We are mad at the wrong Rick

reiks12

Yes I am writing this in the top of the 5th inning of our potential elimination game. We may still win this game but what an embarrassment. Everyone in the game thread is screaming at Renteria but honestly he doesn't have a choice. We went into the trade deadline with 2 starters and that was deemed good enough for a playoff run. TWO STARTERS! I can't stand Renteria but he cant will his pitchers to do well, that falls on roster construction.  When you are forced to go to a rookie coming off TJS, a rookie who has never pitched above AA, to be your Game 3 starter then the blame can't be put on you. That falls on the general manager. Rick Hahn sat on his hands after the trade deadline. Rick Hahn settled for Gio Gonzalez in the offseason when there were better pitchers out there. Rick Hahn is the reason we are depending on rookie pitchers to throw their arms out in a THIRD game in the playoffs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The season was in freaking jeopardy multiple times due to covid. Imagine trading some big minor league pieces and then the season gets cancelled.

This wasn't the year the white sox were expected to make a world series run. Trading away valuable assets would have been too risky. Most of our valuable minor leaguers are very young pitchers who have ZERO track record, especially given the cancelled minor league season. A trade with those guys would have been unlikely. People need to settle down.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

Yes I am writing this in the top of the 5th inning of our potential elimination game. We may still win this game but what an embarrassment. Everyone in the game thread is screaming at Renteria but honestly he doesn't have a choice. We went into the trade deadline with 2 starters and that was deemed good enough for a playoff run. TWO STARTERS! I can't stand Renteria but he cant will his pitchers to do well, that falls on roster construction.  When you are forced to go to a rookie coming off TJS, a rookie who has never pitched above AA, to be your Game 3 starter then the blame can't be put on you. That falls on the general manager. Rick Hahn sat on his hands after the trade deadline. Rick Hahn settled for Gio Gonzalez in the offseason when there were better pitchers out there. Rick Hahn is the reason we are depending on rookie pitchers to throw their arms out in a THIRD game in the playoffs. 

He wasnt forced to go to crochet that early.  Hahn constructed a team that won big this year and has a core group locked up for the next 5 years.  He shouldve traded for lynn, but he wasnt the one making boneheaded lineups and bullpen decisions all year

give me a break, I agree that Hahn is a fucking horrible GM (the whole front office is shit tbh)

But Renteria might be the worst Sox manager in my lifetime, including Manuel and Ventura 

I've never seen a guy make so many boneheaded mistakes as a pro manager.  He isnt qualified to be anything more than a 3b coach

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

yeah wrong.. We should not have traded for a SP.. Dunning looked great and Cease was passable.

I dont have faith in cease long term.  I wouldve traded him, collins, and a mid tier prospect for lynn, which i think wouldve been enough.  Might even have been enough without the prospect

41 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I said this in the game thread but I’m adding it here. There’s some irony in saying we should have traded youth for a veteran when Semien, Bassitt, and to a lesser extent Montas were all key for the A’s so far in this series.

Ironic isnt it?  When your GM is that bad at his job, and doesn't have to worry about being held accountable 

Renteria played checkers with chess pieces today...there was a better way to the end of this game and going with Crochet first was dumb IMO, then throwing rodon in was a checkmate.  Rodon threw everything off that proceeded him.

I would've went marshall/foster for 2 to 4 innings, then crochet/hauer for 2 to 4, then bummer/colome to end it.

• Like 1

I think it depends on what was available and what is the price.

Not mortgaging the future is good but the future isn't forever either, I.e 1 year is 20-25% of a typical competitive window and shouldn't be thrown away easily.

Thus it depends on what you have to give up. You don't want to give up a key piece but clinging on to 40 fv guys for "the future" might not be that smart either.

Hahn definitely should trade spare pieces like Rutherford and sheets before they lose any value or even get rule 5ed but of course you need to get back something and not total crap.

If Lynn was offered for let's say sheets and Rutherford hahn definitely should have pulled the trigger but probably that wasn't on the table.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I said this in the game thread but I’m adding it here. There’s some irony in saying we should have traded youth for a veteran when Semien, Bassitt, and to a lesser extent Montas were all key for the A’s so far in this series.

Did Rick Hahn win the Series MVP?

Bassitt Win (1-0)

Montas Win (1-0)

Hahn should have added a bullpen arm or two, and gone with Detwiler over Rodon, which I have posted previously. Otherwise, I had no issues with what he did this year in season, and some of his lower end picks did very well (Foster and Heuer). I disagreed with those calling for a starter, and nothing good was available except Clevinger, and that would have been a disaster.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

5 minutes ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

Renteria played checkers with chess pieces today...there was a better way to the end of this game and going with Crochet first was dumb IMO, then throwing rodon in was a checkmate.  Rodon threw everything off that proceeded him.

I would've went marshall/foster for 2 to 4 innings, then crochet/hauer for 2 to 4, then bummer/colome to end it.

Rick tried to play chess but his rook and queen played like pawns:).

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

Thing is our pitchers didnt have it, so when 4 out of the 6 guys are walking every other batter then what? Your plan looks good on paper but when 1 guy gets hurt and then the second guy begins to suck, then the dominos begin to fall. Thats exactly what happened today.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Thing is our pitchers didnt have it, so when 4 out of the 6 guys are walking every other batter then what? Your plan looks good on paper but when 1 guy gets hurt and then the second guy begins to suck, then the dominos begin to fall. Thats exactly what happened today.

Good point.  Not on Ricky at all.  Let's give him a couple more years

2 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

In hindsight it was a mistake to not trade for a starter but cease and dunning looked not bad in the first half but especially cease struggled more than expected in the second half.

Cease was a ticking time bomb. Although I didn't think he could start walking MORE people. I just thought he'd stop getting so lucky with balls in play.

Dunning just ran out of gas. His stuff is also not good to the point where advanced scouting wouldn't catch up to him.

4 minutes ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

Good point.  Not on Ricky at all.  Let's give him a couple more years

Rick Hahn already did it. Rick Hahn hired Ricky in an "extensive" 24 hour job search. He gave him an extension last year.

The next General Manager should make the next managerial decision.

23 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

I dont have faith in cease long term.  I wouldve traded him, collins, and a mid tier prospect for lynn, which i think wouldve been enough.  Might even have been enough without the prospect

Cease hasn't even pitched long term.  I wonder how some of these younger guys would react to different coaching. 

7 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Cease was a ticking time bomb. Although I didn't think he could start walking MORE people. I just thought he'd stop getting so lucky with balls in play.

Dunning just ran out of gas. His stuff is also not good to the point where advanced scouting wouldn't catch up to him.

Yeah you are right, cease got super lucky the first half. But dunning actually looked solid in August before faltering in September 

2 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Who let you out of the basement? Get back there and someone lock  the door  LOL 

We are in the playoffs because of the moves Hahn made to make this team 

• Like 2