Jump to content
southsider2k5

Wild Card playoff thread Sox at A's Game 2- First Pitch at 2 PM CT

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Hey man, we got two good playoff games. One where they won, the other where they fought back and we thought they could do it. 

Better than listlessly getting swept.

I dunno, maybe a decisive sweep gets Renteria canned. 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, wegner said:

Wouldn't it be nice to not be talking about a bullpen game in game 3 of a playoff series?

Go get Bauer in the offseason!!

Bauer chewed out his offense today. Maybe that'll be enough for him to leave Cincy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Bauer chewed out his offense today. Maybe that'll be enough for him to leave Cincy. 

That is uncalled for behavior.  I am sure they would have finally pushed across their first run of the game in the 14th,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Butterfly effect. The entire game happens differently which could have resulted in the A's scoring even more than 5 runs. 

May want to shoot for something higher, like Eddie Debartolo being allowed buying the White Sox and bringing a 49ers like Dynasty to a still standing Comiskey Park. 

Or Rick Hahn expanding on Tesla’s work and developing free electricity.

Or Rick Renteria choosing medicine and developing a cure for cancer.

Or Jerry Reinsdorf staying in Brooklyn and creating a 50/50 partnership with a fellow New Yorker, Bernie Madoff.

 

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

May want to shoot for something higher, like Eddie Debartolo being allowed buying the White Sox and bringing a 49ers like Dynasty to a still standing Comiskey Park. 

Or Rick Hahn expanding on Tesla’s work and developing free electricity.

Or Rick Renteria choosing medicine and developing a cure for cancer.

Or Jerry Reinsdorf staying in Brooklyn and creating a 50/50 partnership with a fellow New Yorker, Bernie Madoff.

 

Eddie Debartolo?  These are some expert level grudges.

Join us in the 21st century. 

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Eddie Debartolo?  These are some expert level grudges.

Join us in the 21st century. 

 

 

Butterflies are magic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

 

How was games 3 and 4 of the 2008 ALDS not “win or go home”?  They were both elimination games for the Sox.

  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

I don't like relying on 7 or 8 guys to be on.  We saw what happened with Hendricks today.  I start Rodon then go to Dunning or vice versa to get through 5. 

I haven't read what's happening but it's got to be Dunning even though there are no guarantees he'll be good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Capn12 said:

Eloy’s inability to stay healthy is becoming a frustrating situation. It’s really hurting us in this series, even as DH, it would have been huge.

Very good post. He's a huge factor when he's in the lineup and healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tony said:

Sort of what I'm thinking too. But as fathom mentioned, that feels a little too out of the box for the Sox quite frankly. 

I don’t know. Even Scott Merkin was advocating for it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

I don't like relying on 7 or 8 guys to be on.  We saw what happened with Hendricks today.  I start Rodon then go to Dunning or vice versa to get through 5. 

Agree completely.  All it takes is one guy to make a few mistakes and it can sink you.  Whoever they come up with to start the game you have to hope that they can give you 4 pretty good innings at a minimum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Does he mean last game of series win or go home?

Scott Merkin's  tweet makes no sense.

White Sox win or go home postseason scenarios:

  • 10/1/20
  • 10/6/08
  • 10/5/08
  • 10/6/00
  • 10/12/93
  • 10/8/83
  • 10/8/59
  • 10/9/19
Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bullpen game.   7 pitchers to get 27 out.

Innings

1 -2 Huer

3-6  Foster, Marshall, Cordero

7- Crochet

8 -Bummer

9- Colume

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Scott Merkin's  tweet makes no sense.

White Sox win or go home postseason scenarios:

  • 10/1/20
  • 10/6/08
  • 10/5/08
  • 10/6/00
  • 10/12/93
  • 10/8/83
  • 10/8/59
  • 10/9/19

He probably means for both teams??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure this has been discussed ad naseum  but it really galls me to see the Smardiza (whatever) trade come back to bite us again. Semiem homered and Bassitt shut us down. Phegley was the other throw in. The A’s gained three starters who were ex- Sox and we got a toothless Shark. Same goes for giving up Tatis for Shields. That’s why I have little patience for folks urging us to trade our young talent. Even those that have struggled have the talent to turn it around 

Edited by elrockinMT
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tray said:

Bullpen game.   7 pitchers to get 27 out.

