Ricky is not getting fired and he is winning manager of the year

Dominikk85

The last week was terrible and Ricky made some bad decisions but you are fooling yourself if you think he will get fired.

The sox team overall did outperform their talent despite the last 6 or 7 games. Not saying the sox don't have talent but they were projected for about mid 80s wins and they won 35 games which is the equivalent of 94 games.

That means the team did perform at least 8 or 9 games better over a full season or about 4 games better over the shortened season (zips had them win 31 games).

Now of course ricky did make bad decisions and people will say you have to look at circumstance but there really is no precedent in baseball history were a manager of a projected mid 80s win team won mid 90s games gets fired.

I don't think ricky is a great manager but get used to the fact that he is coming back 99% next year.

Next year he will be under the microscope though, expectations are higher and if he is let's say 5 games under .500 at all star break he could get axed.

But for this year get over the fact that Ricky is not only keeping his job but also win manager or the year because no AL team improved as much as the sox and no AL team beat the projections by as much as the sox.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

I also don't think he should win it but he is going to be. MOTY is always a guy who takes a sub 500 team to a playoff spot. 

Kevin cash might be the better manager but the Rays won 96 games last year so he is not going to win it

Recent examples:

2019 baldelli 78 wins to playoffs 

2018 Melvin 75 wins to playoffs

2017 molitor 59 wins to playoffs

Yeah last week was bad but the whole body of work is judged and that is still better than expected.

Manager of the year is a sub 500 to playoff guy every year and really ricky is the only candidate who fulfills that even though I think that is stupid.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If he doesn't there should be an investigation.  

I think Melvin is a better manager than ricky but the award always goes to a guy improving a team from sub .500. The last guy who came from over .500 was Showalter in 2014 (85 wins).

The Rays simply were too good in 2019 with their 96 wins. I think that is stupid but that is the way it is.

The voters are not going to see a guy who lost the division in ricky but a guy who  turned a .450 team into a. 580 team even though that is not the whole story of course.

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

If RR wins it after managing a 1st place team to a 2-8 record down the stretch and the 7 seed the award is a joke.  

In a regular year, the Sox are the 5th seed and in the playoffs. Citing that they're the 7th seed to discredit it is weird. They didn't sneak in as an extra team because of the rule change to add more teams, they actually got pushed back two seed slots because of the dumb new expanded rules.

If the Sox were the 5th seed and won 94-95 games, people would say he was worth of manager of the year.

Sox are in the playoffs with the best match-up they could have possibly asked for - two lefty SP's in round 1 in three games. Couldn't have worked out better.

Kevin Cash is the MOTY.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sarava said:

The Sox are division champs if Ricky doesn't give that game away against Cleveland. If the playoffs don't go well, I'd guess he is gone.

Tough call. To the nation, it would seem grossly unfair to fire RR after getting Sox in the playoffs. It appears the team is constantly improving with him at helm. He's getting ripped though and fairly for the Cleveland series which was a disaster. Then they lose 2 of 3 to Cubs are are staggering into playoffs. If they go 0-2 he might get fired. I couldn't find any info on his contract but I don't think he got a big extension last year when they extended him.

Yes I think we all could see the Sox extending Renteria but ... who knows?

5 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

The sox team overall did outperform their talent despite the last 6 or 7 games. Not saying the sox don't have talent but they were projected for about mid 80s wins and they won 35 games which is the equivalent of 94 games.

That means the team did perform at least 8 or 9 games better over a full season or about 4 games better over the shortened season (zips had them win 31 games).

Please, everyone, stop with the bullshit "equivalency". You can't just multiple the games by 2.7 and say that's what would happen in a full season. Baseball games aren't played on a calculator.

They showed most of the year that they had the talent to win 4-5 more games than they did. Expectations change, they did not outperform when it was all said and done. 

• Like 4

First off, I congratulate Ricky for getting us into the playoffs and helping return the Sox to some sense of relevance. He should get some consideration for MOY. However, I do think the Sox should have reservations regarding his ability to guide this team going forward. The last week has been brutal. I will give him credit for creating the culture where the players felt comfortable and some of them did blossom. But now it is about winning, not developing. The only culture should now be about wins and losses, especially in September. You had to pinch hit for Nomar tonight. You had to bring in better pitching options late in winnable games. You have to win the game now for there is no tomorrow. Is Ricky capable? This past week says no.

