AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX PLAYOFF WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, KonerkoFan1 said:

Hey, all. Very longtime fan and lurker. Admittedly been in the "Fire Renteria" crowd and still am and actually felt like I would prefer the Sox lose if it meant he gets axed, thinking long term. But logic be damned, after getting a taste of a postseason win again at long last, my fan instincts have taken over and I want to do the unthinkable after that abysmal end to the season. Even with Hahn's misfires and misses I know we have the talent. Let's get 'em!

:gosox1:

P.S. - Where's NUKECLEVELAND these days? (I remember!)

As long as Ricky remembers which end of the bullpen bench the roster filler is sitting at he'll be fine.  We have a bunch of guys who can get outs!  Come to think of it, that holds true for every manager.  If their bullpen's got it, they look like geniuses.

29 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

As long as Ricky remembers which end of the bullpen bench the roster filler is sitting at he'll be fine.  We have a bunch of guys who can get outs!  Come to think of it, that holds true for every manager.  If their bullpen's got it, they look like geniuses.

I just really didn't want to see Cordero or Rodon today. Mission accomplished.

1 hour ago, Stinky Stanky said:

For all his bluster hawk had some great truisms including "your bullpen is only as good as your offense".  As a general rule that usually plays out.  Helluva lot easier to hold a 4 run lead than a one run lead.

6 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I thought Renteria blew the game when he brought Giolito back out. The playoffs are not the time to be making gaffes like that. 

I think that was a good decision. It was a 4 run lead and giolito was dealing. 

That was exactly the time to stretch the starter and save the pen, the no off days post season means you have to take some chances.

I would have pulled gio one batter earlier after the lead off got on but even giving him one extra batter was not that terrible of a decision.

With 4-0 bottom 8th sox had a 96% win expectancy and with the lead off on that lowered to 92%. That was the right situation to take a chance with their best starter as the Sox pen will be used a ton the next couple days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think that was a good decision. It was a 4 run lead and giolito was dealing. 

That was exactly the time to stretch the starter and save the pen, the no off days post season means you have to take some chances.

I would have pulled gio one batter earlier after the lead off got on but even giving him one extra batter was not that terrible of a decision.

With 4-0 bottom 8th sox had a 96% win expectancy and with the lead off on that lowered to 92%. That was the right situation to take a chance with their best starter as the Sox pen will be used a ton the next couple days.

The ALDS starts Monday. The bullpen usage should not be a factor this series. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

The ALDS starts Monday. The bullpen usage should not be a factor this series. 

It could be though If there is a game 3 and the pen is needed early there. Also keuchel could need relief early too if it goes wrong. I think a 4 run lead in the 8 was a good situation to wait it out a little.

Michael Jordan told us years ago that the most important game in a series is game 5......yesterday was game five and we won. 

And Bob Melvin who I feared would pants RR probably cost his team that game.

Nobody will convince me that Don Cooper doesn't run the pitching staff and the bullpen.  The fan wants Gio to stay in but the rationale/baseball people go to the lights out pen.   

Edited by Harry Chappas

14 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

It could be though If there is a game 3 and the pen is needed early there. Also keuchel could need relief early too if it goes wrong. I think a 4 run lead in the 8 was a good situation to wait it out a little.

Bringing him out I didn't really have a problem with.  The pep talk and leaving him out there after the 4 pitch walk,  that was a big problem for me.   

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Bringing him out I didn't really have a problem with.  The pep talk and leaving him out there after the 4 pitch walk,  that was a big problem for me.   

Exactly. After that walk, it was time to go to the bullpen. Giolito was even close on that walk. I didn't understand what Renteria was thinking at that point.

12 hours ago, KonerkoFan1 said:

Hey, all. Very longtime fan and lurker. Admittedly been in the "Fire Renteria" crowd and still am and actually felt like I would prefer the Sox lose if it meant he gets axed, thinking long term. But logic be damned, after getting a taste of a postseason win again at long last, my fan instincts have taken over and I want to do the unthinkable after that abysmal end to the season. Even with Hahn's misfires and misses I know we have the talent. Let's get 'em!

:gosox1:

P.S. - Where's NUKECLEVELAND these days? (I remember!)

I was wondering about Nuke as well. He goes back a lot further than me I think.