Guess the pitcher we add in the offseason

thxfrthmmrs

3 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I think this offseason will show us how committed JR is in winning another WS. On paper, adding Bauer alone makes this team a legit WS contender. He is going to cost us, and may make some headlines off the field, but it's well worth it.

I think we, as well as numerous other teams, need to be prepared for huge budget cuts this offseason

38 minutes ago, Tony said:

Absolutely. The Sox actually do some have some "depth" at SP at the current moment, but we know some of those guys in that current group aren't going to develop into more than a #5, we just don't know who that is right now. Hahn needs to know (or guess) and trade those guys for a reliable #2-#3. They need another guy they can actually count on, probably two.

As usual, I’m in with “trading away multiple young pitchers for a middle of the rotation arm is a rotten idea”. Find some depth with cheaper arms like Q, bring out our top 7 or 8 guys, and see who seizes the opportunity. If we had tried to “go for it” in 2019, the number one guy we would have removed from the rotation in the offseason would have been Giolito.

4 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Wouldn’t it impact all teams? If it does, does that worsen Sox chance at Bauer in particular?

Who knows? That’s just one part of the tale. Is some team willing to risk much bigger financial losses than us? Maybe, there have been teams like that historically.

42 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think we, as well as numerous other teams, need to be prepared for huge budget cuts this offseason

I actually think the time to strike is now when other people are cutting. The market will be lower at least for short term. Good business organizations can strike while their competition can’t or won’t. The Sox can go into a potential negative for a year or two and come out great because the bulk of their talent cost little . Now is the perfect businessman’s time to strike . Get your pitcher and your right fielder . 

1 minute ago, quickman said:

I actually think the time to strike is now when other people are cutting. The market will be lower at least for short term. Good business organizations can strike while their competition can’t or won’t. The Sox can go into a potential negative for a year or two and come out great because the bulk of their talent cost little . Now is the perfect businessman’s time to strike . Get your pitcher and your right fielder . 

Agreed, but does that seem like something Jerry would do?

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

What  I would like 1.) Bauer 2.) Stroman 

What we will get...hope that all of the kids take a step forward.  A promise to commit to the process and hopefully Kopech comes and is strong.  

Then your backup plans are 

Alex Wood

Homer Bailey

Hard pass on a Homer Bailey. His ERA at The Cell would be in the 8-9 range. 

1 hour ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I think this offseason will show us how committed JR is in winning another WS. On paper, adding Bauer alone makes this team a legit WS contender. He is going to cost us, and may make some headlines off the field, but it's well worth it.

Agree completely.  Will see how serious they are about winning.  Bauer vaults us to one of the favorites in AL.  Depending on what the organization knows about Kopech would dictate whether another pitcher needs to be signed.  I think the absence of a minor league season really hurt Dunning.  I still think he could develop as a decent starting pitcher.  Idk what to think about Cease except I am really disappointed.  Feels like it's going to be Lopez all over again.  Will give him opportunity after opportunity until it's clear he is never going to get there.

12 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Same could be said for Gio and Detwiller before the season started.  Yet here we are. 

Homer Bailey is not your answer for plan E at this point.... he pitched in 2 games this season and was DFA’d by the Twins at the end. 

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

I think they need 2 pitchers.  Bauer would be great.  Stroman would be too.  Also I would see who you is available in a trade.  I'd be willing to trade Kopech/Cease/Dunning/Lopez/Setiver(yeah, no value), now, not all of them obviously, but I'd sure put two of them in a package for the right guy.  

Bauer + Stroman would make them easy ALC favorites as well as a top 2 or 3 team to win the pennant.

Giolito, Keuchel, Stroman, Dunning, Cease.  Quintana spot starter innings eating vet.  Kopech whenever he pushes someone out of the rotation.  Dunning & Cease hopefully (wishful thinking) spend the offseason training with Giolito/his crew.  The talent is there but they still need work. 

1 minute ago, SouthWallace said:

Giolito, Keuchel, Stroman, Dunning, Cease.  Quintana spot starter innings eating vet.  Kopech whenever he pushes someone out of the rotation.  Dunning & Cease hopefully (wishful thinking) spend the offseason training with Giolito/his crew.  The talent is there but they still need work. 

I’d be really happy with Bauer or Stroman plus Quintana. That provides some much needed depth to the rotation while the young guys either work in the minors (or Schaumburg) or out of the bullpen.