Wasted Money This Year

AJ'S Cousin

I would like a refund on Encarnacion, Gio Gonzales  and Mazara. a waste of about 17m that could have been spent on a pitcher the like of Mehta or someone of that stature. And whatever we're paying Renteria is also TOO MUCH. 

We need to invest in a REAL MANAGER, another quality starter to go with Giolitto and Keuchel. Lopez obviously is not the answer, who knows if Rodon will ever return to his old form. Cease and Dunning?? Not sure if they have what it takes and if  by some miracle, Kopech can play MAYBE that's the answer at the 3 or 4 slot. We don't know the plans for Crochet yet. I don't know who's on the market during the winter. If anyone knows please post it.  

Saving grace is the Parrot Head is here this year and gone. Don't know about Gio G's contract, but gut him loose. Cease and Dunning needed a this year in the minors, but it is what it is. 

They may develop next year. 

With this offensive, 1 more stud starter and we will win the Central easily next year. 

It might by Kopech, it might not be. Maybe Cease/Dunning combine as a 5th starter throwing 4 innings each. LOL, only kidding!!!! 

We need as i've said in another post, RESIGN MCCANN!!!!! he and Yasmani can trade off catching and DH.  

• Like 1

touche', but he's gone!!! and yes he also was a HUGE waste. Add it up. 13m for Encarnacion, 6m for Cishek, 5m for Gio G. 4 or 5 m for Mazara. close to 30 million. We could signed a quality pitcher. 

We don't need to acquire any offense for next year. Even our bench is above average.    

Just now, AJ'S Cousin said:

touche', but he's gone!!! and yes he also was a HUGE waste. Add it up. 13m for Encarnacion, 6m for Cishek, 5m for Gio G. 4 or 5 m for Mazara. close to 30 million. We could signed a quality pitcher. 

We don't need to acquire any offense for next year. Even our bench is above average.    

Desperately need a RF this offseason

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Original Contract Value (no COVID adjustment)

Complete waste:

• Edwin Encarnacion $12.0M
  • Kelvin Herrera $8.5M + $1.0M
  • Nomar Mazara $5.6M
  • Steve Cishek $5.3M + $0.7M
  • Carlos Rodon $4.5M
  • Nicky Delmonico $0.6M

Paid more than added value:

• Yasmani Grandal $18.3M

Grandal is getting $7 million pro-rated salary. He's been worth 1.2 WAR (1 WAR is about $8 million). He's actually been worth pretty much what he's being paid.

Edited by chw42
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Also, looking opinions for my next topic that will coming up. Madrigal, should he stay #9, move up to #2 or even lead off with Anderson at # 2. 

Think about it, Madrigal get's Anderson protection, Anderson get's Abreu Protection. 

Then just post the thread, this isn't a column.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

FA continues to be a huge weakness for Hahn.  It's a miracle Dallas turned out well.  Parrot whatever, took a chance on an established player and in a short shit season he couldn't adjust.   That said, the moves in total were less than successful in FA and that's a pretty clear trend.  Mazara via trade but you can include him in the pile as he was basically an alternative to signing a real RF, of which the Sox had some decent options.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

FA continues to be a huge weakness for Hahn.  It's a miracle Dallas turned out well.  Parrot whatever, took a chance on an established player and in a short shit season he couldn't adjust.   That said, the moves in total were less than successful in FA and that's a pretty clear trend.  Mazara via trade but you can include him in the pile as he was basically an alternative to signing a real RF, of which the Sox had some decent options.

If we're stretching things this far, we should include Robert and Abreu who have far, far stronger arguments as free agents than Mazara.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quin said:

If we're stretching things this far, we should include Robert and Abreu who have far, far stronger arguments as free agents than Mazara.

Hey if you want to stretch it this far we can. There's no defending Hahn's record in FA.  I'm not a Hahn hater he's done a nice job with the rebuild but FA is a clear weakness.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Hey if you want to stretch it this far we can. There's no defending Hahn's record in FA.  I'm not a Hahn hater he's done a nice job with the rebuild but FA is a clear weakness.

Oh yeah, it's not good. Just including Mazara is pointless.

Also, @South Side Hit Men's "original value" post is worthless because we're not in a full length season where players get a regular season to adjust, rest, etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

Oh yeah, it's not good. Just including Mazara is pointless.

Also, @South Side Hit Men's "original value" post is worthless because we're not in a full length season where players get a regular season to adjust, rest, etc.

Mazara precluded them signing an actual good FA RF it was def an either or situation and they chose the wrong option.  Sure it's not technically a FA signing but it was tangentially related.

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Mazara precluded them signing an actual good FA RF it was def an either or situation and they chose the wrong option.  Sure it's not technically a FA signing but it was tangentially related.

By that logic, you might as well include Eloy, Anderson and everyone signed to an extension as they block FAs.

Edited by Quin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hahn doesn't have a great FA track record but that is also due to the  money he got to use. You are not getting good AND young FAs without paying premium money so Hahn was basically forced to buy aging guys and hoping for one last bounce back.

It is much easier to be good with free agents if you are able to spend 200m.

21 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I was okay with our FA and still am. The only disaster for me was Mazara. It was a dumb trade at the time and still is. We should have signed Ozuna. His defense is awful but at least he has a legit bat. 

I was wrong about a couple of the acquisitions. I thought that Cishek was going to be the arm we needed in the BP.

I also "didn't hate" the Mazara trade, but I should have. He's a supposed hit-first corner OFer who cant really hit; a guy who needs a platoon partner; a guy who needs a defensive sub, and a baserunning sub.

Other than that, he was ok. But then, Hahn squandered a prospect to get him, on top of all of that. So yes, I was wrong. I should have HATED that move. I certainly do now.

On 9/27/2020 at 4:02 PM, AJ'S Cousin said:

I would like a refund on Encarnacion, Gio Gonzales  and Mazara. a waste of about 17m that could have been spent on a pitcher the like of Mehta or someone of that stature. 

At least it didn't create long-term liabilities, and at least they didn't trade anyone of value for those players.  And they could play McCann and Engel (who really had a good season)  instead of Encarnacion and Mazara, although they choose not to most nights (and it would really require having Collins up to take over Catcher if something happened).