7. Cle 34-25
  8. Tor 32-27

Sox possibilities:

2-seed: Sox win, Twins lose, A's lose

3-seed: Sox win, Twins lose, A's win 

4-seed: Sox win, Twins win or Sox lose, Indians lose

7-seed: Sox lose, Indians win

Blue Jays and Yankees swap 5 and 8 if Blue Jays win and Yankees lose

A's and Twins swap if the A's win and the Twins lose  (and Sox lose)

Edited by flavum

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

To the folks who didn't want expanded playoffs this year because the final week wouldn't be exciting... Here we are with complete chaos on the final day as expected. 

I’m keeping track of this almost more than anyone because it’s just dealing with possible outcomes. But I hate the expanded postseason. The Astros should be headed home, and the AL Central truly would have been tense and exciting coming down the stretch, but it’s just dealing with seeds. That’s boring.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Of note on the Sox 2020 season.  They would have made the playoffs this season, even with the 5 team reason historic playoff set up.

True, but without the safety net of 8 teams, it sure would have been way more tense trying to win a division. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, flavum said:

I’m keeping track of this almost more than anyone because it’s just dealing with possible outcomes. But I hate the expanded postseason. The Astros should be headed home, and the AL Central truly would have been tense and exciting coming down the stretch, but it’s just dealing with seeds. That’s boring.

Well seeding is important as well. It's about how excited fans are and about the coverage of MLB. It is much better than most people expected. Hell, us Sox fans sit here listing our favorite and least favorite seedings. We can win our division as a 2 or 3 seed, or finish fourth, or finish 7th. Some Sox fans would be excited to lose and get the Jays in the 4/5 matchup over winning the division as a two seed and getting Cleveland. Some Sox fans would prefer losing big and getting the 7th seed over getting a 4th seed and the Yankees, or even the 2 seed and the Indians. 

18 minutes ago, flavum said:

True, but without the safety net of 8 teams, it sure would have been way more tense trying to win a division. 

Without the buffer of the 8 teams most teams would have quit. A few teams would be in division races. Hell, Cleveland may have quit after they lost 7 in a row and were 6 games back with a week to go and the Yankees surging. The Astros are a downside but even they will be a tough out in the postseason if their offense gets going a little. They still have good pitching 

9 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Well seeding is important as well. It's about how excited fans are and about the coverage of MLB. It is much better than most people expected. Hell, us Sox fans sit here listing our favorite and least favorite seedings. We can win our division as a 2 or 3 seed, or finish fourth, or finish 7th. Some Sox fans would be excited to lose and get the Jays in the 4/5 matchup over winning the division as a two seed and getting Cleveland. Some Sox fans would prefer losing big and getting the 7th seed over getting a 4th seed and the Yankees, or even the 2 seed and the Indians. 

Yes, it is something to track and watch for today. But I don't think that's exciting. Exciting is a 3-team race like the Twins, Sox and Indians where every game is huge, tense, thrilling, and in some cases, heartbreaking. Winner moves on to the best-of-5, losers play each other one game to get in...if there aren't other AL teams with better records. 

This year, I'm not complaining because of 60 games. But going forward, I don't want 8 teams...or even 7.  Six, I wouldn't like either, but I'd understand it.

Edited by flavum

16 minutes ago, flavum said:

Yes, it is something to track and watch for today. But I don't think that's exciting. Exciting is a 3-team race like the Twins, Sox and Indians where every game is huge, tense, thrilling, and in some cases, heartbreaking. Winner moves on to the best-of-5, losers play each other one game to get in...if there aren't other AL teams with better records. 

This year, I'm not complaining because of 60 games. But going forward, I don't want 8 teams...or even 7.  Six, I wouldn't like either, but I'd understand it.

For this season it was necessary or there would have been a lot more opt outs and tank jobs. And again, games are very tense based on seedings right now. Twins fans said they'd rather be 8th than to see the Yankees. Cincy will probably try to win today to avoid the Dodgers. For fans these games are still tense, even without a division on the line. 

42 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If this day goes well for MLB, I'm thinking they're definitely going to expand the playoff field to at least 7 next year. I just hope it's not 8 cause it makes the making the playoffs a bit meaningless.