White Sox/A's-- Pre-series Discussion

flavum

Truthfully, I haven't paid an exceptional amount of attention to baseball outside the Central this season. So I started looking into the A's a bit. It became clear very quickly that the West was dreadful this season. The A's playedĀ 54Ā of their 60 games against teams that finished below .500. And in the 6 games that they played against teams over .500, they were 2-4. I'm sure part of that can be attributed to the fact that the Dodgers and Padres were bludgeoning everyone all season long, but 54 isĀ excessive. It feels like a just a couple weeks ago the White Sox record was being called into question for loading up wins against the Tigers, Royals, and Pirates, but all that only amounted to 28 games.

Edited by oneofthemikes
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

Truthfully, I haven't paid an exceptional amount of attention to baseball outside the Central this season. So I started looking into the A's a bit. It became clear very quickly that the West was dreadful this season. The A's playedĀ 54Ā of their 60 games against teams that finished below .500. And in the 6 games that they played against teams over .500, they were 2-4. I'm sure part of that can be attributed to the fact that the Dodgers and Padres were bludgeoning everyone all season long, but 54 isĀ excessive. It feels like a just a couple weeks ago the White Sox record was being called into question for loading up wins against the Tigers, Royals, and Pirates, but all that only amounted to 28 games.

No way that is correct. But yes, their schedule was bad

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

No way that is correct. But yes, their schedule was bad

Ā 

3 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

image.png

He said "The A's playedĀ 54Ā of their 60 games against teams that finished below .500" not teams who were at or above .500 at the time. He is absolutely right it took me 2 minutes to fact check.

10 games against Astros (.483)

10 games against Mariners (.450)

10 games against Angels (.433)

10 games against Rangers (.367)

6 games against Giants (.483)

4 games against Rockies (.433)

4 games against D-Backs (.417)

3 games against Dodgers (.717)

3 games against Padres (.617)

• Like 1

Only slightly off-topic: for the Benetti fans out there, he is doing Statcast broadcasts on ESPN+ (separate subscription; $6/mo but really a ton of great content especially if you are a soccer fan) this week:
https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2020/09/espn-to-exclusively-televise-seven-of-eight-mlb-wild-card-series-starting-september-29/

Ā 

For the first time, ESPN will offer its MLB Statcast-driven alternate presentations on ESPN+, beginning September 29, at 7 p.m. ET for the New York Yankees at Cleveland Indians game. Jason Benetti will provide commentary with analyst Kyle Peterson and MLB Statcast Insider Mike Petriello. The trio will also call an additional game on Friday, October 2, currently slated as Game 3 between the Milwaukee Brewers and the Los Angeles Dodgers, if necessary.

The Statcast team will also anchor ESPN+ā€™s first live MLB whiparound show called ā€œSqueeze Playā€ on both September 30 and October 1. The team will go live on Wednesday at 1 p.m. ET to begin approximately 10 hours of live coverage each day, cutting in to key moments in MLB Wild Card Series matchups and providing expert analysis and commentary. ā€œSqueeze Playā€ will provide coverage through the conclusion of the 7 p.m. ET games on those evening.

Ā 

Ā 

58 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Ā 

This almost sounds like EE is not going to start. But what do I know?

Did anybody actually expect EE to start tomorrow? Seems obvious that McCann will catch Lucas and Grandal will be the DH. Not sure how anybody could think EE starts over Grandal.Ā 

Ricky continued to play EE in the regular season in hopes that EE would catch fire. Well he didnā€™t. Iā€™m not saying heā€™ll be on the bench all postseason, but I certainly never expected him to play tomorrow.Ā 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Did anybody actually expect EE to start tomorrow? Seems obvious that McCann will catch Lucas and Grandal will be the DH. Not sure how anybody could think EE starts over Grandal.Ā 

Ricky continued to play EE in the regular season in hopes that EE would catch fire. Well he didnā€™t. Iā€™m not saying heā€™ll be on the bench all postseason, but I certainly never expected him to play tomorrow.Ā 

No. EE was given a full season to get hot and carry us for two weeks as people kept saying. He is done and should be relegated to pinch hitting.Ā 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I am 100% convinced Ricky is going to somehow fuck this up.

Doesn't Ricky have to play EE against lefty starters? It makes no sense to have a DH on the roster when you are not even using him on his good platoon side.Ā 

If you are not using him against lefty starters you can't use him at all and if you don't use him at all you need to take him away from the post season roster because a roster spot is too valuable to waste it on a pinch hit only guy.

That means if the front office didn't want EE to play at least against lefties, EE wouldn't be on the roster.

I hope EE doesn't start against righties but if he is on the roster he basically has to play against lefties.

Edited by Dominikk85

3 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Doesn't Ricky have to play EE against lefty starters? It makes no sense to have a DH on the roster when you are not even using him on his good platoon side.Ā 

If you are not using him against lefty starters you can't use him at all and if you don't use him at all you need to take him away from the post season roster because a roster spot is too valuable to waste it on a pinch hit only guy.

That means if the front office didn't want EE to play at least against lefties, EE wouldn't be on the roster.

I hope EE doesn't start against righties but if he is on the roster he basically has to play against lefties.

Heā€™s been horrible vs LHP

7 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

No. EE was given a full season to get hot and carry us for two weeks as people kept saying. He is done and should be relegated to pinch hitting.Ā 

then you need to take him off the roster though, you can't carry a short side of the platoon pinch hitter on the roster. If you carry him at the very least he has to play the platoon against lefties, otherwise he is just a waste of a roster spot.

• Like 1