Guess the pitcher we add in the offseason

thxfrthmmrs

15 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Bauer + Stroman would make them easy ALC favorites as well as a top 2 or 3 team to win the pennant.

Yeah, and obviously very unlikely to happen.  One of them would be great.  Trying to think of other guys that could be helpful that may be available, I can come up with Danny Duffy or Brad Keller, Nate Eovaldi and Lance Lynn.  Can't really think of any other obvious ones.  Eovaldi is interesting, but Boston would obviously have to cover some of the money and he is such a crazy injury risk.  I know there are always other guys available, I can't really think of others.  

27 minutes ago, RG23SoxFan said:

Agree completely.  Will see how serious they are about winning.  Bauer vaults us to one of the favorites in AL.  Depending on what the organization knows about Kopech would dictate whether another pitcher needs to be signed.  I think the absence of a minor league season really hurt Dunning.  I still think he could develop as a decent starting pitcher.  Idk what to think about Cease except I am really disappointed.  Feels like it's going to be Lopez all over again.  Will give him opportunity after opportunity until it's clear he is never going to get there.

The one thing I find encouraging about Cease is how highly Giolito talks about his work ethic and drive to get better. I think that focus alone gives him a better chance to succeed than Lopez, and sounds very similar to what Giolito was facing and overcame through hard work and determination.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

A bittersweet season is in the books. The silver lining of the early playoff exit is there is no excuse for us not to add quality starting pitching in the offseason. Had we had a competent #3 starter, we would have easily came out on top.

Who is the most likely addition? Is Bauer dream realistic? Is Kluber worth the gamble? Does Stroman move the needle? Can Q still pitch? Are there realistic trade candidates?

Only one worth it is bauer. That said he would probably kill coop. 

Edited by JoshPR
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

The one thing I find encouraging about Cease is how highly Giolito talks about his work ethic and drive to get better. I think that focus alone gives him a better chance to succeed than Lopez, and sounds very similar to what Giolito was facing and overcame through hard work and determination.

I hope so, this was a weird season for all involved.  Hopefully he can work at it in the offseason and a full spring training will help him.

9 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Sounds a lot like Trubisky. 

Just now, Good Guys said:

Do we absolutely need to sign a starter?  Giolito, Keuchel, Dunning, Cease, and then Reylo, Crochet, Kopech?

Did you not watch the game? Or any games this year? Every name after the first 2 either underperformed significantly, is toast, may be hurt, or is an unknown after not throwing a pitch for 2 years.

2 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

An issue is the sox have so many question marks.

Dunning, cease, kopech and even Reylo all could step up next season but neither of them is a sure thing.

Realistically you can hope for two of them stepping up so you would need one more but in an ideal case 3 of them step up and the sox rotation is pretty solid.

Of course also the worst case could happen and only one of them steps up and then you need two. 

Lots of uncertainty.

Ive been using that young pitchers take time argument forever and wanted 2 pitchers in the the off season last year and was constantly shot down here.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ive been using that young pitchers take time argument forever and wanted 2 pitchers in the the off season last year and was constantly shot down here.

They did, it’s just Gio was a lemon. They were never gonna pay for two big starters.

2 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

An issue is the sox have so many question marks.

Dunning, cease, kopech and even Reylo all could step up next season but neither of them is a sure thing.

Realistically you can hope for two of them stepping up so you would need one more but in an ideal case 3 of them step up and the sox rotation is pretty solid.

Of course also the worst case could happen and only one of them steps up and then you need two. 

Lots of uncertainty.

Ive been using that young pitchers take time argument forever and wanted 2 pitchers in the the off season last year and was constantly shot down here. Everyone thought the shiny new toys could just step right in and contribute just as most wanted to keep the same toys at the trade deadline during the season. SO yea we all saw what happens with young pitchers against the A's.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

There is something about the interactions where I think right now, Bauer wants to play for the White Sox.  I think the question will be what it always is, money. 

I agree.  Give him a 2/$80M deal and let’s win the fucking World Series next year.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

Threads like this really showcase how much this team takes advantage of its fan base, and the fans never learn lol

They aren't signing a single damn big name starter and its ridiculous to think otherwise.  The ceiling of player they sign would be the likes of Quintana, definitely not Bauer, come on.

2 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

If everything pans out. Right now, I don't have good confidence in any of the 3 to be a quality #2 or 3 starter next year. Rest of the team is ready, offense, defense, bullpen (with another high leverage piece), waiting to see if these guys develop would be wasting a year of our window. I am fine if these guys are penciled in as 4/5 and let them develop, not a 2/3.

Yup, Kopech, Cease, & Dunning need to battle for those final two spots.  No way we enter a season with championship ambitions with any of them as our #3 starter.  And as good as Dallas was this year, we should try to bump him down a spot as he’s likely to regress next year.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

They did, it’s just Gio was a lemon. They were never gonna pay for two big starters.

Gio was not my idea of someone that qualified as another starting pitcher . I forget who i wanted ( really I did) Time for old threads revival but we had so many in the for season could be difficult to find the one where i was always told it wasn't necessary or the Sox wouldn't pay for it. Sucks that Wheeler chose not to sign with us . He had a great year .

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Gio was not my idea of someone that qualified as another starting pitcher . I forget who i wanted ( really I did) Time for old threads revival but we had so many in the for season could be difficult to find the one where i was always told it wasn't necessary or the Sox wouldn't pay for it. Sucks that Wheeler chose not to sign with us . He had a great year .

Roark, Miley and Lyles were guys they were interested in besides Gio.  All of them were awful beyond belief.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Agreed, but does that seem like something Jerry would do?

Not really, but dude is 84 years old and the clock is ticking for him.  Not to be grim, but if he really wants to see another World Series he needs to convince his ownership group to spend fairly big this coming offseason.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Roark, Miley and Lyles were guys they were interested in besides Gio.  All of them were awful beyond belief.

I might've wanted Miley but I think that was near the end of the off season when he was still unsigned . He did sign late didnt he ? Late as in February ? Same with Gio ? I also remember talking up Bumgarner so I'm never ashamed to say I was wrong . But I can't remember if there was someone else I really liked.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside