Wild Card playoff thread Sox at A's Game 2- First Pitch at 2 PM CT

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

In order to win It might be necessary to have at least one guy go 3-4 innings . That will have to be one of the starters. Cease was used today so that kinda leaves Dunning. If you plan to use a bunch of guys 1 or 2 innings that's asking a lot of different guys to be  on their game or you risk running out of quality guys too early. You can't just pull guys at the 1st sign of trouble.  I know it's win or go home so game 3 is priority one but at some point  this post season Dunning and Cease will have to start a game.

If Cordero isn't used tomorrow then are you afraid to also use Fry or Rodon ? Do you use Foster, Heuer, Bummer, Crochet and try to get 2 innings out of each one leaving Marshall in reserve if one of the 1st 4 has to be pulled early ? What if 2 get pulled early ? This is not that easy of a call to make. The offense showing up early will be a big factor.

If you start Foster is it then alternate LH/RH after that or do you try to sneak in  Fry or Rodon to piggyback on Crochet depending on how many runs the Sox score ?

After sleeping on it, I think I would actually start one of the bullpen guys and go inning by inning. Sure, you run the risk of running out of quality guys, but you then still have Dunning if necessary. I’d rather choose an option where there’s a chance we get through a game with our six best bullpen pieces and Dunning is there as an emergency to pitch 3 or 4 innings than choose an option where you start Dunning just because it’s possible something could go wrong. 

If you’re Oakland right now, what are you hoping we do? I think they are hoping we start Dunning and they can get to him early. 

47 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

After sleeping on it, I think I would actually start one of the bullpen guys and go inning by inning. Sure, you run the risk of running out of quality guys, but you then still have Dunning if necessary. I’d rather choose an option where there’s a chance we get through a game with our six best bullpen pieces and Dunning is there as an emergency to pitch 3 or 4 innings than choose an option where you start Dunning just because it’s possible something could go wrong. 

If you’re Oakland right now, what are you hoping we do? I think they are hoping we start Dunning and they can get to him early. 

But as we saw yesterday, the A's best bullpen option was off. I actually think he was so pumped up he was overthrowing. So using 6 bullpen options presents the same problem in that some number may be off and put the Sox in a hole. It is a gamble either way. I thik you go w a starter and then throw bullpen arms as soon as the A's start having success. 

But I thought Gio would struggle w no experience and Dallas would mow them down. So RR should probably flip a coin 

19 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

But as we saw yesterday, the A's best bullpen option was off. I actually think he was so pumped up he was overthrowing. So using 6 bullpen options presents the same problem in that some number may be off and put the Sox in a hole. It is a gamble either way. I thik you go w a starter and then throw bullpen arms as soon as the A's start having success. 

But I thought Gio would struggle w no experience and Dallas would mow them down. So RR should probably flip a coin 

You're right.  It could really go either way.  The way I see it is that anybody could be off, including Dunning. It's a crapshoot...so the best option is to just go inning by inning and pitch the best possible option in that particular inning.

If all that mattered was getting through the first inning scoreless, who do you pitch?  Whatever the answer is, that's who you go with. I'd rather have Foster than Dunning.

But like you said, it's a coin flip. I wouldn't want to be the one making the decision.