Wild Card playoff thread Sox at A's Game 1 - First Pitch at 2 PM CT

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

We are not a top 5 seed. 

Using the playoff tree before this season, we would have been in the playoffs, tied with Cleveland as the 4th seed.  Don't recall what the tie breaker for home field/4th seed would have been last year.  The Sox had a better record than 2 of the 3 second place teams, which got artificially seeded higher under this made up system for 2020.

• Like 1

9. Luis Robert, 22, Chicago White Sox (1.5 fWAR)

Robert seemed like the obvious Rookie of the Year pick coming into the season, since he had a clear full-time job, plus defense in center, and legit power. Even as I picked him to win that honor, though, I pointed out that he had trouble with velocity inside, and that’s where he struggled this year, hitting .214/.314/.330 off fastballs and whiffing on 31 percent of fastballs on the inner third of the zone. He can still make a huge impact on a playoff game with his defense, speed, and the power he shows when he can get his arms extended, but I expect to see the A’s try to pound him inside with fastballs (and of course, outside with sliders, my edit).

Jimenez 6th, Robert 9th on Top 20 impact players in the playoffs under 25, had a really nice/complimentary paragraph on Jimenez, though

The abbreviated season meant a lot of player breakouts happened quietly, like Jiménez’s surge to .296/.332/.559, a jump in his wRC+ from 116 last year to 141 this year; he’s a threat to hit 40 homers if we get a full season in 2021. He’s not the most famous under-25 guy in the White Sox’ lineup, but he’s the one on whose bat I’d bet the most for this postseason.

https://theathletic.com/2099573/2020/09/29/law-the-top-20-players-under-25-in-the-2020-postseason/?source=dailyemail

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

You said "turned playoffs back" as if they were going back to the old format.  In that case, we would be the 5 seed.

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Using the playoff tree before this season, we would have been in the playoffs, tied with Cleveland as the 4th seed.  Don't recall what the tie breaker for home field/4th seed would have been last year.  The Sox had a better record than 2 of the 3 second place teams, which got artificially seeded higher under this made up system for 2020.

That is why I used seed and not qualifier. Baseball last year used top 5 seeds for playoff qualification. This year, the premise of the seeds are different, but they are still seeded nonetheless. Thus, if they retroactively went back to top five seeds, we would not qualify as the 7 seed as it currently stands. 

Edited by SonofaRoache
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Maybe someone should tell our team this is the playoffs. No pitcher will be in the game long enough to completely suck this round with all the off days after. We are getting a filthy lefty today, not some chump. So let's not get overconfident and remain focused. 

Exactly. They gotta score the first couple innings because that might be all he pitches.

• Like 1

Don't have the same confidence I had in 1983 or 2005 heading into the postseason, but looking forward to this series and beyond.

Planning on hitting Goose Island Clybourn to watch the game, may audible to Fulton which opened specially today (typically closed Tuesdays) just for the game.

Most anxious to see the roster for the first round, hoping it is released online before I hit the train.

Cheers!

• Like 1