Jump to content

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, claydude14 said:

I don’t trust Ricky and really hope the front office has some influence on the starter/opener. We are in a great position to face an Astros team that made it into the playoffs below .500 and advance to the ALCS. Even just winning this wild card round to lose in the division series should be a great enough taste to comeback stronger next season in the team’s and front office’s eyes.

couldnt have said that any better. Win tomorrow and we are in a good position to make it to the AL Championship. I pray to the baseball gods that its not left up to Ricky's gut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bullpen thing sounds cute and all, but you're not getting  by the ALDS or any future rounds without a 3rd SP.  It's Dunning.  That simple. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Foster or Dunning. I dont want someone who hasn't started a game before to do it in a do or die playoff game. Starting is completely different than coming out of the bullpen no matter how many outs you are "scheduled for." I for sure don't want to do it to a rookie who was drafted a few months ago

Give Dunning until he let's up a run or gets in to trouble after the 2nd. As soon as he gives up a run you get ready to pull him the next base hit/walk unless he has bases loaded with 0 or 1 out

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, turnin' two said:

I think they'll start Dunning and have a quick hook.  Essentially having him pitch the first leg in a bullpen game.  I'd guess Dunning (2) Rodon (2) Crochet (2) Heuer-Bummer-Colome.  Something like that.  And then if Dunning is on his stuff, you can leave him in the game.

Are we trying to lose?  Rodon sucks.  He should not see the mound

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s see Dunning go out there and shut em the Fbomb down for 6IP.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised they didn't shift one of the morning (Reds vs Braves) or early afternoon games (either Chicago) to the empty ESPN Yankees / Cleveland slot tomorrow. The only schedule change was to shift the Cardinals Padres from 4 to 6 CDT, and leaving it on ESPN 2.

What is ESPN going to air in prime time? A replay of their daily programming of 2-4 guys yelling hot takes at each other? A 2019 WSOP replay? Magnus Ver Magnusson winning The World's Strongest Man competition from three decades ago? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, that streak against lefties is almost up to Twins’ 18 game winless streak in reverse.

Or the A’s string of postseason series losses, I think ten including WC games as one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hi8is said:

Let’s see Dunning go out there and shut em the Fbomb down for 6IP.

There you go!

 I like a relatively short rope with crochet on deck but go Dane! This is what it’s all about. Live the dream boys!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve already outlasted the Central...and no way we beat the Yankees the way their offense has been going.  That point has to be obvious after watching that marathon back and forth game.  Tristan McKenzie’s like a cross between Carl Edwards and Ramon Martinez.

Just 18 months ago, Dunning was such a huge question mark, and yet here we are.  We at least have made it a huge battle for survival.

Otoh, the idea of Renteria going anywhere seems less and less likely by the hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

If Dunning starts, I think the biggest question mark is when to pull him.  We can all say that a "quick hook" is needed, but what exactly does that mean?  If he gives up a run?  If two guys get on base in an inning?

Let's say he pitches a scoreless first inning, giving up one single.  Then to start the second inning, he gets an out and then walks a guy.  Then the next guy lines out, and the guy after that singles.  2 on, 2 out.  Are you pulling him there?

RR is going to have a tough decision, unless he's lights out.  The only guarantee is that people will complain about the decision based on the outcome.

I'm glad you brought these things up. This is no easy decision. Can the Sox really start Crochet ? He's supposed to have nerves of steel but a guy starting who hasn't started but 1 college game in the last year ?

In order to win It might be necessary to have at least one guy go 3-4 innings . That will have to be one of the starters. Cease was used today so that kinda leaves Dunning. If you plan to use a bunch of guys 1 or 2 innings that's asking a lot of different guys to be  on their game or you risk running out of quality guys too early. You can't just pull guys at the 1st sign of trouble.  I know it's win or go home so game 3 is priority one but at some point  this post season Dunning and Cease will have to start a game.

If Cordero isn't used tomorrow then are you afraid to also use Fry or Rodon ? Do you use Foster, Heuer, Bummer, Crochet and try to get 2 innings out of each one leaving Marshall in reserve if one of the 1st 4 has to be pulled early ? What if 2 get pulled early ? This is not that easy of a call to make. The offense showing up early will be a big factor.

If you start Foster is it then alternate LH/RH after that or do you try to sneak in  Fry or Rodon to piggyback on Crochet depending on how many runs the Sox score or try to save Crochet/Bummer for late innings ?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Start Foster and then go with the other 5 pen guys that have been lights out this year(including Crochet here).  Yes, we’re going to need Dunning if we advance but in a do or die game go with your best guys and just try to survive.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm glad you brought these things up. This is no easy decision. Can the Sox really start Crochet ? He's supposed to have nerves of steel but a guy starting who hasn't started but 1 college game in the last year ?

In order to win It might be necessary to have at least one guy go 3-4 innings . That will have to be one of the starters. Cease was used today so that kinda leaves Dunning. If you plan to use a bunch of guys 1 or 2 innings that's asking a lot of different guys to be  on their game or you risk running out of quality guys too early. You can't just pull guys at the 1st sign of trouble.  I know it's win or go home so game 3 is priority one but at some point  this post season Dunning and Cease will have to start a game.

