We are mad at the wrong Rick

reiks12

39 minutes ago, bmags said:

The Sox shouldn’t ever add to their team because Adam Dunn and Jeff Samardjiza sorry everyone wrap it up and go home.

The Sox shouldn’t subtract long term to add in years where they don’t have a legit chance at a title.

But honestly, with his track record, I’d be totally ok with “Rick Hahn is never allowed to trade for a veteran player again”. 

3 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

In hindsight it was a mistake to not trade for a starter but cease and dunning looked not bad in the first half but especially cease struggled more than expected in the second half.

You have to be objective if you want to be a champion. Cease was a fraud at the deadline, and you can't count on rookie Dunning to help carry you after a couple of starts through a penant race. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I said this in the game thread but I’m adding it here. There’s some irony in saying we should have traded youth for a veteran when Semien, Bassitt, and to a lesser extent Montas were all key for the A’s so far in this series.

Never trade with Oakland either.

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

You have to be objective if you want to be a champion. Cease was a fraud at the deadline, and you can't count on rookie Dunning to help carry you after a couple of starts through a penant race. 

If those guys weren’t enough to win this year, and we traded them for Lynn to get through this game, what are we going to do in games 4 and 5 of the LDS and LCS if we were to get through this game?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Did Rick Hahn win the Series MVP?

Bassitt Win (1-0)

Montas Win (1-0)

Hahn should have added a bullpen arm or two, and gone with Detwiler over Rodon, which I have posted previously. Otherwise, I had no issues with what he did this year in season, and some of his lower end picks did very well (Foster and Heuer). I disagreed with those calling for a starter, and nothing good was available except Clevinger, and that would have been a disaster.

I almost bumped the thread but thought better of it. Fun to read now know that the trade pieces there sunk us this series. 

edit: the trade is announced around page 80 if anyone wants to revisit

Edited by reiks12
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The Sox shouldn’t subtract long term to add in years where they don’t have a legit chance at a title.

But honestly, with his track record, I’d be totally ok with “Rick Hahn is never allowed to trade for a veteran player again”. 

If we had a real number three starter, we would have won today and probably beat the Astros too. Having a legit chance at a title is relative. I'm not saying to mortgage the future, but we also shouldn't be giving away seasons like we did this year. There is no guarantee we'd have as good of a chance as this year to reach the ALCS. In fact, this may have been our easiest path to the ALCS during our run. 

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If we had a real number three starter, we would have won today and probably beat the Astros too. Having a legit chance at a title is relative. I'm not saying to mortgage the future, but we also shouldn't be giving away seasons like we did this year. There is no guarantee we'd have as good of a chance as this year to reach the ALCS. In fact, this may have been our easiest path to the ALCS during our run. 

We “might” have won today, it was going to be rough no matter what, we absolutely saw then inexperience matter today at the plate. And who is pitching game 4 and 5 against the Astros?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I almost bumped the thread but thought better of it. Fun to read now know that the trade pieces there sunk us this series. 

Thanks, wasn't on this site until this year. Some of those posts didn't age well, but will post the one that has from the owner of the keeper league I took over (he drafted a great team).

On 12/9/14, @thxfrthmmrs said: Bassitt? f***KKKKKKK

The echo is still reverberating through Oakland Coliseum Rickey Henderson Field.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Thanks, wasn't on this site until this year. Some of those posts didn't age well, but will post the one that has from the owner of the keeper league I took over (he drafted a great team).

hah, @thxfrthmmrs for White Sox GM

Edited by reiks12
  • Love 2

43 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The echo is still reverberating through Oakland Coliseum Rickey Henderson Field.

Lol shit I remember this. I was a big fan of Bassitt back then, along with a few others on this board. But I just never thought it would come back to haunt us 6 years later.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Bassitt, Semien, and Montas probably don't develop here.  Even if they did they are probably traded as part of the tear down.  Lamenting their loss feels silly.  They aren't why the Sox today. 

nobody here is lamenting their loss

3 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

I dont have faith in cease long term.  I wouldve traded him, collins, and a mid tier prospect for lynn, which i think wouldve been enough.  Might even have been enough without the prospect

The fact that Lynn was not moved makes me think your proposed trade wouldn't have been enough. 

Sox fans should be pretty uneasy about Hahn and KW heading up this rebuild, based on their past transactions.  Not many people give up players like Semien, Bassitt, Tatis Jr (beasting it right now in the playoffs btw), and even Montas for bags of balls and still keep their jobs.  Those misses by Hahn & co. are huge red flags as to their eye for talent.  We very well could see more players sniped by other teams because they know our front office cannot properly identify (or develop) talent.  Rick Hahn is very bad at his job and could single handedly fuck up the next 5 to 10 years for this team.  He is REALLY REALLY BAD at his job.  Even worse than Anthopoulos, and he was horrendous.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, supernuke said:

The fact that Lynn was not moved makes me think your proposed trade wouldn't have been enough. 

Unless the Rangers really have bad scouting reports on Cease they'd have been fools to not take a chance on him. That's way better than you're supposed to get for a rental.

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Unless the Rangers really have bad scouting reports on Cease they'd have been fools to not take a chance on him. That's way better than you're supposed to get for a rental.

or we overvalue Cease and the Cubs knew what they were giving up?  that fangraphs piece kinda shines a spotlight on what his issues are, a guy who throws 99 and can't strike anybody out is kind of underwhelming 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

We “might” have won today, it was going to be rough no matter what, we absolutely saw then inexperience matter today at the plate. And who is pitching game 4 and 5 against the Astros?

Ah yes, only make a move of improvement when you have absolute certainty that it will win you a championship...so never.

Thinking a #3 pitcher is going to take you from 72 to 92 wins is a lot different than having a playoff spot secured with a month in the season to go.

You know what you don’t have certainty over? That Abreu or Anderson will ever be this good again. That our bullpen will be this good. That Giolito will be. 

This shtick of always forcing every thing into a samardjiza framework is just a different version of greensoxs hero worship gimmick. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

Ah yes, only make a move of improvement when you have absolute certainty that it will win you a championship...so never.

Thinking a #3 pitcher is going to take you from 72 to 92 wins is a lot different than having a playoff spot secured with a month in the season to go.

You know what you don’t have certainty over? That Abreu or Anderson will ever be this good again. That our bullpen will be this good. That Giolito will be. 

This shtick of always forcing every thing into a samardjiza framework is just a different version of greensoxs hero worship gimmick. 

Giolito and Anderson have been this good for 2 years, so yeah I expect them to repeat.

Abreu might not be as good but you should hopefully have a better Moncada, Vaughn and a RF to help take the pressure off.

You'd also hope to not leave 87 runners in scoring position in a series.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, bmags said:

If this turns out to have been the White Sox’s best chance at a title before another rebuild, and the best we do is make it to the first round of an expanded playoff and wish we had Lance Lynn to get to the second round...we are in way worse shape than I could ever have imagined.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, almagest said:

Giolito and Anderson have been this good for 2 years, so yeah I expect them to repeat.

Abreu might not be as good but you should hopefully have a better Moncada, Vaughn and a RF to help take the pressure off.

You'd also hope to not leave 87 runners in scoring position in a series.

Giolito paired with Grandal still should give one pause.   Hopefully Lucas has enough confidence in reserve now not to let it get to him. 

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Giolito paired with Grandal still should give one pause.   Hopefully Lucas has enough confidence in reserve now not to let it get to him. 

If Gio can't work with another catcher then we might as well trade him to wherever McCann goes.