Guess the pitcher we add in the offseason

thxfrthmmrs

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

When we're talking about "won't pay top free agents" we're talking about the Harper/Machado/Cole/Rendon tier. 

Sweet coincidence of Port-Au-Prince, my guy. They had an offer for Machado that was bonkers. The Padres swooped in as a surprise bidder and topped it in guaranteed money. You can re-litigate the past if you want, but they were willing to pay, they just were offering a blank check. They also failed miserably because they should have been prepared for that scenario.

They had the highest offer for Zach Wheeler. His girlfriend didn't want it.

They're offering contracts now. Can you  c h i l l.

• Like 2

I don’t think the Sox will be in on Bauer, so I’m really hoping for Kevin Gausman. Yes he called San Fran home but look at these stats. 

10 GS, 59.2 IP, 3.62 ERA/3.09 FIP, 79K/11.9 Kp9, 118 ERA+, 2.4 BBp9.

Stroman would be a solid addition but I want guys who can strike people out. I also want to see the Sox go after Joe Musgrove of the Pirates.

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Sweet coincidence of Port-Au-Prince, my guy. They had an offer for Machado that was bonkers. The Padres swooped in as a surprise bidder and topped it in guaranteed money. You can re-litigate the past if you want, but they were willing to pay, they just were offering a blank check. They also failed miserably because they should have been prepared for that scenario.

Now comes the list of all of the qualifiers to move the goalposts again...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Quin said:

They were never signing either guy if the dollar amount didn't start with a 3. Any offer that didn't begin with a 3 wasn't a serious offer. 

8/250 wasn't a serious offer for Machado. 

Offering 5/125 for Wheeler was a step in the right direction. That's an offer that usually gets it done for a tier 2 FA. They still haven't made a competitive offer to a tier 1 FA since they chased A-Rod in 2001. They still got blown away. 

I don't know what Covid does to Kenny and Rick's allowance. That is and always was the point.

Idk how much they're going to be allowed to spend. 

If it wasn't for Covid I wouldn't be concerned about a lack of spending at all. Last winter proved that. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 hours ago, supernuke said:

I am curious what you believe is our most pressing need? My opinion is that without at least someone that can at least pass as a #2 starter any other acquisitions aren't going to matter. 

I know he's a question mark, but I think Kopech helps a ton next year...Additionally, I think Cease and Dunning both further develop, they both were good in this messed up season, that's 5 starters right there, but if a vet is wanted I don't think a Bauer is necessary...Maybe a Hamels or Q or Paxton or Kluber

I think for the sake of our pitching and lineup depth, McCann is a top priority to retain...What an advantage it is to have him and Grandal, I also think Vaughn will be up to DH and obviously that's major...maybe a platoon OF like Pederson is signed as well

I'm a proponent of retaining Colome as well, but understand the skepticism of some relating to that

In house signings are my priority, the young players will continue to develop and improve, which will be more beneficial than most FAs

3 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

I know he's a question mark, but I think Kopech helps a ton next year...Additionally, I think Cease and Dunning both further develop, they both were good in this messed up season, that's 5 starters right there, but if a vet is wanted I don't think a Bauer is necessary...Maybe a Hamels or Q or Paxton or Kluber

I think for the sake of our pitching and lineup depth, McCann is a top priority to retain...What an advantage it is to have him and Grandal, I also think Vaughn will be up to DH and obviously that's major...maybe a platoon OF like Pederson is signed as well

I'm a proponent of retaining Colome as well, but understand the skepticism of some relating to that

In house signings are my priority, the young players will continue to develop and improve, which will be more beneficial than most FAs

I agree with almost everything you said, but getting Bauer is exactly what we need.  Imagine having Wheeler this year...Game changer

10 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

II think for the sake of our pitching and lineup depth, McCann is a top priority to retain...What an advantage it is to have him and Grandal, I also think Vaughn will be up to DH and obviously that's major...maybe a platoon OF like Pederson is signed as well

I don't really care about $$ in Jerry's pockets and the investors, but they are not going to sign two mega contract catchers. McCann isn't going to sign with the White Sox to be a backup and I doubt they trade Grandal. I'd probably prefer they trade Grandal for two reliever prospects and have McCann and Collins but I doubt they do that. The idea they are going to have Grandal and McCann both just isn't a possibility. Sox have many holes to fill and I'd fill some by trading Grandal.