If Cordero isn't used tomorrow then are you afraid to also use Fry or Rodon ? Do you use Foster, Heuer, Bummer, Crochet and try to get 2 innings out of each one leaving Marshall in reserve if one of the 1st 4 has to be pulled early ? What if 2 get pulled early ? This is not that easy of a call to make. The offense showing up early will be a big factor.

If you start Foster is it then alternate LH/RH after that or do you try to sneak in  Fry or Rodon to piggyback on Crochet depending on how many runs the Sox score or try to save Crochet/Bummer for late innings ?

 

Obviously the mental side will need to be best answered by sox but at very least I'd guess there would be a difference in starting when you are told you don't need to go more than 2 innings. He can be his top velo self.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

We’ve already outlasted the Central...and no way we beat the Yankees the way their offense has been going.  That point has to be obvious after watching that marathon back and forth game.  Tristan McKenzie’s like a cross between Carl Edwards and Ramon Martinez.

Just 18 months ago, Dunning was such a huge question mark, and yet here we are.  We at least have made it a huge battle for survival.

Otoh, the idea of Renteria going anywhere seems less and less likely by the hour.

The Yankees would be favorites if they played the Sox. But the Sox absolutely could beat them. Baseball is weird. You're hot for 5 games, then ice cold. If the Sox start playing like they did 3-4 weeks ago, they can roll through any team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Sarava said:

The Yankees would be favorites if they played the Sox. But the Sox absolutely could beat them. Baseball is weird. You're hot for 5 games, then ice cold. If the Sox start playing like they did 3-4 weeks ago, they can roll through any team.

No idea why people constantly have the urge to write off our team.  I just hate the loser mentality some people have around here.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No idea why people constantly have the urge to write off our team.  I just hate the loser mentality some people have around here.

Absolutely.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that Dunning is coming off of a couple of non-stellar outings, but he's only 2 weeks removed from throwing 7 innings of 1-run ball against the Twins.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No idea why people constantly have the urge to write off our team.  I just hate the loser mentality some people have around here.

If only we had Tatis, then we would never lose a game like the Padr....wait

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No idea why people constantly have the urge to write off our team.  I just hate the loser mentality some people have around here.

Fine.  Even without Jimenez, we would/should been favorites over the Yankees.

Because that will be Hahn’s message during the offseason for not adding another bat, that we have Vaughn on the way to go with additions of Kopech and Crochet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, turnin' two said:

I think they'll start Dunning and have a quick hook.  Essentially having him pitch the first leg in a bullpen game.  I'd guess Dunning (2) Rodon (2) Crochet (2) Heuer-Bummer-Colome.  Something like that.  And then if Dunning is on his stuff, you can leave him in the game.

please no rodon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd start Dunning and see how he does. Pull him the split second he gets hit or loses his control. Let's assume 2 inn:

2 Crochet

2 Foster

2 Bummer/Huer

1 Colome

 

Edit: In all honesty I would mind saying f it and playing Crochet longer. Lets see if he can go 3-4 (based on pitches thrown) then go straight to Bummer.

Edited by Capital G
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

If only we had Tatis, then we would never lose a game like the Padr....wait

Well, since they are already missing their equivalents of Giolito and Keuchel...this is a perfectly good comparison.

Otoh, White Sox fans are scared to death of a third starter in Dunning or Cease with much better numbers than the first starter for SD in Paddack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

The bullpen thing sounds cute and all, but you're not getting  by the ALDS or any future rounds without a 3rd SP.  It's Dunning.  That simple. 

This is true. We need to have a big three TOR next season, and I still believe DK can be a 3 for sure. We are headed in the right direction, but we shall see if the starting pitching is improved by June.   Also, our division has been beaten thus far this postseason. Cannot have glaring lineup holes in the playoffs and expect to get past the typical big boys. I said last week playing the Yankees would be a nightmare scenario at this point. You have to be able to get guys on base, and not just hit the long ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, since they are already missing their equivalents of Giolito and Keuchel...this is a perfectly good comparison.

Otoh, White Sox fans are scared to death of a third starter in Dunning or Cease with much better numbers than the first starter for SD in Paddack.

You just said the Sox can't beat the Yankees so maybe you shouldn't be calling anyone else chicken little

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No idea why people constantly have the urge to write off our team.  I just hate the loser mentality some people have around here.

It is not always a loser mentality, sometimes it is playing the matchup and odds game. This isn't simply about bad stretches. There is a time and a place to play certain teams, and if you want to advance, a little luck is involved. Odds are that the Astros got their series win out of the way by beating a historically bad playoff team. They were under .500 for a reason. Playing the As and then them provides us the best chance of going to the ALCS. Playing the Yankees or Indians first would not have given our guys a chance to get their playoff feet wet first. Those would have been bad matchups to start for us. If we get to the ALCS and meet the Yankees, we will be in a much better position to beat them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×