Guess the pitcher we add in the offseason

thxfrthmmrs

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Dude, don't change this to a covid excuse.  That's fucking lame.  Just own it

Jerry spends on his team in normal times when he's contending. 

He doesn't like to put all of his money in one player, but rather spread it out over 3-4 guys. 

This is 100% a covid excuse. 

I b****ed about him being cheap when it came to not signing Harper or Machado. If Jerry wasn't going to give the go ahead to Rick to sign either guy, they should have been up front about that with the fans. That's on Kenny and Rick. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Jerry spends on his team in normal times when he's contending. 

He doesn't like to put all of his money in one player, but rather spread it out over 3-4 guys. 

This is 100% a covid excuse. 

So lame.  Take that hot take the fuck on out

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think Kopech only goes if it’s a deal for someone like DeGromm.  But given the size of his contract, I’d rather just sign Baeur and keep Kopech for the back of the rotation.

Bauer should absolutely be the #1 target this offseason imho.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

That didn't happen in a world where fans aren't allowed at full capacity, if at all. 

It wouldn't shock me if they did absolutely nothing but make trades for guys on cheap deals. 

How much of our revenue comes from fan attendance?   And unlike other teams, we don’t have to finance any stadium costs when it’s not being used.  That’s a huge benefit for us vs. a lot of clubs.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

How much of our revenue comes from fan attendance?   And unlike other teams, we don’t have to finance any stadium costs when it’s not being used.  That’s a huge benefit for us vs. a lot of clubs.

And this ownership group has no debt on the team either.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Don't even entertain it past this.  He had already couched multiple separate excuses after his first take fell flat 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

And this ownership group has no debt on the team either.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There should be no excuse....we'll see. 

It's also about the CBA negotiations coming up. 

Jerry has been known to ratfuck his own team to get what he wants in a CBA during contentious negotiations. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Jerry has been known to ratfuck his own team to get what he wants in a CBA during contentious negotiations. 

I mean you can set yourself up for this, but none of us know what the financials look like right now, let alone at what the team is going to plan for.  I am not hopeful for big spending, but we do have some things working for our favor.  We will see.

With the nice extensions inked for the young core, this team should be in good shape financially to add free agent pieces.  Can you imagine what TA would be worth in free agency if we had not extended him previously.

Edited by wegner

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I mean you can set yourself up for this, but none of us know what the financials look like right now, let alone at what the team is going to plan for.  I am not hopeful for big spending, but we do have some things working for our favor.  We will see.

Neither am I. 

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Reinsdorf is 84 and doesn’t have 30 years of ownership ahead of him.  Do actually think he’d rather go to his grave making more money for his peers than winning a World Series?  Come on man, you’re better than this!

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Quintana is getting a $10M+ per year deal, so I don’t think it’s realistic to expect him in addition to a high-end starter.

I'd be skeptical about Quintana getting $10m per year in a normal, non-virus-hammered year.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Reinsdorf is 84 and doesn’t have 30 years of ownership ahead of him.  Do actually think he’d rather go to his grave making more money for his peers than winning a World Series?  Come on man, you’re better than this!

I've seen JRs act since day one of his White Sox ownership. All he cares about is making more money. From that standpoint he has been  the most successful White Sox owner in the teams history. Other than his financial success he has been a lousy owner.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yup, Kopech, Cease, & Dunning need to battle for those final two spots.  No way we enter a season with championship ambitions with any of them as our #3 starter.  And as good as Dallas was this year, we should try to bump him down a spot as he’s likely to regress next year.

I think Keuchel will likely see the biggest regression of everyone on the team. That said, I still see him as a solid 3. If we don’t resign McCann, it may have negatively affect Gio also.

SP should definitely be at the top of our shopping list, and we need more than a Quintana unfortunately.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd be skeptical about Quintana getting $10m per year in a normal, non-virus-hammered year.

Here are some SPs who got a $10M AAV or close to one the past two offseasons:

• Tanner Roark: 2/$24M ($12M)
  • Matt Harvey: 1/$11M ($11M)
  • Michael Pineda: 2/$20M ($10M)
  • Rick Porcello: 1/$10M ($10M)
  • Annibal Sanchez: 2/$19M ($9.5M)
  • Kyle Gibson: 3/$28M ($9.3M)
  • Julio Teheran: 1/$9M ($9M)
  • Trevor Cahill: 1/$9M ($9M)

You honestly think that in a normal economic environment a left-handed starter who is only one year away from a 3.5 fWAR season would be unable to land a 1/$10M deal?

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Here are some SPs who got a $10M AAV or close to one the past two offseasons:

• Tanner Roark: 2/$24M ($12M)
  • Matt Harvey: 1/$11M ($11M)
  • Michael Pineda: 2/$20M ($10M)
  • Rick Porcello: 1/$10M ($10M)
  • Annibal Sanchez: 2/$19M ($9.5M)
  • Kyle Gibson: 3/$28M ($9.3M)
  • Julio Teheran: 1/$9M ($9M)
  • Trevor Cahill: 1/$9M ($9M)

You honestly think that in a normal economic environment a left-handed starter who is only one year away from a 3.5 fWAR season would be unable to land a 1/$10M deal?

Homer Bailey put up 2.9 fWAR in 2019 and got $7 million. Wade Miley did 1.4 and 2.0 fWAR and then got 2/$15. Quintana was hurt this year, is trending down, and will be 32 next season. 

I guess 1 year $10 million someone might do but it's odd to describe a 1 year/$10 million deal as "$10M+ per year", and I could see someone giving him that Miley deal. 

40 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I've seen JRs act since day one of his White Sox ownership. All he cares about is making more money. From that standpoint he has been  the most successful White Sox owner in the teams history. Other than his financial success he has been a lousy owner.

I know people really believe this crap, but it is 100% clear that if he only cared about making money, he failed.  The money making is in the Pittsburgh model where you collect all of the national and TV money, and then put a minimal payroll on the field.

45 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Right he will take his "principles" to the grave with him and that's why the vast majority of Sox and Bulls fans in Chicago will celebrate the day when all of that will finally be buried in a hole, despite whatever Soxtalk's programmed opinion on the matter is.