Umpires embarassing themselves all year.

harkness99

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Balls and strikes have always been bad, There is just so much more technology now and social media to get the info out. The sooner they go to robot umpires the better. 

I think pitchers also throw so hard now and framing is so extreme it’s just an impossible job

1 hour ago, MeanJoeCrede said:

Why not list umpire stats just like players?They have all the statcast data. No reason they couldn't create stats adjusting for game situations and so forth....

That is a very thoughtful and Innovative idea and I give you credit.

However, I would rather just have computerized umpiring and just be done with it. And I've been a proponent of that for years already.

But maybe let's wait until Grandal's is contract is up with us. 😛

Edited by KonerkoFan1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think pitchers also throw so hard now and framing is so extreme it’s just an impossible job

True. Having the strike zone on the broadcasts makes it way easier for fans to see what's a strike and what isn't.

11 minutes ago, chw42 said:

True. Having the strike zone on the broadcasts makes it way easier for fans to see what's a strike and what isn't.

I think they should remove this stuff. Keep it internal. They can still have tracking data available, they can still show pitch location but if they remove the Strike Zone box I think b****ing by fans would decrease significantly.

The biggest mistake MLB ever made was making the K zone public. Now every game is a referendum on umpires. 

With robot umps low breaking balls would be impossible, as most of them nick the zone even when they're in the dirt. How can you call that a strike when it never was before in the history of baseball?  

Robot umps open a giant can of worms. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, fathom said:

yeah its a hard job with framing.. but when you watch all these misses (check out the umpire auditor thing someone linked)  The batters know like every time.  It's not as mysterious as they are making it.

They are just bad at their jobs.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think they should remove this stuff. Keep it internal. They can still have tracking data available, they can still show pitch location but if they remove the Strike Zone box I think b****ing by fans would decrease significantly.

The biggest mistake MLB ever made was making the K zone public. Now every game is a referendum on umpires. 

With robot umps low breaking balls would be impossible, as most of them nick the zone even when they're in the dirt. How can you call that a strike when it never was before in the history of baseball?  

As fans we all see the pitch go against and get furious, but I agree with Jack "Now every game is a referendum on umpires. ".  Robot's are not the solution, give the ump a break. The game is moving fast and you can only make so many split second decisions with a ball bearing down on you.  Now are there bad umps, yes that is true, but we are all prone to make a mistake now and then.  Just don't do it to my SOX!

Edited by A-Train to 35th

4 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

As fans we all see the pitch go against and get furious, but I agree with Jack "Now every game is a referendum on umpires. ".  Robot's are not the solution, give the ump a break. The game is moving fast and you can only make so many split second decisions with a ball bearing down on you.  Now are there bad umps, yes that is true, but we are all prone to make a mistake now and then.  Just don't do it to my SOX!

Way too many mistakes this year - its been bad.  In the Giants game the umpire missed 27 calls in basically an elimination win and in game.

Sorry I don't agree.

• Love 2

40 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

what?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The White sox dugout and Mazara were furious - they could tell from the dugout.  I'm not even sure what you are talking about in the rest of this post.   You can tell most of these pitches are bad calls without the benefit of any graphics.  But if you watch the zone trackers they sure look correct at least 99% right or better.

Edited by harkness99

This is from fangraphs: 

rplot01.png?w=588

That list is a list of top 15 and bottom 15 from a fangraphs community piece by the umpire guys posted on page 1 of this thread. I have heard of every single umpire in the bottom 15, but I can honestly say besides Fairchild, Little and Barret - all who I know as good umpires - I've never heard of the rest of the top 15.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1

Thing that gets me is consistency. If you call pitches 2 inches off the plate strikes that's fine. But you have to call all of them not just pick and choose and choose to take the bat out of hitters hands because well I feel like it. If your consistent the hitter adjusts and knows what to expect. But hitting is hard enough without another outside factor. Rob Manfred is too much a wuss to take action on this

What is the exact definition of the strike zone? Knees to nipples? Would they be able to set an automated strike zone for somebody that hasn't been in the majors yet? Do they set it in the fly as the guy is batting based on his size and stance?

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

If it’s a strike, it’s a strike.  Don’t care about that can if the pitches are being correctly called.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

what?

Technically, a breaker that hits the dirt at the catcher, depending on how much break there actually is, can nick the zone near the front of the plate. Robot umps would call that a strike. Also, a pitch that looks a foot outside or inside could theoretically do the same. The zone isn't a plane, it's a box. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Technically, a breaker that hits the dirt at the catcher, depending on how much break there actually is, can nick the zone near the front of the plate. Robot umps would call that a strike. 

Well then it’s a strike.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, asindc said:

Well then it’s a strike.

That's fucking unhittable and unfair to hitters, along with never having been called a strike in the history of baseball. 

Like I said in the edit, the same thing could happen on the edges where a breaker that's caught a foot outside or nearly hits a batter suddenly becomes a strike for nicking the zone at the front of the plate. 

Do you want .200 to become the new .300 and 10 k games to become the norm? 

That's what would happen. 

I'm fine with a hybrid system where pitches that are strikes that don't make sense are overridden by the umps. Use the auto zone most of the time, and common sense when necessary. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's fucking unhittable and unfair to hitters, along with never having been called a strike in the history of baseball. 

Like I said in the edit, the same thing could happen on the edges where a breaker that's caught a foot outside or nearly hits a batter suddenly becomes a strike for nicking the zone at the front of the plate. 

Do you want .200 to become the new .300 and 10 k games to become the norm? 

That's what would happen. 

I'm fine with a hybrid system where pitches that are strikes that don't make sense are overridden by the umps. Use the auto zone most of the time, and common sense when necessary. 

Are you suggesting that the strike zone is unfair when a pitcher is able to nick the bottom of it?  Either it is meant to be a strike or it’s not.  If not, then the strike zone needs to be changed to reflect that.  Either way, call a strike a strike.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, asindc said:

Are you suggesting that the strike zone is unfair when a pitcher is able to nick the bottom of it?  Either it is meant to be a strike or it’s not.  If not, then the strike zone needs to be changed to reflect that.  Either way, call a strike a strike.

I'm suggesting it's unfair when pitches that have never been strikes in the history of baseball, and are pretty much impossible to hit, suddenly become strikes. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm suggesting it's unfair when pitches that have never been strikes in the history of baseball, and are pretty much impossible to hit, suddenly become strikes. 

It is only unfair if the pitch is actually out of the strike zone.  If it is in the strike zone, call it a strike or change the zone.

• Like 1