Pitchers for game 3

5 minutes ago, flavum said:

Dunning for 4-5, Crochet 2, Heuer-Bummer-Colome clean it up.

Hopefully Rodon enjoys the view from the bullpen.

Yeah, very possible if not likely.  The Sox have good pen pieces to use.  Foster and Marshall could each probably go 2 as well.  The risk is that you need 5-6 guys to all be on.

Edited by turnin' two

45 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I think they'll start Dunning and have a quick hook.  Essentially having him pitch the first leg in a bullpen game.  I'd guess Dunning (2) Rodon (2) Crochet (2) Heuer-Bummer-Colome.  Something like that.  And then if Dunning is on his stuff, you can leave him in the game.

This is the direction I would go, except I wouldn't use Rodon.

Edited by KrankinSox

15 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Start a reliever. Dunning from there.

I've thought about this idea too, but it's tough when you don't know how Dunning will respond to coming in relief.  I know he did it in college, but to be a starter this year and then be asked to enter in the 2nd or 3rd inning could be tough. 

I think I would start Dunning and let him go once through the lineup. Then you use the pen to cover 6 innings or so.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Manaea or Fiers.  I'd guess Fiers as they may want to avoid starting a lefty.

Don't think they'll make the lefty mistake again so I expect Fiers as well. Fiers is much more hittable than Bassitt. I expect him to have a short leash and I expect the Sox to get to him. With Hendriks throwing 49 pitches today, I like our chances tomorrow regardless of who we start. Our pen is fresh.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Looks about right to me, although I think they start with Dunning and then go to Crotchet.

This. Start with Dunning and if he is rolling, let him go an extra inning or two. Then bring out the weapons.

• Like 1

I think they will start Dunning but if it were up to me I’d go

Foster- 2 innings to start, he’s been our opener all season and has been spot on

Crochet - 2

Dunning- 1

Heuer -1 

Marshall - 1

Bummer - 1
Colome - 1

If I’m the Sox I don’t play around with the walks with dunning. Let him go further if he’s on but you can’t let him consistently fall behind the hitters. 

57 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Don't think they'll make the lefty mistake again so I expect Fiers as well. Fiers is much more hittable than Bassitt. I expect him to have a short leash and I expect the Sox to get to him. With Hendriks throwing 49 pitches today, I like our chances tomorrow regardless of who we start. Our pen is fresh.

FWIW, Fiers has historically owned us in his career.

25 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I feel like you gotta save 100 mph for high end game leverage

Agree.  Also I really hate putting the nastier guys in first and then putting in easier guys after.  Crochet should be later.  

I do like the idea of mixing up L/R on the opposition if possible.  We have enough pitching to do it, which is why it's such a shame we can't rely on Rodon.  We could go Foster for 2, Rodon for 2, Marshall the 5th, Bummer 6th, Heuer 7th, Crochet 8th, Colome 9th.

2 hours ago, turnin' two said:

I think they'll start Dunning and have a quick hook.  Essentially having him pitch the first leg in a bullpen game.  I'd guess Dunning (2) Rodon (2) Crochet (2) Heuer-Bummer-Colome.  Something like that.  And then if Dunning is on his stuff, you can leave him in the game.

No Rodon.   Would rather see Foster. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

If Dunning starts, I think the biggest question mark is when to pull him.  We can all say that a "quick hook" is needed, but what exactly does that mean?  If he gives up a run?  If two guys get on base in an inning?

Let's say he pitches a scoreless first inning, giving up one single.  Then to start the second inning, he gets an out and then walks a guy.  Then the next guy lines out, and the guy after that singles.  2 on, 2 out.  Are you pulling him there?

RR is going to have a tough decision, unless he's lights out.  The only guarantee is that people will complain about the decision based on the outcome.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

If Dunning starts, I think the biggest question mark is when to pull him.  We can all say that a "quick hook" is needed, but what exactly does that mean?  If he gives up a run?  If two guys get on base in an inning?

Let's say he pitches a scoreless first inning, giving up one single.  Then to start the second inning, he gets an out and then walks a guy.  Then the next guy lines out, and the guy after that singles.  2 on, 2 out.  Are you pulling him there?

RR is going to have a tough decision, unless he's lights out.  The only guarantee is that people will complain about the decision based on the outcome.

Tomorrow our season gets put into the hands of RR and his strategy.  I figure knowing him Cordero starts.  

• Haha 1

I don’t trust Ricky and really hope the front office has some influence on the starter/opener. We are in a great position to face an Astros team that made it into the playoffs below .500 and advance to the ALCS. Even just winning this wild card round to lose in the division series should be a great enough taste to comeback stronger next season in the team’s and front office’s eyes.

Edited by claydude14
  • Like 1