We are mad at the wrong Rick

reiks12

29 minutes ago, almagest said:

If Gio can't work with another catcher then we might as well trade him to wherever McCann goes.

The problem is, Lucas isn't the only one.

• McCann rCERA 2019 2020 3
  • Grandal rCERA 2019 -5 2020 -2

• McCann cERA 2.82
  • Grandal cERA 4.74
Edited by South Side Hit Men

2 minutes ago, supernuke said:

I would expect there will be some regression for Giolito, at least initially.

He needs to figure it out.

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The problem is, Lucas isn't the only one.

• Grandal cERA 2019 -5 2020 -2
  • McCann cERA 2019 2020 3

You know that cERA is highly variant and overall pretty unreliable, right?

7 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Yes I am writing this in the top of the 5th inning of our potential elimination game. We may still win this game but what an embarrassment. Everyone in the game thread is screaming at Renteria but honestly he doesn't have a choice. We went into the trade deadline with 2 starters and that was deemed good enough for a playoff run. TWO STARTERS! I can't stand Renteria but he cant will his pitchers to do well, that falls on roster construction.  When you are forced to go to a rookie coming off TJS, a rookie who has never pitched above AA, to be your Game 3 starter then the blame can't be put on you. That falls on the general manager. Rick Hahn sat on his hands after the trade deadline. Rick Hahn settled for Gio Gonzalez in the offseason when there were better pitchers out there. Rick Hahn is the reason we are depending on rookie pitchers to throw their arms out in a THIRD game in the playoffs. 

I don't think you can ever blame the GM on moves not made. That falls mostly on Jerry's budget.  For moves he did make sure.

5 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Cease hasn't even pitched long term.  I wonder how some of these younger guys would react to different coaching. 

I would like cease to abandon his flat 4 seam fastball and move towards more of a 2 seamer sinker pitcher.  If his spin rates can’t be improved on his 4 seamer than it’s just a meatball pitch

53 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

I would like cease to abandon his flat 4 seam fastball and move towards more of a 2 seamer sinker pitcher.  If his spin rates can’t be improved on his 4 seamer than it’s just a meatball pitch

Cease FB spin rate is elite at 2500 (95th percentile), he just has no idea where it is going.

13 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Cease FB spin rate is elite at 2500 (95th percentile), he just has no idea where it is going.

Shouldve clarified.  As the fg article that came out on him that too much of his spin is inactive because its a result of him cutting the ball.  That doesnt seem to fit with a 4 seamer which you want to rise, not to cut.  A 2 seamer on the other hand you do want to cut a bit.  So a switch to a two seamer would take advantage of how he is spinning his fastball, versus the 4 seamer thats coming in flat

54 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Shouldve clarified.  As the fg article that came out on him that too much of his spin is inactive because its a result of him cutting the ball.  That doesnt seem to fit with a 4 seamer which you want to rise, not to cut.  A 2 seamer on the other hand you do want to cut a bit.  So a switch to a two seamer would take advantage of how he is spinning his fastball, versus the 4 seamer thats coming in flat

Oh yeah I see. That should be easier to correct than a lack of spin rate though.

Not sure how far the sox are with pitch design though.

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If this turns out to have been the White Sox’s best chance at a title before another rebuild, and the best we do is make it to the first round of an expanded playoff and wish we had Lance Lynn to get to the second round...we are in way worse shape than I could ever have imagined.

Didn't say it was their best chance, but it was A chance, and if we marginalize every chance we get in the next decade because "lol this team isn't one piece away" each year then yes you will have a lot of first round exits at best. B

14 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

give me a break, I agree that Hahn is a fucking horrible GM (the whole front office is shit tbh)

But Renteria might be the worst Sox manager in my lifetime, including Manuel and Ventura 

I've never seen a guy make so many boneheaded mistakes as a pro manager.  He isnt qualified to be anything more than a 3b coach

🙄

• Thanks 1

I remember when the White Sox fired Tony LaRussa. JR made sure  that LaRussa had another job lined up with Oakland. The Angels just fired there GM. Maybe the Angels might want to hire Hahn. If so, they can have him. Maybe just maybe JR will come to his senses and give me my long awaited interview for the White Sox GM job. I will give him the most memorable interview he ever had. I've written JR numerous letters requesting to be interviewed for the GM job. Maybe  now my time is coming.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, WBWSF said:

I remember when the White Sox fired Tony LaRussa. JR made sure  that LaRussa had another job lined up with Oakland. The Angels just fired there GM. Maybe the Angels might want to hire Hahn. If so, they can have him. Maybe just maybe JR will come to his senses and give me my long awaited interview for the White Sox GM job. I will give him the most memorable interview he ever had. I've written JR numerous letters requesting to be interviewed for the GM job. Maybe  now my time is coming.

Sure why not....are you willing to sign Bauer?

The Sox had their opportunities all series and did not execute. 

Sox left a ton of men on base with some of the best batters at the plate. The team was in a prime position to win the series and unfortunately, did not capitalize. 

Rodon was a head scratcher considering how horrible he has been. Dallas putting up a dud in Game 2 was also not helpful. The Sox will learn from this and hopefully be better for it next year. The starting rotation and RF seem to be the biggest priorities so hopefully those adjustments will be made in the offseason.