Guess the pitcher we add in the offseason

thxfrthmmrs

A bittersweet season is in the books. The silver lining of the early playoff exit is there is no excuse for us not to add quality starting pitching in the offseason. Had we had a competent #3 starter, we would have easily came out on top.

Who is the most likely addition? Is Bauer dream realistic? Is Kluber worth the gamble? Does Stroman move the needle? Can Q still pitch? Are there realistic trade candidates?

Edited by thxfrthmmrs
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

Yeah, I still agree with this.....and also agree it's not the solution or what this team really needs....but I think it's the correct guess. 

Probably realistic, but I don't feel much more comfortable with Q starting today's game than Dunning. In that case, we pretty much have to expect 2/3 from the Cease/Dunning/Kopech group to take big steps if we are to become legit contenders.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Probably realistic, but I don't feel any more comfortable with Q starting today's game than Dunning. In that case, we pretty much have to expect 2/3 from the Cease/Dunning/Kopech group to take big steps if we are to become legit contenders.

Gonna need depth. Sox had trouble covering 60 games.

An issue is the sox have so many question marks.

Dunning, cease, kopech and even Reylo all could step up next season but neither of them is a sure thing.

Realistically you can hope for two of them stepping up so you would need one more but in an ideal case 3 of them step up and the sox rotation is pretty solid.

Of course also the worst case could happen and only one of them steps up and then you need two. 

Lots of uncertainty.

I think they need 2 pitchers.  Bauer would be great.  Stroman would be too.  Also I would see who you is available in a trade.  I'd be willing to trade Kopech/Cease/Dunning/Lopez/Setiver(yeah, no value), now, not all of them obviously, but I'd sure put two of them in a package for the right guy.  

Edited by turnin' two

5 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

An issue is the sox have so many question marks.

Dunning, cease, kopech and even Reylo all could step up next season but neither of them is a sure thing.

Realistically you can hope for two of them stepping up so you would need one more but in an ideal case 3 of them step up and the sox rotation is pretty solid.

Of course also the worst case could happen and only one of them steps up and then you need two. 

Lots of uncertainty.

Hopefully Kopech is what we all hope he is.

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

You can make that list with basically every team that doesn't win the World Series. 

Yeah probably. I think it's better to err on the side of too much pitching, on paper it might look overcrowded but in reality if you have 6 solid starters there might be a crunch the first couple starts but then it usually gets sorted out quickly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

There is something about the interactions where I think right now, Bauer wants to play for the White Sox.  I think the question will be what it always is, money. 

He clearly loves TA, had McCann on his show, fits really well on our #ChangeTheGame culture, we have a big hole with starting pitching, he's probably gonna win the NL Cy Young especially after blowing through the Braves yesterday... it's really a fantastic fit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

Realistically, that was ALWAYS going to be the case with this rebuild. One of them had to turn into "the goods"

If everything pans out. Right now, I don't have good confidence in any of the 3 to be a quality #2 or 3 starter next year. Rest of the team is ready, offense, defense, bullpen (with another high leverage piece), waiting to see if these guys develop would be wasting a year of our window. I am fine if these guys are penciled in as 4/5 and let them develop, not a 2/3.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dominikk85 said:

Yeah probably. I think it's better to err on the side of too much pitching, on paper it might look overcrowded but in reality if you have 6 solid starters there might be a crunch the first couple starts but then it usually gets sorted out quickly.

There will never be enough pitching. Didn’t the Dodgers have 7 starters last year, and wound up needing more?