White Sox/A's-- Pre-series Discussion

flavum

Just now, fathom said:

Yep this is as good as you could hope for.  Some signs of life from Robert was great this weekend, and the main bullpen pieces look dynamic.

Yeah, Robert will be the key. 

My main concerns for the series are Oakland's bullpen (it's good and we tend to score our runs late) and us potentially getting off to a rough first inning and not bouncing back. It's baseball, and anything can happen, but this is definitely winnable

23 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If Eloy DHs and they want to play Leury he should play RF. Engel may not be as fast but i trust him more as the roamer in Oakland. I also trust him more in shadows and making plays at the wall. 

Have you just lost your mind? 

Yes, Robert is going to be moved off a position that he graded in the top 4 in every defensive metric because you feel more comfortable with Engel in the "shadows."

Robert is #2 in Statcast Outs above average - tied with Keimier. #4 in FG defensive metrics and #3 in DRS via BRef. In all of baseball. It's great who you trust but I'll go ahead and play the guy who is elite based on every single look.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Have you just lost your mind? 

Yes, Robert is going to be moved off a position that he graded in the top 4 in every defensive metric because you feel more comfortable with Engel in the "shadows."

Robert is #2 in Statcast Outs above average - tied with Keimier. #4 in FG defensive metrics and #3 in DRS via BRef. In all of baseball. It's great who you trust but I'll go ahead and play the guy who is elite based on every single look.

In this particular case, yes I would strongly consider it. I don't care about stats because I've watched Robert looking uncomfortable this past week or so. Oakland is not easy for a CF and certainly not for a rookie who has been struggling on deeper drives towards the wall. And let's not forget Engel has experience in Oakland and is a gold glove caliber player himself. 

• Like 3

I'm ok with this, would've preferred we didn't shit the bed down the stretch but we face off against LHP, Leury is back and we should see a preview of Eloy when Abreu's contract is done.

Starting Line Up Vs. LHP
Anderson - SS
Moncada# - 3B
Abreu - 1B
Jimenez - DH
Grandal# - C
Robert - CF
Garcia# - LF
Engel - RF
Madrigal - 2B

Bench
McCann
Sanchez#
Mendick
Dyson*
Mazara*

Rotation
SP - Giolito
SP - Keuchel*
SP - Dunning
SP - Lopez

BP 
MU - Cease
LR - Rodon*
RP - Fry*
RP - Cordero
MR - Marshall
MR - Crochet*
SU - Foster
SU - Heuer
SU - Bummer*
CL -Colome

Only use Marshall, Crochet*, Foster, Heuer, Bummer* and Colome unless its a blow out or heading to extras.

Edited by beautox
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, beautox said:

I'm ok with this, would've preferred we didn't shit the bed down the stretch but we face off against LHP, Leury is back and we should see a preview of Eloy when Abreu's contract is done.

Starting Line Up Vs. LHP
Anderson - SS
Moncada# - 3B
Abreu - 1B
Jimenez - DH
Grandal# - C
Robert - CF
Garcia# - LF
Engel - RF
Madrigal - 2B

Bench
McCann
Sanchez#
Mendick
Dyson*
Mazara*

Rotation
SP - Giolito
SP - Keuchel*
SP - Dunning
SP - Lopez

BP 
MU - Cease
LR - Rodon*
RP - Fry*
RP - Cordero
MR - Marshall
MR - Crochet*
SU - Foster
SU - Heuer
SU - Bummer*
CL -Colome

Only use Marshall, Crochet*, Foster, Heuer, Bummer* and Colome unless its a blow out or heading to extras.

vs LHP's I'd have McCann play C, especially with Giolito pitching. Grandal can sit his ass on the bench.

Eloy at DH, McCann at C. Make it happen

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Why? So the doofus manager can put Cordero or Rodon in?

It’s the playoffs for the first time in Renteria’s career. He’s rested guys for injury and tried to preserve others late in the season. Bullpen use during the season is not all about putting the best pitcher out there everyday because you have to think about the next day or the playoffs. I’d say nows the time when we really get to judge Renteria’s game decisions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

In this particular case, yes I would strongly consider it. I don't care about stats because I've watched Robert looking uncomfortable this past week or so. Oakland is not easy for a CF and certainly not for a rookie who has been struggling on deeper drives towards the wall. And let's not forget Engel has experience in Oakland and is a gold glove caliber player himself. 

yeah, nothing instills confidence in a young player like switching his position in the post season because you don't think he's capable despite excelling there all year. that's what i want from my leadership. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

It’s the playoffs for the first time in Renteria’s career. He’s rested guys for injury and tried to preserve others late in the season. Bullpen use during the season is not all about putting the best pitcher out there everyday because you have to think about the next day or the playoffs. I’d say nows the time when we really get to judge Renteria’s game decisions.

Amazing how little this is understood around here.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm
  • Like 2

Oakland, huh?

That's an amazing match up.

Cleveland would have sucked, big time, with their pitching staff and how we have been playing.
New York would have been OK, but their hitting is scary and I think would decimate our weak SP.

Oakland really doesn't have shit. Their offense is not good, their pitching has outperformed their skillset. 

Honestly, I'm super happy with that -- I think the White Sox will own this.

I do have them losing to the Twins in the next round tho. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Oakland, huh?

That's an amazing match up.

Cleveland would have sucked, big time, with their pitching staff and how we have been playing.
New York would have been OK, but their hitting is scary and I think would decimate our weak SP.

Oakland really doesn't have shit. Their offense is not good, their pitching has outperformed their skillset. 

Honestly, I'm super happy with that -- I think the White Sox will own this.

I do have them losing to the Twins in the next round tho. 

Just curious, what about the Twins do you think is so much better than the Sox?  

5 minutes ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

Ok bro let's talk about putting in Carlos Rodon in his first game back. I'm sure that was to save someone right

• Love 2

Just now, Jerksticks said:

Just curious, what about the Twins do you think is so much better than the Sox?  

I just don't see the W'Sox beating them, that's all. Their a competent team and we aren't. 

Oakland is not on playoff level after losing Chapman. They find ways to win, but they don't have shit.

Twins have a good enough SP with a legit offense and a team that didn't limp itself down the season. White Sox look like pretenders right now.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

Truth.  I honestly think the Sox saw NO advantage in winning the division, or at least viewed it as LESS important than health, bullpen readiness, lineup readiness etc.  

I mean, Ricky basically said as much.  He literally said he threw Rodon out there because it was better for him to blow the game now than in the playoffs.  I'm not even a Ricky fan -- at all -- but it was beyond obvious we were not playing strictly to win after they clinched a playoff berth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

It was to test him in a high leverage situation.  Ricky explained this.  You can disagree (and I did), but he wouldn't have done it in a playoff game.

Why would we need to when we have Crochet and Bummer already? In what situation would you throw Rodon ahead of those 2 guys in a high leverage situation? Especially in the playoffs, where you throw your best guys regardless of how little rest they have.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Why would we need to when we have Crochet and Bummer already? In what situation would you throw Rodon ahead of those 2 guys in a high leverage situation? Especially in the playoffs, where you throw your best guys regardless of how little rest they have.

Precisely why I said I disagreed with it (I don't think there was a compelling need to do it), but it doesn't change the fact that Ricky was not managing strictly to win.  He was experimenting.  That's the whole point.