Pitchers for game 3

1 minute ago, oneofthemikes said:

I know that Dunning is coming off of a couple of non-stellar outings, but he's only 2 weeks removed from throwing 7 innings of 1-run ball against the Twins.

Kid still has a 3.99 FIP on the season.  Yes, he dominated some bad teams, but he’s also a rookie recovering from TJS.  I’ll take my chances with him at least once through their order.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Fine.  Even without Jimenez, we would/should been favorites over the Yankees.

Because that will be Hahn’s message during the offseason for not adding another bat, that we have Vaughn on the way to go with additions of Kopech and Crochet.

Jimenez has already been ruled out for the next series?  I didn’t even realize he had officially been ruled out of today’s game

And who said we’d be the favorites against the Yankees?  Saying it’s not impossible for us to beat them is not suggesting we automatically will.  Meanwhile, you’ve already written off any chance we have against them.  See the difference?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Kid still has a 3.99 FIP on the season.  Yes, he dominated some bad teams, but he’s also a rookie recovering from TJS.  I’ll take my chances with him at least once through their order.

Yeah, that's all I'm saying. I just saw some people talking about using an opener for him or capping him at 2 innings and I was just pointing out that he's capable of more.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jimenez has already been ruled out for the next series?  I didn’t even realize he had officially been ruled out of today’s game

And who said we’d be the favorites against the Yankees?  Saying it’s not impossible for us to beat them is not suggesting we automatically will.  Meanwhile, you’ve already written off any chance we have against them.  See the difference?

Obviously nothing is impossible in baseball.

We’d consistently win 42-45 times out of 100 if we performed a computer computer simulation thousands of times, with Jimenez out of the lineup the first two games.  How the computer would account for home vs. road games during Covid, no idea.

It’s simply a matter of calculating the odds looking at an Oakland lineup where LaStella and Lamb are arguably their two most dangerous hitters and comparing that to NY, where Gardner and Sanchez hit at the bottom.   NY can survive without a key hitter, but can Oakland without Chapman?  Not to mention the more playoff experienced Yankees’ pen, even though they took some lumps yesterday.

So let’s get the Ray Ray Run thread back going where he calls everyone out for not being positive enough...

Because it’s always so fun when getting dutifully lectured about what type of White Sox fan one should be.

Fifty years would argue one should be pragmatic and realistic.  I am willing to be thousands of dollars that CWS wasn’t around for the 70’s and 80’s.   The worst thing Sox fans in their 30’s suffered was the last twelve years, and at least the last three were mostly hopeful/optimistic because of the talent in the pipeline.  12 years is nothing compared to 1959 to 1983. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

We’d consistently win 42-45 times out of 100 if we performed a computer computer simulation thousands of times, with Jimenez out of the lineup the first two games.  How the computer would account for home vs. road games during Covid, no idea.

It’s simply a matter of calculating the odds looking at an Oakland lineup where LaStella and Lamb are arguably their two most dangerous hitters and comparing that to NY, where Gardner and Sanchez hit at the bottom.   NY can survive without a key hitter, but can Oakland without Chapman?  Not to mention the more playoff experienced Yankees’ pen, even though they took some lumps yesterday.

Just like it’s not impossible for a team that set a recent MLB home run record to go winless over the last two years in the postseason in Minnesota...showing up both times with a punchless offense.

If you want a more challenging argument to make, try convincing Twins and Vikings fans they’ll win another World Series or Super Bowl.  Can lump in the Browns and Indians, too. 

Jesus. What is this post even?

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Just like it’s not impossible for a team that set a recent MLB home run record to go winless over the last two years in the postseason in Minnesota...showing up both times with a punchless offense.

If you want a more challenging argument to make, try convincing Twins and Vikings fans they’ll win another World Series or Super Bowl.  Can lump in the Browns and Indians, too. 

:huh

So let’s get the Ray Ray Run thread back going where he calls everyone out for not being positive enough...

Because it’s always so fun when getting dutifully lectured about what type of White Sox fan one should be.

Fifty years of being a White Sox fan, only the criminally insane would argue against taking a position both pragmatic and realistic.  And I am willing to bet thousands of dollars that CWS wasn’t around for the 70’s and 80’s.   The worst thing Sox fans in their 30’s suffered was the last twelve years, and at least the last three were mostly hopeful/optimistic because of the talent in the pipeline.  12 years is nothing compared to 1959 to 1983.  Or 1919 to 1959.

Edited by caulfield12

9 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Agree.  Also I really hate putting the nastier guys in first and then putting in easier guys after.  Crochet should be later.  