What is going to happen is next year it'll be Grandal catching most of the games and Collins catching 50 or so.

Yeah, we aren't re-signing James unless it is a mega steal. The money will be spent again on probably two starters and absorbing a RF either in FA or a trade.

The one thing making me feel better about this ending is knowing they will make this team better this offseason. This is year one of true contention coming up and they will be judged at the highest of standards. I'm glad Kenny and Hahn have already had a big conversation about free agency targets. 

18 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

You are right about Kopech. That is why i think he needs to be viewed as a bonus. Cannot rely on him because he is coming off injury and not playing much in his 3 seasons of being a MLBer. We need to proceed as if he is a number 4 guy at best and will be that way until possibly 2023. 

21 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

I guess you are just much more optimistic than I am. I would not want to go into next season having to rely on Kopech, Cease and Dunning all to have success. Especially considering possible regression of Giolito without McCann and while I do like Kuechel I'm not sure he can repeat what he did this year. Far to many question marks to be comfortable with what we have. I really think we need 2 starting pitchers to be added. On TOR and one at the back end. Bauer is the only TOR guy that is a free agent next year so he needs to be the #1 priority and then they can look at grabbing a guy like Q for the back half of the rotation. That would give us a very good starting rotation of Bauer, Giolito, Kuechel, Q and Cease.  Kopech for sure has to start in the minors and I think some additional time in the minors could help Dunning as well, make them force their way into the rotation instead of giving them a spot and hoping it works out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsideirish71 said:

I think their big name offseason pickup is kopech.  They will hope that Cease and Dunning and Reylo get better.  And they will roll with it.  

I really don’t think this will happen.  Even if they go cheap offseason, they will add one decent starting pitcher.

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I really don’t think this will happen.  Even if they go cheap offseason, they will add one decent starting pitcher.

I think the best bets are Quintana or Odorizzi. Outside chance at Stroman.  Sucks Pineda isn't free again because I would have liked him. 

I really want Bauer but I don't think that's happening. 

3 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

I think their big name offseason pickup is kopech.  They will hope that Cease and Dunning and Reylo get better.  And they will roll with it.  

They need to spend this offseason if they want to contend for a championship next year. I don’t know how they can go into next season thinking they will win a championship with what they have currently.

Edited by maloney.adam

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

They need to spend this offseason if they want to contend for a championship next year. I don’t know how they can go into next season thinking they will win a championship with what they have currently.

If no one else is spending because of COVID, you can convince yourself of just about anything.

29 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If no one else is spending because of COVID, you can convince yourself of just about anything.

Ok, we all get that you believe covid will ruin the offseason.  Can you please just indulge the discussion instead of pissing in Cheerios here, because we have about 6 months here of zero baseball and nothing but bullshitting from here on out to fill it up 

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Ok, we all get that you believe covid will ruin the offseason.  Can you please just indulge the discussion instead of pissing in Cheerios here, because we have about 6 months here of zero baseball and nothing but bullshitting from here on out to fill it up 

There are still ways to improve the team even if COVID screws up the ability to sign things like we'd want. Every time, and I mean every time someone gives the absolute statement "we must spend this offseason" in any form, that should be the reply, because it's true for now. 

You can find plenty of places where I'm indulging the discussion right now. That's the one clause I can't indulge without the caveat of "nightmare universe" being noted. 

5 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Problem with an player doing this is a depreciation in value. By February, teams may not be willing to spend and now you are screwed. 

I think it will be a delayed market due to Covid losses. We might not see normalcy until next mid-season. Some teams might target certain players with a plan but others won't be bidding. Sounds pretty legit that teams are losing money.