Umpires embarassing themselves all year.

harkness99

13 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

There's no difference; crouching is not supposed to change your strike zone. 

Is that in the rule book ? Tell that to all the umps who gave Henderson all those walks all those years . No pone hits standing straight up . ALl hitters use at least some knee bend in their stance . How is that not supposed to count ?

3 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

This is already in the rules. Per the definitions section of the MLB rulebook:

"The STRIKE ZONE is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the kneecap. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter’s stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball."

So if you can swing in an exaggerated crouch, that is your strike zone. But if you crouch and then pop out of it to swing, the strike zone would not be affected by the crouch.

Haha so a way to cheat this is to wear your pants low... it would drop the top level of the strike zone(not by much though)

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Is that in the rule book ? Tell that to all the umps who gave Henderson all those walks all those years . No pone hits standing straight up . ALl hitters use at least some knee bend in their stance . How is that not supposed to count ?

he posted the rule, but the zone is as describe when you're swinging - so standing relatively straight up. Even bagwell popped up at contact; impossible to swing thru without lifting up.

47 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

Well where the player is standing shouldn’t effect the strike zone... it’s over the plate no matter where you stand. But standing up and crouching down can make it taller and shorter depending...

I always thought the strike zone was where the balls crosses the players body as long as its over the plate then and ump has to judge is it high or low according to where the batter is in the box and his stance. Of course the robo umps calling of balls and strikes gets a little easier if you don't count stance or where the hitter is in the box. Maybe where he is in the box doesn't matter but I don't see how stance can't matter since if you compare stance to actual height most probably lose 3 or 4 inches when you take your hitting stance.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

he posted the rule, but the zone is as describe when you're swinging - so standing relatively straight up. Even bagwell popped up at contact; impossible to swing thru without lifting up.

Wait so you think that when swing you are relatively standing straight up ? I would highly disagree with that since your legs are relatively far apart when you take your stride forward. I still think that's a decent 2-4 inches lower than your actual height.

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Ok last post since I'm just basically arguing that a lot of thought has to be given to how a robo ump makes his balls and strikes calls for which it has to be highly individualized from batter to batter. I still disagree with you . Go measure your height standing straight up legs shoulder width apart, then measure again in your stance and then again when you swing with legs even farther part than your stance because of stride. You don't lift your whole body . Your legs are still bent and wide apart. You might lower your chin to your chest to stay on the ball and drop your back shoulder to get lift on your arms but you are much shorter in your stance and your swing always than when you are standing straight up with feet shoulder width apart. 

43 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

Basically there is very little real manipulation of the strike zone according to the rules.

yes, this is the jest of it. not sure what people aren't grasping. you can crouch as low as you want, but everyone is swinging from a near similar position and the zone is only effected by their height; as the rule is written.

34 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ok last post since I'm just basically arguing that a lot of thought has to be given to how a robo ump makes his balls and strikes calls for which it has to be highly individualized from batter to batter. I still disagree with you . Go measure your height standing straight up legs shoulder width apart, then measure again in your stance and then again when you swing with legs even farther part than your stance because of stride. You don't lift your whole body . Your legs are still bent and wide apart. You might lower your chin to your chest to stay on the ball and drop your back shoulder to get lift on your arms but you are much shorter in your stance and your swing always than when you are standing straight up with feet shoulder width apart. 

I'm not sure what this means; no one is arguing the zone is you standing straight up tall. I was saying relatively upward, in comparison to the crouches Bagwell and RIckey started in as an example... unless I missed someone saying that? The zone is where you are in the hitting position, not where you start but where you are when coming to the ball. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run