White Sox/A's-- Pre-series Discussion

flavum

Kinda wish MLB just played two games at 4pm, and two at 7pm. I mean, is anyone really pumped to watch these early round games outside of your own team? I feel like everyone has their own team and they’re hoping they make it past this series, and then the real playoffs start next Monday.

3 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

The Sox bats were starting to stir in that final series despite the 2 losses. If it turns out the fuse to the offense has been lit, its all academic.

Honestly even against Cleveland they were stirring.  They should have won 3/4 if not for (insert Ricky madness)

I only hope that RR limits bullpen usage to Heuer, Foster, Crochet, Bummer, Marshall, and Colome.  However, I have a feeling the first man up will be Cordero, since RR seems to have a you know what for him.  If Giolito is taken out of a close game and I see Cordero headed for the mound, I will explode.

If Eloy is healthy, I feel like he should be the DH. Oakland is a very spacious place to play. Id like to see a good defensive OF behind Gio.

I dont mean Jarrod Dyson starting

Maybe left to right Engel Loubob Nomar

I know most of you hate Nomar but I really think hes looked more locked in this week and I hope he makes all of us eat our words.

• Like 1

American League wild-card series

No. 8 Toronto Blue Jays at No. 1 Tampa Bay Rays -- Rays 29, Blue Jays 1

No. 7 Chicago White Sox at No. 2 Oakland Athletics -- A's 19, White Sox 11

No. 6 Houston Astros at No. 3 Minnesota Twins -- Twins 21, Astros 9

No. 5 New York Yankees at No. 4 Cleveland Indians -- Indians 20, Yankees 10

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29991008/expert-picks-2020-mlb-playoffs

23 minutes ago, Ben Waffleson said:

If Eloy is healthy, I feel like he should be the DH. Oakland is a very spacious place to play. Id like to see a good defensive OF behind Gio.

I dont mean Jarrod Dyson starting

Maybe left to right Engel Loubob Nomar

I know most of you hate Nomar but I really think hes looked more locked in this week and I hope he makes all of us eat our words.

Swap Leury for Mazara and you've got yourself a deal.

• Like 2

“Well, they’re really going to be surprised when they see Sean Manaea and Jesús Luzardo throwing from the right side,” vice president of baseball operations Billy Beane told The Chronicle on Monday morning. “ That’s really going to throw them for a loop. We have a little something up our sleeve.”

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't know why people are so gung ho for Leury at this point. Thumb injury, hasn't played in a long while. To think he will be better than Mazara is a reach. 

He was playing in Schaumburg, so they have an idea of where he stands. He isn't great, but his solid speed and small pop in the bat is needed. 

1 hour ago, Tomtom said:

I only hope that RR limits bullpen usage to Heuer, Foster, Crochet, Bummer, Marshall, and Colome.  However, I have a feeling the first man up will be Cordero, since RR seems to have a you know what for him.  If Giolito is taken out of a close game and I see Cordero headed for the mound, I will explode.

Isn't Jimmy going to be suspended? How is his appeal still going on?

3 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I agree.  But the best part is that it puts us in the 2nd lesser bracket away from the Twins, Yankees, and Rays, which makes it easier for us to put up a AL Divisional Series Championship Banner and all the other banners that follow.

Fun fact, other than division winner there are no banners until you win the pennant.

In fact, I think some parks *do* have banners for wild card appearances too...

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

It's interesting they're going Luzardo over Manaea, considering Luzardo is a rookie. Manaea didn't exactly fair well in the one playoff start he got last year.

Luzardo has a way higher whiff rate than Manaea so they're probably just playing the higher upside card they've got. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they have Luzardo go 3 or 4 innings and then have Fiers come in for a couple innings to get them into the back end of their bullpen.

Though I think that strategy doesn't work quite as well against the White Sox as some others because the lineup is pretty static regardless of pitcher handedness aside from Mazara/Engel.