• Like 2

One thing is for sure if he wins one playoff series, this one vs. the A's, he's not going anywhere. It'd be a weird firing and uncalled for. Winning a playoff series with a team that has been the dregs of baseball for years. Sox don't make moves that ridiculous to the nation. Like I said if they go out 0-2 with Stone and Hurt and others ripping him, he could be gone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The Marlins, White Sox and Padres all broke long playoff-less droughts.

That basically leaves the Mariners on the outside looking in.

Lost meaning / importance at this point with literally a team in the bottom half of MLB is now a "playoff participant", and two teams two games under .500.

Playoffs used to signify a quality season, wild card cheapened it, 16 teams destroyed it. Now it's worse than the NHL (31 teams) and tied with the NBA (30) as the least meaningful regular season.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Lost meaning / importance at this point with literally a team in the bottom half of MLB is now a "playoff participant", and two teams two games under .500.

Playoffs used to signify a quality season, wild card cheapened it, 16 teams destroyed it. Now it's worse than the NHL (31 teams) and tied with the NBA (30) as the least meaningful regular season.

Sure, the counter-argument of course is always going to be we STILL would have been a Wild Card team based on overall record...with the caveat being we have no idea how well the White Sox and Robert/Moncada/EE/Mazara would have pulled out of their tailspins over a much longer season.

Not to mention the bullpen was on track to be totally worn out even in a half season (guys like Cordero and Detwiler), with Cishek being yet another patented Rick Hahn FA special ala Herrera.  

Of course, the argument there is Hahn knew Crochet was coming along with Bummer, and that he WOULD have done something in a normal, 162 game schedule at the trade deadline.

Edited by caulfield12

The worn out pen can't be blamed on ricky though. In the contrary ricky actually protected his best pen guys by often putting in weaker relievers in tough spots which set up the team to fail but protected the arms of the best relievers.

The actual problem was the sox only have 2 starters who can go more than 5 so the pen was used a lot.

Had Ricky run the pen like the forum wanted him to do which is basically treat every game like game 7 and never put in a bad reliever in a tough spot the pen would have already been worn out after 30 games.

Ricky made some bad moves but I also felt he protected colome, foster and heuer which were the only reliable relievers over the season after the bummer injury reasonably well by not using them all the time.

If the forum could have decided those 3 and bummer when available would have pitched every game but then they would have been dead by the all star break.

If you have a season with very few off days, starters who can't go deep and really only 3-4 relievers who are good managing a pen is a tough task.

He could have gone dusty Baker and always use the best guys but that would have killed the pen.

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

The worn out pen can't be blamed on ricky though. In the contrary ricky actually protected his best pen guys by often putting in weaker relievers in tough spots which set up the team to fail but protected the arms of the best relievers.

The actual problem was the sox only have 2 starters who can go more than 5 so the pen was used a lot.

Had Ricky run the pen like the forum wanted him to do which is basically treat every game like game 7 and never put in a bad reliever in a tough spot the pen would have already been worn out after 30 games.

Ricky made some bad moves but I also felt he protected colome, foster and heuer which were the only reliable relievers over the season after the bummer injury reasonably well by not using them all the time.

If the forum could have decided those 3 and bummer when available would have pitched every game but then they would have been dead by the all star break.

If you have a season with very few off days, starters who can't go deep and really only 3-4 relievers who are good managing a pen is a tough task.

He could have gone dusty Baker and always use the best guys but that would have killed the pen.

Excellent post. Ricky had a bad week last week for certain, but the overall management of the bullpen beyond Jimmy Cordero worked, the bullpen overall performed above expectations.

Matt Spiegal had a good balanced segment on hit and run on Saturday regarding Rick Renteria which mirrors my thoughts on his tenure and last week. It’s worth a listen if you are opened minded. 

Spiegel: Should Rick Renteria be on the hot seat?

https://www.radio.com/670thescore/podcasts/hit-run-with-matt-spiegel-59

• Like 1