I do like the idea of mixing up L/R on the opposition if possible.  We have enough pitching to do it, which is why it's such a shame we can't rely on Rodon.  We could go Foster for 2, Rodon for 2, Marshall the 5th, Bummer 6th, Heuer 7th, Crochet 8th, Colome 9th.

You dont start a college guy game 3

Edited by pcq

Just now, pcq said:

You dont start a college guy gam

But he’s just playing catch out there, he’s too young to really think about the circumstances/consequences and that he should be scared or intimidated in the face of the playoff moment, etc.

That said, no, you don’t think of starting Crochet, because then you practically guarantee he will start to overthink things.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

So let’s get the Ray Ray Run thread back going where he calls everyone out for not being positive enough...

Fifty years would argue one should be pragmatic and realistic.  I am willing to be thousands of dollars that CWS wasn’t around for the 70’s and 80’s.   The worst thing Sox fans in their 30’s suffered was the last twelve years, and at least the last three were mostly hopeful/optimistic because of the talent in the pipeline.  12 years is nothing compared to 1959 to 1983. 

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No idea why people constantly have the urge to write off our team.  I just hate the loser mentality some people have around here.

Due the fact the Sox now have one reliable starter and while the pen looks good, it is reliant on unproven guys out there.

I don't think it is writing it off as much as it is an extremely young team that has some holes that experience alone can fill.

Regardless of what happens in the next 9 hours, the day after the world series this year, the White Sox will be a top five favorite to win the 2021 world series which was the plan when the rebuild began. 

With Cease getting used yesterday, there are one of two right answers here.

Dunning on a short leash

Foster as an opener

My expectation is that we see Dunning to start and then mix and match as situations present themselves for the rest of the game.  The only guy out of the pen who might be limited is Jimmy Cordero who threw 35 pitches yesterday, and you probably don't want to see unless it is an emergency situation anyway.  Everyone else should be ready match up by match up, and by situation and score.  You have a guy like Rodon if you get down big early to eat some innings, and all of the Sox top set up guys have had minimal usage.

On the A's side, they have Hendricks throwing 49 pitches yesterday, plus Diekman going two days in a row. Also of note is Wendelken throwing 38 pitches in game 1. 

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

Due the fact the Sox now have one reliable starter and while the pen looks good, it is reliant on unproven guys out there.

I don't think it is writing it off as much as it is an extremely young team that has some holes that experience alone can fill.

Regardless of what happens in the next 9 hours, the day after the world series this year, the White Sox will be a top five favorite to win the 2021 world series which was the plan when the rebuild began. 

Just because Dallas had one bad start, doesn't mean he isn't reliable.  Watching him leave everything up and struggle with control, and then exit early, I am going to guess we find out after the playoffs that his back is still bothering him.

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

This is true. We need to have a big three TOR next season, and I still believe DK can be a 3 for sure. We are headed in the right direction, but we shall see if the starting pitching is improved by June.   Also, our division has been beaten thus far this postseason. Cannot have glaring lineup holes in the playoffs and expect to get past the typical big boys. I said last week playing the Yankees would be a nightmare scenario at this point. You have to be able to get guys on base, and not just hit the long ball.

Playing the Yankees is a dream scenario ! That means we win game 3 and beat Houston too. Then we're 1 step away from being in the World Series. I'll take that "nightmare scenario" every time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Just because Dallas had one bad start, doesn't mean he isn't reliable.  Watching him leave everything up and struggle with control, and then exit early, I am going to guess we find out after the playoffs that his back is still bothering him.

That is my guess and why he is currently considered unreliable to me.  I am not saying going forward he is unreliable but at this time until proven otherwise he has to be a ?     

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Playing the Yankees is a dream scenario ! That means we win game 3 and beat Houston too. Then we're 1 step away from being in the World Series. I'll take that "nightmare scenario" every time.

I meant playing the Yankees in the wild card round was a nightmare scenario. Our guys need a few games under their belt. Playing them in the ALCS gives us a much better chance of beating them. 

I'll put it this way.. fans are fickle. Mazara has two good at bats and all of a sudden people are considering him for today. Rodon had one bad outing and he's garbage. 

It's all hands on deck toady ... I'm fine with whoever Ricky puts out there. These boys have got it done all year mostly - let's ride. 

On the flip side Fiers, Montas, Manaea, etc. don't scare me. Let's put up some runs early in Top 1 and then never stop chopping wood and move on. Lets go!

• Like 2