Crochet's arm fine

southsider2k5

20 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

The pessimist in me is saying they're going to try to treat it with rest for months, only to realize that he needs TJS in the middle of next season or something.

I hope I'm dead wrong.

Usually flares up about a week into spring training. we've seen this movie so many times before. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

The pessimist in me is saying they're going to try to treat it with rest for months, only to realize that he needs TJS in the middle of next season or something.

I hope I'm dead wrong.

If he tore his UCL, there's no chance - given his age and control left - they wouldn't send him to TJ if that was the best decision to make. Obviously, it's up to him at the end of the day but I would take the lack of news pertaining to Crochet as very good news.

I said it at the time, but it looks like the White Sox may have just saved the kids are preemptively and caught and injury before it became catastrophic. It sucks, because I think the Sox win the game if Crochet doesn't get hurt, but at least the kid might be ready to go next year.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If he tore his UCL, there's no chance - given his age and control left - they wouldn't send him to TJ if that was the best decision to make. Obviously, it's up to him at the end of the day but I would take the lack of news pertaining to Crochet as very good news.

I said it at the time, but it looks like the White Sox may have just saved the kids are preemptively and caught and injury before it became catastrophic. It sucks, because I think the Sox win the game if Crochet doesn't get hurt, but at least the kid might be ready to go next year.

This is my hopes as well. Yes, a 4mph drop is a worry, but maybe they really dodge a bullet. Being how crazy this season was for Crochet, I love that they immediately pulled him after 1 awry pitch. 

5 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I’m no doctor, but if he needed Tommy John, wouldn’t they have been able to determine that by now?

Sure, but like I keep saying, it would be announced by Hahn at the media call wrap-up. They’re clearly waiting for something to have it, as the Sox haven’t responded to Fegan’s question about when the call would be.

I know some think the opposite; however, the longer this goes on without knowing makes me think this is more serious than expected.   It never works, look at Dunning, to say let's see if it can heal.............Starting to get worried.  Hahn should have ordered the MRI immediately and we would have know something by now. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sox71 said:

I know some think the opposite; however, the longer this goes on without knowing makes me think this is more serious than expected.   It never works, look at Dunning, to say let's see if it can heal.............Starting to get worried.  Hahn should have ordered the MRI immediately and we would have know something by now. 

Stop.  The highly paid baseball people who employ the highly paid medical people are doing exactly everything the way they see fit with every player on the team.  Assuming anything different is completely insane.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sox71 said:

Hahn should have nothing to do with ordering an mri... that is completely on the medical staff. I am sure if there is any reason to he would have had it by now. I will trust what ptatc has said on here many times... if you don’t need to do surgery you don’t do it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sox71 said:

There is zero chance that they didn't order an MRI if they thought there was any chance of a tear.  Keep in mind that if there is swelling results aren't always accurate and clear in the early days.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Stop.  The highly paid baseball people who employ the highly paid medical people are doing exactly everything the way they see fit with every player on the team.  Assuming anything different is completely insane.  

Agree. 

2 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I’m no doctor, but if he needed Tommy John, wouldn’t they have been able to determine that by now?

It's not always easy.  A partial tear is hard to see on the imaging and sometimes they will recommend rest and rehab before surgery if it's unclear.  As noted, we've seen this movie before where they try and rehab it but eventually need surgery anyways.  Sometimes I'd imagine it's "better" (just from a fans standpoint) to fully tear the UCL and just get it over with.

It IS good news that its taking this long for an announcement because they announced Kopech's the next morning I believe. This makes me feel they are just monitoring his arm. In any case there is no difference if they wait until spring training for the surgery since it will still result in a lost year anyway.

4 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I don't think it's cut-and-dried these days. As more and more pitchers run into UCL issues, it seems to me that we've seen both (1) an increasing number of pitchers able to get back to 100% using platelet-rich injections and related therapies as an alternative, and (2) an increasing numbers of pitchers fail to get back to effectiveness post-Tommy John, either at all or within a short-enough time frame to avoid significantly lowering their ceilings.

The cost of losing six months to waiting and finding out you need TJS anyway seems like a significant cost to us in the short-term, but when you compare it to the risks of the procedure and the built-in costs of loss of physical-prime development time that comes with the rehab, and try to put yourself in the shoes of the person who is taking those risks -- all of a sudden six months can seem like a reasonable or even barely significant price to pay for more information/certainty.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yesterday333 said:

Hahn should have nothing to do with ordering an mri... that is completely on the medical staff. I am sure if there is any reason to he would have had it by now. I will trust what ptatc has said on here many times... if you don’t need to do surgery you don’t do it. 

Really? I disagree.  Hahn would have called medical staff and indicated that he wanted to know the status ASAP. It happens all the time.  The longer this goes without info the worse it is.   I’m hoping to be wrong.  Hahn needs to address.  

5 minutes ago, sox71 said:

Hahn needs to address. 

It’s been said already... he will during his end of the year presser... usually they don’t take the focus from any playoff baseball and hold announcements until the end of the World Series. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sox71 said:

Really? I disagree.  Hahn would have called medical staff and indicated that he wanted to know the status ASAP. It happens all the time.  The longer this goes without info the worse it is.   I’m hoping to be wrong.  Hahn needs to address.  

Why?  Hahn has for sure addressed it internally, which is really all that matters.  Sure we all WANT to know, but it isn't a need.  It doesn't matter a lick if he tells the rest of us October 2, today, or November.  It will come out when it comes out.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, yesterday333 said:

ptatc has said on here many times... if you don’t need to do surgery you don’t do it. 

Words of wisdom and experience. Having said that, I think most of us expect tho hear that he will need TJS.

I dream of Kopech and Crochet dealing at the top of our rotation, or one or the other at the end of our bullpen of Closing.

We need a break when it comes to injuries in 2021 so the Sox can have everyone aboard and make a run.

On 10/2/2020 at 9:32 AM, southsider2k5 said:

Garrett Crochet prays that he turns into Tommy John.  Dude had 26 year career and a borderline HOF one at that.  If we got that from Crochet, it would be a win of the highest magnitude.

A soft tossing lefty?

10 hours ago, Hatchetman said:

Usually flares up about a week into spring training. we've seen this movie so many times before. 

Yep.  He does have that whip motion like Kopech that I didn't see before.  Oh, rats.

17 hours ago, yesterday333 said:

Hahn definitely is in communication with the medical staff about that. Hahn is not an idiot, I'm sure they have already done medical testing. Fans would like to know but at this moment it only matters what they do internally. 

Fans always prefer getting TJ out of the way but imo you should try to avoid TJ if you can. Tanaka also was supposed to need TJ 4-5 years ago and he had some good years. 

Also maybe it really was only a mild strain or it could be worse but that is on the medical staff to assess. 

8 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Hahn definitely is in communication with the medical staff about that. Hahn is not an idiot, I'm sure they have already done medical testing. Fans would like to know but at this moment it only matters what they do internally. 

Fans always prefer getting TJ out of the way but imo you should try to avoid TJ if you can. Tanaka also was supposed to need TJ 4-5 years ago and he had some good years. 

Also maybe it really was only a mild strain or it could be worse but that is on the medical staff to assess. 

Tanaka was never a high 90’s guy, though.  He always relied more on command and movement than pure stuff.

• knightni changed the title to Crochet's arm fine
  • knightni pinned this topic
  • knightni unpinned this topic