Wild Card playoff thread Sox at A's Game 2- First Pitch at 2 PM CT

southsider2k5

30 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Do people really think this is the way the world works? It would have been a completely different game without those Madrigal plays, it could have turned out better for the Sox or even worse.

Yes, and it would be a completely different game if Madrigal consistent fuckups on the base paths and in the field did not occur. Then you get him running through stop signs and getting injured. Never having a fucking clue out there. It is regular and expected at this point.

The game plays out much differently if close, Sox could have won easy. You can’t give outs and games away.

How exactly would the game turned out “better” if the Sox escape the first scoreless, and Madrigal scores from third, versus sitting at second?

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Start Dunning and get their lefties in the lineup then bring in Crochet the 2nd time through the lineup

One could argue that there are 6 better options that could pitch you would rather see than Dunning though.  To me, that’s pitching him just because he’s supposed to be a starter.

24 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Not sure the rules, but there is really no reason to tell the other team until the last possible moment who the starter is. 

Yeah, there can’t be a rule against waiting until the last minute, is there? If so, it would be too easy to get around. Just announce Keuchel as the starter and then change your mind last minute. 

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It's not great, but a .254 average/.760 OPS against lefties is that big of a concern for you?

Its also the first time they would see him. No matter he has a short leash but I would rather see if Melvin pitch hits and takes the lefties out half way through the game. 

19 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yes, and it would be a completely different game if Madrigal consistent fuckups on the base paths and in the field did not occur. Then you get him running through stop signs and getting injured. Never having a fucking clue out there. It is regular and expected at this point.

The game plays out much differently if close, Sox could have won easy. You can’t give outs and games away.

How exactly would the game turned out “better” if the Sox escape the first scoreless, and Madrigal scores from third, versus sitting at second?

Butterfly effect. The entire game happens differently which could have resulted in the A's scoring even more than 5 runs. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sockin said:

There’s no way EE is in the lineup tomorrow, right?

You just can't.  He is an automatic out.  However, since RR said in the post game that he put in Collins because he could run into one, I could see him use that same logic for Edwin.  I hope not.  McCann will give you a much better at bat.

• Like 1

I am sure there hasn't been a whole lot of optimism tonight, but hopefully after toasting their pen in game one, and beating up their closer today, their pen should be in really bad shape for this tomorrow.  The Sox pen is largely fresh and ready to go.  I don't know if it will be Dunning or an opener, but the Sox are ready with their best relief pitching in a prime spot tomorrow.

• Like 1