White Sox/A's-- Pre-series Discussion

flavum

I would say we are fortunate to be facing a lefty starter who has been good but not great (high potential notwithstanding). A’s also missing their best player the rest of the season and next two best guys coming off poor years. Considering the pants pooping the team did the past week+, I think that’s not bad. Up to the boys to get it done now. 

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

Pretty sure he will be better in the field regardless

I think it's a reach to think he won't be better in every way than Mazara. If they put him out there I'm going to assume he's ready. He accumulated more WAR in the games he has played this year than Mazara has in his whole career.

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

That is so flipping insane.

HAHA i hope I'm right

Nope I'm wrong bWar has Leury at .6 this year while Nomar is at 1.0 for his career.

fWar has Mazara at -5.5 oWAR and  .7 dWAR and it somehow finishes at .2 for 2020   and a 1.9 for his career.

In his 16 games this year Leury had a 109 wRC+   1.3 oWAR and .4 dWAR  = .4 fWAR   1.2 for his career.

Not too many conclusions can be drawn for Leury's meager 63 plate appearance but he was performing very well. K % was way down.

Leury hit more HR's (3) in his 63 PA than Nomar did in his 149 (1)

😋

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
more info

13 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

I would say we are fortunate to be facing a lefty starter who has been good but not great (high potential notwithstanding). A’s also missing their best player the rest of the season and next two best guys coming off poor years. Considering the pants pooping the team did the past week+, I think that’s not bad. Up to the boys to get it done now. 

Chris Bassitt pitcher of the month has Game 2. 

2 minutes ago, skooch said:

I'm guessing one Mr. Chris Bassitt will be out to prove something against the team that traded him. Bassitt and Semien for who now?

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2020/7/27/21339212/samardzija-semien-phegley-bassitt-ynoa-athletics-white-sox-trade-retrospective

25 minutes ago, RG23SoxFan said:

After seeing this if we win game 1 I think we have Keuchel pitch game 3.

To be fair his starts were vs Houston, Texas,  San Francisco, and Seattle so not exactly world beaters and he gave up 7 and 8 hits in the Houston and Texas games just somehow those teams only put up 1 run against him. Not too worried he’s good regardless but I don’t think it’s a scenario where Keuchel needs to be moved back. 

Just now, HahnsKiddieTable said:

To be fair his starts were vs Houston, Texas,  San Francisco, and Seattle so not exactly world beaters and he gave up 7 and 8 hits in the Houston and Texas games just somehow those teams only put up 1 run against him. Not too worried he’s good regardless but I don’t think it’s a scenario where Keuchel needs to be moved back. 

Sounds familiar. 

6 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Has EE ever tried hit make contact or go opposite field? Or has it always been hit it 500 feet to dead left or bust?

Its not his game .He is what he is. He'll manage a few hits to RF and CF and that was usually good enough when he was hitting more than .225 but age and  short season was his doom.

4 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Basically the whole series rides on Game 1. We probably can’t realistically expect to win if Giolito loses and we have to face Bassit next. 

We cant realistically expect to win a game where we are running a pitcher out there who has World Series experience and a 1.99 ERA this season because we are facing Chris Bassit?

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, RG23SoxFan said:

After seeing this if we win game 1 I think we have Keuchel pitch game 3.

Strange thinking . You win game 1 you're want to do everything in your power not to let it get to a game 3. Put your best on the field and be confident you can finish them off in 2 . Bassitt is not  some superstar pitcher.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

We cant realistically expect to win a game where we are running a pitcher out there who has World Series experience and a 1.99 ERA this season because we are facing Chris Bassit?

Yea all this playing scared is for losers. Hit them with your best shot the 1st 2 games .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

then you need to take him off the roster though, you can't carry a short side of the platoon pinch hitter on the roster. If you carry him at the very least he has to play the platoon against lefties, otherwise he is just a waste of a roster spot.

He is like George Bell when Sox were in the playoffs that one year. He was finished.

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Strange thinking . You win game 1 you're want to do everything in your power not to let it get to a game 3. Put your best on the field and be confident you can finish them off in 2 . Bassitt is not  some superstar pitcher.

Sox should be loose. No expectations at all and the first year of what "should" be a nice run of playoff appearances. The bats need to erupt. I'm not saying they will erupt (superstition baby), I'm saying they could understandably erupt.

11 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Realistically expect = odds in our favor. I think it’s fair to say the odds would be highly against us if we lose to a lefty while we throw Gio and have to win the next two while facing their ace.  

Why is it so negative to think Game 1 is far more important for the Sox?

33 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Basically the whole series rides on Game 1. We probably can’t realistically expect to win if Giolito loses and we have to face Bassit next. 

Barf

Edited by DoUEvenShift
If someone uses "basically" "probably" and "realistically" within 2 sentences trying to make a point... That point is basically, probably dumb.
  • Like 1