Innings

1 -2 Huer

3-6  Foster, Marshall, Cordero

7- Crochet

8 -Bummer

9- Colume

I believe it's important to start the game with a RH or LH so then the A's counter with their lineup against the opener. Then after the opener pitch a guy who throws with the opposite hand for as long as he can go. Hopefully you grab the lead early and you force the A's into changing their lineup and use their bench to try to get back in the game in the middle innings and lessening their options for the later innings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, fathom said:

One could argue that there are 6 better options that could pitch you would rather see than Dunning though.  To me, that’s pitching him just because he’s supposed to be a starter.

In order to win It might be necessary to have at least one guy go 3-4 innings . That will have to be one of the starters. Cease was used today so that kinda leaves Dunning. If you plan to use a bunch of guys 1 or 2 innings that's asking a lot of different guys to be  on their game or you risk running out of quality guys too early. You can't just pull guys at the 1st sign of trouble.  I know it's win or go home so game 3 is priority one but at some point  this post season Dunning and Cease will have to start a game.

If Cordero isn't used tomorrow then are you afraid to also use Fry or Rodon ? Do you use Foster, Heuer, Bummer, Crochet and try to get 2 innings out of each one leaving Marshall in reserve if one of the 1st 4 has to be pulled early ? What if 2 get pulled early ? This is not that easy of a call to make. The offense showing up early will be a big factor.

If you start Foster is it then alternate LH/RH after that or do you try to sneak in  Fry or Rodon to piggyback on Crochet depending on how many runs the Sox score ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

In order to win It might be necessary to have at least one guy go 3-4 innings . That will have to be one of the starters. Cease was used today so that kinda leaves Dunning. If you plan to use a bunch of guys 1 or 2 innings that's asking a lot of different guys to be  on their game or you risk running out of quality guys too early. You can't just pull guys at the 1st sign of trouble.  I know it's win or go home so game 3 is priority one but at some point  this post season Dunning and Cease will have to start a game.

If Cordero isn't used tomorrow then are you afraid to also use Fry or Rodon ? Do you use Foster, Heuer, Bummer, Crochet and try to get 2 innings out of each one leaving Marshall in reserve if one of the 1st 4 has to be pulled early ? What if 2 get pulled early ? This is not that easy of a call to make. The offense showing up early will be a big factor.

If you start Foster is it then alternate LH/RH after that or do you try to sneak in  Fry or Rodon to piggyback on Crochet depending on how many runs the Sox score ?

After sleeping on it, I think I would actually start one of the bullpen guys and go inning by inning. Sure, you run the risk of running out of quality guys, but you then still have Dunning if necessary. I’d rather choose an option where there’s a chance we get through a game with our six best bullpen pieces and Dunning is there as an emergency to pitch 3 or 4 innings than choose an option where you start Dunning just because it’s possible something could go wrong. 

If you’re Oakland right now, what are you hoping we do? I think they are hoping we start Dunning and they can get to him early. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

After sleeping on it, I think I would actually start one of the bullpen guys and go inning by inning. Sure, you run the risk of running out of quality guys, but you then still have Dunning if necessary. I’d rather choose an option where there’s a chance we get through a game with our six best bullpen pieces and Dunning is there as an emergency to pitch 3 or 4 innings than choose an option where you start Dunning just because it’s possible something could go wrong. 

If you’re Oakland right now, what are you hoping we do? I think they are hoping we start Dunning and they can get to him early. 

But as we saw yesterday, the A's best bullpen option was off. I actually think he was so pumped up he was overthrowing. So using 6 bullpen options presents the same problem in that some number may be off and put the Sox in a hole. It is a gamble either way. I thik you go w a starter and then throw bullpen arms as soon as the A's start having success. 

But I thought Gio would struggle w no experience and Dallas would mow them down. So RR should probably flip a coin 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×