don’t play the Indians I’ll be happy, which it sounds like you’re saying can’t happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

Most important is imo to avoid third place because that puts them in the bracket with cleveland, NY and tampa.

The other bracket you get the twins, As and astros which is clearly the easier path to the WS.

It's never easy once the playoffs begin. However, that does seem like a plan. 

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

Most important is imo to avoid third place because that puts them in the bracket with cleveland, NY and tampa.

The other bracket you get the twins, As and astros which is clearly the easier path to the WS.

Third place is the 7-seed, so the Sox would play the A’s or Twins. Go to the Magic Number thread to see the current pairings.

1 hour ago, flavum said:

Third place is the 7-seed, so the Sox would play the A’s or Twins. Go to the Magic Number thread to see the current pairings.

You are right, read that wrong. I think that current spot is not the worst thing then, As are not easy but definitely prefer them over the yankees.

Still hope they win at least one out of the last two for the confidence of the team.

The Dodgers or Padres.

Edited by hi8is
To clarify... I think we won’t have home field in the playoffs. It’s also obvious we need things to click for any hope to even win a single meaningful game. But in a perfect world, I certainly would like to face the best team from the NL.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Sox were 1-5 vs the A's in 2019, 0-3 in Oakland.

2-5 in 2018, 0-3 in Oakland.

1-5 in 2017, 1-2 in Oakland.

Not exactly jumping for joy at the thought of playing the A's in Oakland after the shitty week they've had.

Yeah, to me Oakland is a death sentence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SouthWallace said:

Sox were 1-5 vs the A's in 2019, 0-3 in Oakland.

2-5 in 2018, 0-3 in Oakland.

1-5 in 2017, 1-2 in Oakland.

Not exactly jumping for joy at the thought of playing the A's in Oakland after the shitty week they've had.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, to me Oakland is a death sentence.

Those were rebuilding years. I'll take the A's and be watching here in So Cal while the rest of you struggle to stay awake. 😎

17 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Seems like very few Covid issues the last month or so. Any new cases could really affect the playoff teams if they lose a key player. 

They’re doing a full bubble starting in round 2 and I think by now most teams have figured out that you need an effective bubble anyway. No restaurants, limited outside contact. The Cleveland thing where people were banished from the team for going to restaurants was probably a good part of that lesson.

6 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Sox are now set to play yankees because of the Indians loss. Indians lost 8 0 to pirates, I wonder if they were tanking.

Not necessarily.  The Sox can still win the division and finish as the #2 or #3 seed.  If they finish 2nd, they will be the #4 seed and might face Toronto if Toronto wins and NY loses today.  If the Sox finish 3rd, they will be the #7 seed and will play either Cleveland or Oakland.

As far as preferred 1st opponents—-

1) Houston: I think some of them have already mentally checked out.

2) Toronto: Young and inexperienced, like we are.

3) Oakland: Yeah, we struggle against them, but their lineup does not scare me.  Plus, LH starters.

4) Minny: For some reason, I think we match up well against them.

5) NYY: Still rather face them than...

6) Cleveland: As we know, their pitching gives us fits.

Edited by asindc
  • Like 3