Crochet's arm fine

southsider2k5

43 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

That sucks. Hopefully he can avoid TJ.

It sounds bad but I would try conservative treatment first so you can keep him on the roster and send him down instead of 15 months of service time getting lost on the DL.

Oh god, I didn’t even think of the Kopech like implications of an injury.

12 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It usually happens at once.  A pitcher will tell you he either felt it snap or heard it pop.  They know the moment it happens.  That's why i'm optimistic it's a strain or a cramp.  He didn't react like it snapped.  

If I remember correctly, Kopech had no idea he tore his UCL.  Didn't he say he was surprised by the diagnosis?  It seems that sometimes the pitcher knows immediately he injured himself, and sometimes they don't know.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Garrett Crochet prays that he turns into Tommy John.  Dude had 26 year career and a borderline HOF one at that.  If we got that from Crochet, it would be a win of the highest magnitude.

And if we can trade him after seven productive seasons along with a utility infielder for the equivalent of Dick Allen I'll be ecstatic!

23 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That's why I said it usually happens at once.  There are times when the ligament is so significantly frayed that it just breaks away which is what happened to Kopech. The more more frequent injury is the ligament snapping at once.   

I think the ligament never really snaps at once. Of course at some point it will snap but it always was weakened before, an uncompromised UCL won't tear.

One theory with the forearm strains that sometimes occur before tj is the ligament kinda gets stretched out or loosened a little and then forearm muscles try to do the job of the ligament and stabilize the elbow which can lead to overload of those muscles when throwing and subsequently muscle strains.

Not sure if that is really true though and even if it is not every strain must be related to an ucl problem. Often forearm strains occur before ucl injuries but sometimes they are just forearm strains and the elbow is ok after a couple weeks of rest.

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Like 1

• knightni changed the title to Crochet's arm fine
  • knightni pinned this topic
  • knightni unpinned this topic