Wild Card playoff thread Sox at A's Game 2- First Pitch at 2 PM CT

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Hey man, we got two good playoff games. One where they won, the other where they fought back and we thought they could do it. 

Better than listlessly getting swept.

I dunno, maybe a decisive sweep gets Renteria canned. 😛

51 minutes ago, wegner said:

Wouldn't it be nice to not be talking about a bullpen game in game 3 of a playoff series?

Go get Bauer in the offseason!!

Bauer chewed out his offense today. Maybe that'll be enough for him to leave Cincy. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Bauer chewed out his offense today. Maybe that'll be enough for him to leave Cincy. 

That is uncalled for behavior.  I am sure they would have finally pushed across their first run of the game in the 14th,

1 hour ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Butterfly effect. The entire game happens differently which could have resulted in the A's scoring even more than 5 runs. 

May want to shoot for something higher, like Eddie Debartolo being allowed buying the White Sox and bringing a 49ers like Dynasty to a still standing Comiskey Park. 

Or Rick Hahn expanding on Tesla’s work and developing free electricity.

Or Rick Renteria choosing medicine and developing a cure for cancer.

Or Jerry Reinsdorf staying in Brooklyn and creating a 50/50 partnership with a fellow New Yorker, Bernie Madoff.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

May want to shoot for something higher, like Eddie Debartolo being allowed buying the White Sox and bringing a 49ers like Dynasty to a still standing Comiskey Park. 

Or Rick Hahn expanding on Tesla’s work and developing free electricity.

Or Rick Renteria choosing medicine and developing a cure for cancer.

Or Jerry Reinsdorf staying in Brooklyn and creating a 50/50 partnership with a fellow New Yorker, Bernie Madoff.

Eddie Debartolo?  These are some expert level grudges.

Join us in the 21st century. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

I don't like relying on 7 or 8 guys to be on.  We saw what happened with Hendricks today.  I start Rodon then go to Dunning or vice versa to get through 5. 

I haven't read what's happening but it's got to be Dunning even though there are no guarantees he'll be good.

2 hours ago, Capn12 said:

Eloy’s inability to stay healthy is becoming a frustrating situation. It’s really hurting us in this series, even as DH, it would have been huge.

Very good post. He's a huge factor when he's in the lineup and healthy.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Sort of what I'm thinking too. But as fathom mentioned, that feels a little too out of the box for the Sox quite frankly. 

I don’t know. Even Scott Merkin was advocating for it

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

I don't like relying on 7 or 8 guys to be on.  We saw what happened with Hendricks today.  I start Rodon then go to Dunning or vice versa to get through 5. 

Agree completely.  All it takes is one guy to make a few mistakes and it can sink you.  Whoever they come up with to start the game you have to hope that they can give you 4 pretty good innings at a minimum.

10 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Does he mean last game of series win or go home?

Scott Merkin's  tweet makes no sense.

White Sox win or go home postseason scenarios:

• 10/1/20
  • 10/6/08
  • 10/5/08
  • 10/6/00
  • 10/12/93
  • 10/8/83
  • 10/8/59
  • 10/9/19
Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Thanks 1

I am sure this has been discussed ad naseum  but it really galls me to see the Smardiza (whatever) trade come back to bite us again. Semiem homered and Bassitt shut us down. Phegley was the other throw in. The A’s gained three starters who were ex- Sox and we got a toothless Shark. Same goes for giving up Tatis for Shields. That’s why I have little patience for folks urging us to trade our young talent. Even those that have struggled have the talent to turn it around 

Edited by elrockinMT
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, tray said:

Bullpen game.   7 pitchers to get 27 out.

Innings

1 -2 Huer

3-6  Foster, Marshall, Cordero

7- Crochet

8 -Bummer

9- Colume

I believe it's important to start the game with a RH or LH so then the A's counter with their lineup against the opener. Then after the opener pitch a guy who throws with the opposite hand for as long as he can go. Hopefully you grab the lead early and you force the A's into changing their lineup and use their bench to try to get back in the game in the middle innings and lessening their options for the later innings.

10 hours ago, fathom said:

One could argue that there are 6 better options that could pitch you would rather see than Dunning though.  To me, that’s pitching him just because he’s supposed to be a starter.

In order to win It might be necessary to have at least one guy go 3-4 innings . That will have to be one of the starters. Cease was used today so that kinda leaves Dunning. If you plan to use a bunch of guys 1 or 2 innings that's asking a lot of different guys to be  on their game or you risk running out of quality guys too early. You can't just pull guys at the 1st sign of trouble.  I know it's win or go home so game 3 is priority one but at some point  this post season Dunning and Cease will have to start a game.

If Cordero isn't used tomorrow then are you afraid to also use Fry or Rodon ? Do you use Foster, Heuer, Bummer, Crochet and try to get 2 innings out of each one leaving Marshall in reserve if one of the 1st 4 has to be pulled early ? What if 2 get pulled early ? This is not that easy of a call to make. The offense showing up early will be a big factor.

If you start Foster is it then alternate LH/RH after that or do you try to sneak in  Fry or Rodon to piggyback on Crochet depending on how many runs the Sox score ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside