Madrigal, where should he hit in this line up

AJ'S Cousin

I'd move him to 2 for the playoffs, especially against LHP.

Anderson SS, Madrigal 2B, Abreu 1B, Eloy LF, Grandal DH, Moncada 3B, Robert CF, McCann C, Engel/Leury RF

If Eloy can't play the field, put him at DH and Grandal at C.  Leury in RF and Engel in LF.   

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SouthWallace said:

If Moncada is Moncada, be bats 2nd.  Madrigal had an outstanding rookie season at the plate.  He's fine at 9 getting on base for the top of the order. 

This is the the most dumb and antiquated thing possible.  There is zero reason he shouldn't be getting the most bats based on his skill set.  He needs to be batting 1st, or 2nd.  You bump everyone else back if you have to.  It's absolutely absurd that you want to give a guy like him the fewest at bats on the team.  So that what, maybe once a game he can get on in front of the leadoff hitter to start an inning?  Dumbest shit.  He can literally do the exact same thing if he leads off.  What a concept, I know. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soulfly said:

This is the the most dumb and antiquated thing possible.  There is zero reason he shouldn't be getting the most bats based on his skill set.  He needs to be batting 1st, or 2nd.  You bump everyone else back if you have to.  It's absolutely absurd that you want to give a guy like him the fewest at bats on the team.  So that what, maybe once a game he can get on in front of the leadoff hitter to start an inning?  Dumbest shit.  He can literally do the exact same thing if he leads off.  What a concept, I know. 

agreed.  I have him leading off, he has the best hit tool in the lineup and will probably lead the whole team next year in OBP, the fact that hes hitting 9th and nobody questions it is ludicrous, the absolute last place I would bat him is 9th.  another glaring example of how bad of a manager Renteria is.  If I was as bad at my job as Renteria is, I would have my contract torn up without question

Edited by joesaiditstrue

13 hours ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Don't get me wrong or storm the gates, i'm not saying he should not hit # 9.  He's too good a contact hitter. but think of the possibilities of hitting with Anderson at # 2 protecting him and Anderson getting Abreu protection!!! Just bored watching this beat down. 

Deleted comment, I read your post wrong but I’d keep Madrigal at 9. I’d want my more powerful hitters batting higher in the order. 

Edited by Joshua Strong

Nicky is a 2 in the near future (in my uninformed opinion). I love the idea of him hitting in front of Jose and Eloy. But, Yoan and Tim (usually) occupy the top of the order. So, it will be interesting to see what they do with the lineup, 2021 and beyond.

• Like 1

Nick could be considered hitting second with more experience. He needs to be able to sacrifice some at bats to allow a runner to run or move guys over. They have him lower now to allow him to think one thing, hit the ball. Needs to work on base running as well.

The only lineup changes I proposed during the year, which I continue now, is swapping out Parrot (Grandal/McCann & Abreu/Eloy for rest days) and playing Engel more (RF in season, LF now for Eloy).

Eloy should DH in the playoffs unless 100%. Grandal will sit out at minimum with Lucas starts under this scenario, I’m good with it, not sure Hahn would allow it.

59 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Nick could be considered hitting second with more experience. He needs to be able to sacrifice some at bats to allow a runner to run or move guys over. They have him lower now to allow him to think one thing, hit the ball. Needs to work on base running as well.

The only lineup changes I proposed during the year, which I continue now, is swapping out Parrot (Grandal/McCann & Abreu/Eloy for rest days) and playing Engel more (RF in season, LF now for Eloy).

Eloy should DH in the playoffs unless 100%. Grandal will sit out at minimum with Lucas starts under this scenario, I’m good with it, not sure Hahn would allow it.

With Madrigals ability to control the bat and put the ball in play there’s almost no reason for him to ever sacrifice bunt. If he swings away he’ll get hits what, 1/3 of the time, and most of the other times he will have a good chance of making a productive out.

11 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

With Madrigals ability to control the bat and put the ball in play there’s almost no reason for him to ever sacrifice bunt. If he swings away he’ll get hits what, 1/3 of the time, and most of the other times he will have a good chance of making a productive out.

I agree on the bunt aspect. What I mean by sacrifice is taking a pitch to allow a runner to steal second, like in Sunday's game where Tim had the base stolen, but Nick fouled it with one strike.

You will NEVER EVER read a post of mine advocating for sacrifice bunts from any player beyond a very very narrow circumstance.

On 9/27/2020 at 5:44 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

Says the grown man still pouting about us drafting Nick Madrigal every chance he gets.  For your sake, I really hope the kid boinked your girl or something because this hatred isn’t healthy.

He just isn't a big fan of the guy. Is that such a crime?

• Thanks 2

On 9/27/2020 at 5:30 PM, ChiSox59 said:

I'd move him to 2 for the playoffs, especially against LHP.

Anderson SS, Madrigal 2B, Abreu 1B, Eloy LF, Grandal DH, Moncada 3B, Robert CF, McCann C, Engel/Leury RF

If Eloy can't play the field, put him at DH and Grandal at C.  Leury in RF and Engel in LF.   

I agree mainly because Moncada isnt the Moncada we saw last year. We all know he can still draw walks but he shouldn't be at the top of the lineup anymore. Opening the game with 2 .300 hitters sets the tone.

I'm a big fan of Nick and excited about what he can potentially be for this team and personally I think he's a perfect 9 hole hitter. You need someone at the bottom of the lineup who can hit and the adequate speed at the bottom of the order setting up for more speed (Robert, presumably) for some potentially pretty nice strings of hits. I personally think 9 is perfect for him.