Wild Card playoff thread Sox at A's Game 2- First Pitch at 2 PM CT

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

I didn't.  What specifically were they referring to?  Was he limping or something?

Apparently. He said he looked bad during BP. Didn't think he would be able to pinch hit. Like was mentioned earlier, the pinch hitting talk was probably a bluff, but maybe he could have Kirk Gibsoned it. 

33 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

This post is so accurate. Remember when these things wouldn't happen in the playoffs. Just need a Jimmy Guns appearance for a perfect RR game.

I think this is quite the overreaction; as I said, this has more to do with batting 5th than the player playing imo. It sucks he's playing, but the match-up in 1 game isn't some absurdity vs McCann's career numbers vs righties.

Just now, mqr said:

Could prevent Mazara from getting an especially bad matchup, for fear of bringing in Eloy to face a lefty they bring out idk. 

The way the rules work you can replace the pitcher after the hitter is announced though; I guess if it was to lead off an inning and you wanted to bring in a new pitcher it could matter a little, but it's not like a team is preparing for Eloy as he sits on the bench like other sports.

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The way the rules work you can replace the pitcher after the hitter is announced though; I guess if it was to lead off an inning and you wanted to bring in a new pitcher it could matter a little, but it's not like a team is preparing for Eloy as he sits on the bench like other sports.

If Eloy is a viable option or if he is not, can definitely change an opposing manager's mind. Although there are very few lefties the Sox would actually take down for a pinch hitter. Mazara for sure, but he isn't in the line up. They obviously thought there was a decent chance he is going to be able to play in the series or they would have left him off the roster. Until he is ready, you might as well say he could pinch hit. They could have him walk up to the on deck circle and that could make a difference how Oakland pitches to someone.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

Maybe because McCann looked lost yesterday with 3 strike outs?

McCann was WAY overaggressive against the young kid yesterday.  If we are gonna have somebody in there swinging the bat every time like they're trying to break the sound barrier, might as well be Edwin, he's the heavyweight champ of that particular thing.

39 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I'm not watching it, but it is sad they would allow something like this to affect a playoff game. Given them the best conditions possible. Shadows are bad. Having them a big factor in a game from the start is stupidity.

There have been flyballs to CF-RF that we cannot see on TV. The player runs back into darkness.